Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Older Computer Work  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Older Computer Work
« on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 00:14:31 AM »
I've got someone that is wanting a old computer and it just so happens that I have one. A Dell Dimension l667r to be exact. That's right, Pentium 3 and Windows 98SE. This should be an interesting endeavor to make this thing work properly again. I think I'll be posting screenshots and updates :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Older Computer Work
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 00:35:27 AM »
I still have a P2 slot loading CPU and mobo =)

Lets see what teh spankeh cooks up

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 04, 2010, 00:07:41 AM »
:) Well I was able to find my old Windows 98SE cd in the "useless" stack that I have. I popped it in to check it out while I would see how well the computer would boot up.

CD looks ok:

But the computer is behaving weird. It starts up, displays something like "(c) 1999 Intel Corporation..." like for the video BIOS but nothing else. It just sits there then goes "beep beep". The monitor has a blank signal. Time to investigate...

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 04, 2010, 00:23:50 AM »
*dramatic music*

I love Dell computers. They were like the first to introduce visual POST errors in the form of 4 LED's. I didn't realize this model has them so I looked it up and it shows this error:

Other failure.   See Chapter 7, "Getting Help," of the Reference and Troubleshooting Guide for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 06, 2010, 05:13:29 AM »
I doubt it :P I gave up on the computer. I thought it worked at one point... I may try to hook it up to a CRT monitor (maybe it output a weird resolution or something) before I recycle it.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 06, 2010, 17:15:34 PM »
Maybe its too much work but see if the CPU and mobo are compatible. I know I put a CPU in a mobo once and the shit wouldnt boot up. I found out the CPU was on the edge of not supported :(

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 06, 2010, 18:14:53 PM »
It has the CPU that it shipped with as far as I know. The thing that stumps me is that the video initializes but it doesn't appear that the BIOS does and in an older computer, I'm not sure what that signifies :) I would spend more time on it but really, nobody can use a 667MHz CPU computer, maybe for a server but if you're using it for a server, I would imagine you would want more features than the stock Dell motherboard and BIOS has to offer. Kind of a crapshoot on this. At least I can recycle it and make a couple pennys off of the gold and other metals.

For the person that wanted an older computer, I hooked up a HP Pavilion 510A which is roughly double what the one I was working on in this thread. I have XP installed on it and all that jazz. Even though it's a lot newer, I don't think this is a highly rare opportunity to sell such an old computer. I've had a couple similar ones over the years and you almost have to give them away or part them out on eBay to people with emergencies :)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager