Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Might be buying a new processor  (Read 6707 times)

Offline Alex

Might be buying a new processor
« on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 15:22:58 PM »
I might be selling my Xbox 360 for $200 and I need a new processor. I was thinking about getting a low-end quad core or a higher-end dual core.
Maybe this for quad core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057
or this for dual core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

I'm still iffy on the subject of if my motherboard even supports a quad core. I know it is the right socket, LGA 775 but I'm not sure about the rest. I would prefer a quad core because it would last longer but I'm not entirely sure it will work. I've got a Dell Inspiron 530.

My motherboard supports chipsets P35,G33, and G31. Not sure if that means anything.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Might be buying a new processor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 17:27:08 PM »
Personally, I would go for the quad.

To find out if your motherboard supports it, get some numbers off of it. Typically these will be larger text in white, a good example is here:
http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/gaming/f/3344/t/19302941.aspx
If you don't want to root around inside your computer, you can enter the service tag (I think that's what it's called) onto the Dell Support site and get part numbers that way. The other two things I would be concerned about are the heatsink and power supply.

Your motherboard doesn't support P35, it IS a P35 chipset :) Which DOES support quads but apparently the 530's had varying voltage regulators and some wont support them.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 21:26:28 PM »
Just checked my motherboard and It is a G33M02 which doesn't support Quad Cores.  >:( I don't understand why they would make a motherboard compatible with quad cores but fail to put the correct number of voltage regulators to support one.

Looks like I'll be getting the Dual Core if I get the money. I'm just afraid that I won't see enough of a performance increase to warrant a $200 purchase.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 22:43:00 PM »
Killaman, the answer is simple; cost. There's motherboards that have solder pads/holes for various features such as AGP, PCI-E and other chips but if you strip features, it costs less. Also it appears that the 530's with the G33M02 have a lower power supply.

If I were in your position, I would buy a new motherboard. Something that could be a drop-in replacement (i.e. supports your current CPU, Memory, GPU) that you could use to overclock or that would support newer CPU's. There's only 1 problem with doing this though, OEM's like to have proprietary front panel connectors so I don't know what you would do. Again, if it was me, I would re-wire the front panel connectors but you may not have the means or desire to do that. Now, you COULD purchase a new mobo and case and probably be under $150 for a nice setup. Lastly, I don't think the E8500 is worth it for you unless you can overclock it which you can't.

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 22:50:38 PM »
Killaman, the answer is simple; cost. There's motherboards that have solder pads/holes for various features such as AGP, PCI-E and other chips but if you strip features, it costs less. Also it appears that the 530's with the G33M02 have a lower power supply.

If I were in your position, I would buy a new motherboard. Something that could be a drop-in replacement (i.e. supports your current CPU, Memory, GPU) that you could use to overclock or that would support newer CPU's. There's only 1 problem with doing this though, OEM's like to have proprietary front panel connectors so I don't know what you would do. Again, if it was me, I would re-wire the front panel connectors but you may not have the means or desire to do that. Now, you COULD purchase a new mobo and case and probably be under $150 for a nice setup. Lastly, I don't think the E8500 is worth it for you unless you can overclock it which you can't.

Power Supply should be good since I bought a 400 watt Corsair with my Graphics card. I can't buy a new mobo because that means I need a new OS since the OEM one is tied to the mobo. I do not have the money for a new OS and I would rather not steal one. I guess it is best to just wait this one out until I get enough money for everything.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 23:00:20 PM »
You bring up a good point with the OS. The only thing I have to say about this now is that in my experience, overclocking my E6600 from 2.4 to 3.2GHz REALLY helped with games. You'd be going from 2.5 to 3.1x which isn't as much but it's a new architecture as well. Also, IMO, games right now are tied between needing high clocks and using multiple cores. I think a the 8500 would improve your FPS quite a bit but if it were me, I don't think I would drop that kind of cash on an improvement of that scale.

Offline Alex

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 23:22:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will probably just wait because I can play most games on medium-high settings as it is. It is just those couple of games that run like shit that I want to play. BC2 being one of them.  :D

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 23:31:54 PM »
Yea, I kind of wished I tried the full retail version on my dual before I popped my quad in, I could give you a more definitive answer as to whether or not you would see a huge difference. The beta ran like crap but it's hard to tell what was going on in there. Look at it like this though, maybe by the time you upgrade, a i5 or i7 could be in your price range (not saying you're poor, but they're still outrageously priced).

-Delta-

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 23:34:21 PM »
I was going to say, if he bought a new motherboard he would need a new license for Windows. But, Killaman caught it.  :)

My Opteron 165 was originally clocked at 1.8GHz, and just overclocking it to 2.8GHz was like night and day. I don't know if you can overclock on a Dell, though, so that might be little help.

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 06:57:40 AM »
Yea, I kind of wished I tried the full retail version on my dual before I popped my quad in, I could give you a more definitive answer as to whether or not you would see a huge difference. The beta ran like crap but it's hard to tell what was going on in there. Look at it like this though, maybe by the time you upgrade, a i5 or i7 could be in your price range (not saying you're poor, but they're still outrageously priced).

Yeah, but then I would need a brand new system since i5s and i7s run on the new socket.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 15:37:54 PM »
You could keep your graphics card and hard drive :)

Offline Alex

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 16:09:13 PM »
You could keep your graphics card and hard drive :)

and the psu. but seeing as I do not have a job it will be hard to get that much money together. But thinking about it now, I might get the dual core because I have nothing else to spend $200 on and it's not like I earned the money.  :D I'm still on the fence though. Leaning towards no.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 16:27:34 PM »
You should figure out what you're using the most of. You might be maxing out your graphics card more than the CPU. The CPU will be an upgrade, it WILL help FPS and when you go to sell it to get a new rig, you'll get more since it's a newer high-end chip.

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 16:33:58 PM »
You should figure out what you're using the most of. You might be maxing out your graphics card more than the CPU. The CPU will be an upgrade, it WILL help FPS and when you go to sell it to get a new rig, you'll get more since it's a newer high-end chip.

It's not my GPU because it is far over the required and most of the time beats the recommended. My CPU barely makes it over the minimum required for some games. Playing Bad Company 2 used 100% of my CPU.

Well if I get the $200 I will most likely buy the dual core since I have nothing else to buy with it. And like you said, it will be worth more when I sell my rig for a new one.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 16:41:58 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 17:01:36 PM »
Alright, have you tried SetFSB? It works on some OEM computers. It is pretty much a overclocking program. If you can get an OK overclock out of your computer you may not have to buy a new CPU at all. I wouldn't spend 185$ or w/e that wolfdale is simply because its an upgrade. Save your money buy a new mobo that supports your CPU plus the one you want to upgrade to. Going the i3/i5 route right now is pointless, they are crap, they don't OC well they are going to be phased out by Q3 2011 and they just don't give a huge increase in performance over 775 to justify the price.
Here is a 775 mobo that should support your current chip and will overclock it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372
 You can run Linux for free or try and get a copy of Windows through MS's student program, or even just buy a new one. You can get W7 new for 99$ on the Egg and you still come in under budget. Buying a new CPU isn't the smart way to go. Buy a mobo overclock your CPU and if you don't get the performance boost you want you can sell your CPU and buy a quad.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager