Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Post Your Hardware!  (Read 131783 times)

-Delta-

Re: Post Your Hardware!
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 22:47:50 PM »
Update!

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3.827 GHz
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-M EVO
Memory: 4GB (2 x 2GB) OCZ Fatal1ty DRR3 1600 OCZ3F1600LV4GK
GPU: GeForce 220 GT 1024MB DDR2
Sound Card: VIA High Definition Audio (On Board)
Main HDD: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM
Storage HDD: Hitachi DeskStar 500GB
PSU: Thermaltake 480 Watt

CPU-Z and Task Manager Stats:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/115304/pictures/computer/stats.png

Now if I could just get my hands on an SSD.  :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 01:52:55 AM »
Wow, looks like a beastly comp. Excellent for video processing. Dont forget to change the swap memory to something lower if you didnt already.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 14:22:43 PM »
Epic computers without sound cards haha.

Offline Alex

« Reply #33 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 14:28:39 PM »

I have no need for a sound card. It would just be wasted money.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 20:12:49 PM »
I know right :P

I have no need for a sound card. It would just be wasted money.
So you must never play games with audio or listen to music.

It's also funny to think that mans built Skrewy a computer that was a quad core Intel with 4GB of DDR2, thing is that I don't think Skrewy even used 4GB. A computer of that caliber and he doesn't even know the brand of his monitor... true waste IMO.

*EDIT*
Also, all that and only Dual Channel DDR3? Only 1 hard drive, not 2 of the 500GB's in RAID0? Tsk tsk tsk mans. I am disappoint.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 20:29:24 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #35 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 21:08:20 PM »
So you must never play games with audio or listen to music.

I do play games with audio, I just don't think a sound card would make a big enough of a difference to warrant the price. I also mostly listen to music on my Zune rather than my PC.

In other words, I would love to have a sound card, I just don't want to pay for one.

Offline Alex

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 21:31:29 PM »
Why in the world would you need 8gb of ram? Seems like a giant waste of money.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 21:39:02 PM »

Give it a few years and itll change from 8gb to 24gb

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #38 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 00:12:21 AM »

I got it because at the time a 2x2GB pack of 1066MHz DDR2 was $54. I got 2 (8GB for $110) to future-proof my computer. There's been few times that I've gone over 4GB but with the prices of RAM what they are now, I'm definitely glad I got it when I did.

mans, it's interesting that you got the same CPU model that Skrewy used to have.

-Delta-

« Reply #39 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 00:32:31 AM »
Wow, looks like a beastly comp. Excellent for video processing. Dont forget to change the swap memory to something lower if you didnt already.

I won't use it all that much for video processing, but I will use it for compiling code, running virtual machines, and college related projects. I kinda wish I had bought more ram, though. Overall, it is still a huge step over what I had. Windows 7 with only 2GB of ram was starting to slowly kill me. Everything now is more responsive, and I don't find myself waiting for the hard drive to swap out memory anymore. Simply put, I'm happy with my AMD hardware, and it was a whole lot cheaper than a 6-core Intel part. I'm hoping this upgrade will last at least until I graduate in about 3 and a half years. I know my old AMD Opteron 165 lasted me about 4 years, and hopefully this one will do the same.  :)

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #40 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 00:41:23 AM »
I won't use it all that much for video processing, but I will use it for compiling code, running virtual machines, and college related projects. I kinda wish I had bought more ram, though. Overall, it is still a huge step over what I had. Windows 7 with only 2GB of ram was starting to slowly kill me. Everything now is more responsive, and I don't find myself waiting for the hard drive to swap out memory anymore. Simply put, I'm happy with my AMD hardware, and it was a whole lot cheaper than a 6-core Intel part. I'm hoping this upgrade will last at least until I graduate in about 3 and a half years. I know my old AMD Opteron 165 lasted me about 4 years, and hopefully this one will do the same.  :)

Cheaper cause you have 6 cores and 6 threads.....the intel "counter part" as you called it has 6 cores and runs 12 threads. You can't compare them or call them "counter parts" because they aren't even in the same class.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

-Delta-

« Reply #41 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 01:07:27 AM »
Cheaper cause you have 6 cores and 6 threads.....the intel "counter part" as you called it has 6 cores and runs 12 threads. You can't compare them or call them "counter parts" because they aren't even in the same class.

That really doesn't make that much difference. You might see some speed increment in highly multi-threaded applications, but I hardly think that it would make the i7's that much faster. Sure, the Core i7 is ~10-20% faster clock-for-clock than the Phenom II's, but the Phenom II's can also level with them in some areas. Basically, I would be paying around four times more for a rather small increase in overall system performance. Therefor, when I have the choice between an AMD Phenom II X6 for $180 or an Intel i7 for $880, I think the AMD Phenom II would win my choice every time.

Sure, the i7 might be more elegant, but you have to pay for such elegance. And since I'm a rather poor college student, I don't think an $880 processor would be in my budget.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #42 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 01:12:55 AM »
My 2 cents:
Intel claimed (and was later backed up) that the HyperThreading Pentium 4's were 30% faster than the regular Pentium 4. That was quite a few years ago, I'm sure they've improved upon that technology. Also, don't the Intel's have more cache? I'm not justifying the Intel cost, I'm just saying that there obviously is a difference between the two. With the i series being a fair amount different than the Core series (adding a learning curve), I might move to AMD if it's that much cheaper down the road. Personally though, I'd love to have like 30 cores running at 500MHz. Chrome is one reason.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #43 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 01:16:27 AM »
That really doesn't make that much difference. You might see some speed increment in highly multi-threaded applications, but I hardly think that it would make the i7's that much faster. Sure, the Core i7 is ~10-20% faster clock-for-clock than the Phenom II's, but the Phenom II's can also level with them in some areas. Basically, I would be paying around four times more for a rather small increase in overall system performance. Therefor, when I have the choice between an AMD Phenom II X6 for $180 or an Intel i7 for $880, I think the AMD Phenom II would win my choice every time.

Sure, the i7 might be more elegant, but you have to pay for such elegance. And since I'm a rather poor college student, I don't think an $880 processor would be in my budget.

The i7 is up to 80% faster in multi-threaded apps. I don't care your reasons for buying what you bought just don't compare to CPU's that aren't comparable.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

-Delta-

« Reply #44 on: Monday, November 29, 2010, 01:30:05 AM »
The i7 is up to 80% faster in multi-threaded apps. I don't care your reasons for buying what you bought just don't compare to CPU's that aren't comparable.

So you're paying four times more for an 80% faster processor? I'll even give you some credit, maybe it's 100% faster, you're still going to par four times more for it? To justify shelling out that kind of cash, the i7 would need to be a little over 400% faster than the Phenom II.

And if you remember I was comparing cost, I wasn't comparing cost for performance.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager