Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Serial Comm Port  (Read 3090 times)

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Serial Comm Port
« on: Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 16:03:33 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with it?

I've recently started working at the Center for Biorobotics in Tallinn University of Technology and we need to use this to get the data of an experiment we'll be doing on Friday.

The project I'm working on is to make an affordable autonomous underwater vehicle capable of going to ship wrecks and exploring them safely.

Here's a sample video of a small model:

The problem I'm having is that, while my laptop works perfectly for Serial Comm port, it can't really be taken to the experiment since it's battery only lasts around 20 minutes.

I tried it with my new tablet/notebook , which would last a good 8 hours. However, since it's got Windows 8.1, the drivers for the prolific serial comm port don't work.
I've researched the problem a little and found others are having the same issue with windows 8.

Does anyone have any experience with such things and their drivers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline CS-ACI-

Re: Serial Comm Port
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 19:36:32 PM »
Hello,

Do you actually really mean serial port?

Some of us stopped using them last century. How ever I did use one before that. We worked with the raw data and wrote conversion programs to make sense of the data, sort of trial and error.

Do you mean USB but acting as a comm port?

For Win 8 I can offer no help other than checking the comm ports web site for drivers.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 02:27:35 AM »
Yes, it's the USB one.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline CS-ACI-

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 03:35:12 AM »
Hello,

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/supportDownload.aspx?FileType=56&FileID=133&pcid=85&Page=0

If you are asked for a user name and password GUEST for both.

Good luck.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 06:10:55 AM »
Thanks for the link, but there it just says Windows 8/8.1 is not supported. And I had already previously installed those drivers that they list there without success. I tried it again and the result is the same.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »
In my experience if USB->Serial don't work due to drivers you are pretty much fubar.
I recommend that the project get a new one that really support Win8/8.1

It would be cool if got something like this:
http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=404&zenid=b78c7b0f7c05cd3b43ea7facda29bc5b

Would even perhaps allow you to access the "water drone" without having physical access to it.

Offline Ares

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
I use one all the time, i got drivers with a CD when i bought the adapter. PM me for info where i bought it etc. (SINCE I GOT A WARNING LAST TIME I POSTED A LINK TO SOMETHING)

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 14:03:13 PM »
I use one all the time, i got drivers with a CD when i bought the adapter. PM me for info where i bought it etc. (SINCE I GOT A WARNING LAST TIME I POSTED A LINK TO SOMETHING)
No, you got a warning for posting a link to an illegal download of something. Big difference.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager