Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Sound for dayz - ASUS Xonar DSX  (Read 7413 times)

Offline eKC0mm

Sound for dayz - ASUS Xonar DSX
« on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 12:09:04 PM »
I'm looking at this budget sound card. I have heard many good things about it from other gamers looking for quality with a good price. What do you guys think? anyone have experience with this card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132053

Theres also some info there about being able to replace the op-amp on the card. What does this mean? Is it worth it?
eKComm - Team Non-Sense

Offline KARI-30

Re: Sound for dayz - ASUS Xonar DSX
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
I had shorty a ASUS Xonar and I had to return it because it didnt work correctly with AA2. But maybe it was just because of my setup.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 13:01:49 PM »
I don't have a ton of experience with ASUS cards but I got one for a customer and it was good. I'd say to ignore the opamps for now. Unless you need 7.1 or DTS/Dolby then I'd highly suggest getting something external. There's not a lot of external products at the $60 range but that's not too far off, you could save a bit more and get a nice setup. It's been a while since I've kept up on audio products but as usual, http://head-fi.org has good info :) That said, I really enjoy my Schiit Modi for $100 bucks. USB power, small, simple circuit and it just works, no hassle. You could get one of these and a budget tube headphone amp on eBay.

Kari, if the card was defective, you should have tried a new one.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline KARI-30

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 14:00:13 PM »
I didnt know if it was the card or the fact it was AA2 on W7. I went for Xfi to be sure.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 14:02:33 PM »
I didnt know if it was the card or the fact it was AA2 on W7. I went for Xfi to be sure.

Either it did or didn't work for all programs/games. Just because you can't hear enemies across the map in AA doesn't mean the sound card is faulty :)

Offline eKC0mm

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 14:26:56 PM »

It was W7. The competitive community pretty much stayed with XP because W7 had changed something, i dont know exactly what it was, but people were unable to hear as well.

Anyways, i know people who bought the ASUS Xonar but a couple also got external headphone amps. I just wonder why?
eKComm - Team Non-Sense

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 14:51:13 PM »
Microsoft rebuilt the audio stack to make it better and add an API to allow direct access to the sound device to bypass the system. It absolutely boggles my mind how people constantly have problems with Vista/7/8 audio and AA.

External headphone amps are always a good idea. The reason being is that all drivers (headphones, speakers, etc) need power. They are a physically moving device. Without enough power available, that device cannot perform to it's maximum and that's when you get audio quality loss.

A reason for an external device is that computers are very noisy with many high-frequency sources inside and while there are quality power supplies, they are all switching types and that is very dirty power for analog audio. While the Schiit Modi unit I have is USB powered, it has a filter circuit in it that effectively isolates it.

Offline KARI-30

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:59:47 PM »
Just because you can't hear enemies across the map in AA doesn't mean the sound card is faulty :)

I didnt return the card because I couldnt hear enemies across the map. The reason I returned it was that after every bullet being shot there was a high pitched clicking sound that wouldnt go away, which made it unplayable. And the soundcard has no effect on how far you hear. There are fixed breakpoints inside the game how far you can hear. So no matter what soundcard you have you hear the enemies on the same distance. You only hear clearer with some cards, but the distance is unchanged.

Offline [K][K].pcqdbt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:19:50 PM »
Maybe a second-hand sound card could be also an option. Mine has an EMU10k1 chip, and I bought it for less than 10$.

Offline 1m50ry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:33:09 PM »
kari porad scrimujete?nekdy bych si zahral ale uz ani nevim to ts co mate.jak de ta soutez

Offline eKC0mm

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:44:24 PM »
Spanky, im confused your Schiit Modi is external via USB? I'd almost want to find a creative way to mount it inside my case lol

Im guessing you have the Modi.Would that work well with my AD700's?
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:48:21 PM by eKC0mm »
eKComm - Team Non-Sense

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 17:43:04 PM »
I didnt return the card because I couldnt hear enemies across the map. The reason I returned it was that after every bullet being shot there was a high pitched clicking sound that wouldnt go away, which made it unplayable. And the soundcard has no effect on how far you hear. There are fixed breakpoints inside the game how far you can hear. So no matter what soundcard you have you hear the enemies on the same distance. You only hear clearer with some cards, but the distance is unchanged.
Ah, then it's defective. You should have given it another shot though :)

Spanky, im confused your Schiit Modi is external via USB? I'd almost want to find a creative way to mount it inside my case lol

Im guessing you have the Modi.Would that work well with my AD700's?
Yes, external. USB in, RCA out. No amplifier, it's just a DAC which is the core of a "sound card". You'd need an amplifier with it. I think Schiit calls theirs the Magna. Just one of many, many, many options. I like it for it's simplicity, driverless, powerless, and pretty low price.

Offline 1m50ry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 18:04:34 PM »
Spanky, im confused your Schiit Modi

Anything from Schiit cant be any good cmone its Schiit.......

want to find a creative way to mount it inside my case lol

I ll help you find Creative way....its called the X-fi

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 20:21:04 PM »
I ll help you find Creative way....its called the X-fi

Rumor has it that X-Fi stands for eXtremely Fucked Incompetence.

Offline eKC0mm

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 20:56:09 PM »
I have the X-Fi Fatality championship but the card doesn't fit in my PCI slots for some reason.
eKComm - Team Non-Sense

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager