Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Laptop  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Jason

• View Profile
Laptop
« on: Sunday, January 02, 2011, 14:25:14 PM »
sooo im going to get a laptop for college but i just cant seem to find the patience to wait until the summer so im thinking of getting one now since my birthday is coming up.  Im basically looking for the best bang for your buck laptop around $500.  Im not trying to push $600 because im most likely going to replace the usual 5400 rpm HDD with a 7200 rpm one.  ummm and yea, i probably wont do too much gaming but good integrated video or a card would be nice.  and i think anything with a core i3 350M or 370M is around my range because thats what ive been aiming for.  also a good webcam will be very handy...i guess at least a 1.3 MP.  sooo yea any suggestions?

I found this one on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220763&Tpk=Asus%20U50F-RBBAG05
tell me what you think.  can you top it?

Offline Jason

• View Profile
Re: Laptop
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 02, 2011, 17:18:18 PM »
i actually just found this and thought it was a better deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115861
Amazon has it for $599.97 but i like neweggs website better for showing specs haha

and i was thinking of getting this HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

But then i started thinking about SSD. Is is worth it?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 02, 2011, 18:27:15 PM »
Watch this page:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Really good deals will be posted here:
http://slickdeals.net/
I would subscribe to the RSS feed if I were you.

Outside of that, I know approximately jack shit about current hardware and even less about current laptops. If it's just for college work (and not highly demanding tasks) then I would be tempted to say pick one off Craigslist for about $300 and it should easily do what you want, that extra $200 would go a long ways in a new hard drive, memory, extended battery or maybe even a better CPU. Best bang for your buck will either be used or a crazy insane deal on Slickdeals. But if it's Slickdeals, you either buy it right when you see it or don't buy it at all. Good deals go very fast on Slickdeals. Buy now, think later is their unofficial motto.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 04:38:44 AM »
Laptops these days are getting so fast its ridiculous. My suggestion is keeping waiting on slickdeals and nab whatever is in your price range. If you don't like it you can sell it to some bloke for more than you paid.

Oh and here's a really good suggestion. When you buy a laptop, make sure you wipe the HD and install any 'normal' copy of windows on it. The software they ship with computers these days is getting progressively worse.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 16:35:58 PM »
Laptops these days are getting so fast its ridiculous. My suggestion is keeping waiting on slickdeals and nab whatever is in your price range. If you don't like it you can sell it to some bloke for more than you paid.

Oh and here's a really good suggestion. When you buy a laptop, make sure you wipe the HD and install any 'normal' copy of windows on it. The software they ship with computers these days is getting progressively worse.

its kind of hard to follow on there since its not just laptops...but ill take a look at it.

and does that mean that i will need to buy a windows disk? because i have XP but ive used the disk already for this computer. or can i just use the windows that comes on the HDD already?

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 16:51:21 PM »
Since you already have XP, you can use it on the laptop and its fine. I remember giving my friend a copy of XP back in the day and we both used the same CD key with no problems. However, I really suggest using Windows 7 Ultimate.

As for the Windows that comes with the laptop, chances are its going to be littered with software crap from the OEM and a locked recovery partition. Personally, I can't stand that stuff and I HAVE to wipe the HDD. Others can deal with it.

The best thing to do is dick around on the laptop and see if you can deal with whatever they put on the HDD. There's no point in wiping it if its usable.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 17:09:54 PM »
Stick around on Slickdeals, it's really worth your time.

As far as the OS, wiping would be best. I unfortunately don't have much experience re-installing Windows 7 on OEM computers that came with it but I think you can just grab a copy of the same version you have on the internet and install it with the key on the bottom of your laptop. As far as I know, there's no "Windows 7" discs that come with OEM computers these days, I'm pretty sure they just come with "recovery" CD's that are mostly useless.

As for downloading Windows on the internet, I believe it's 100% ok for any version. The legal problem comes when you crack or bypass activation thus giving yourself an unlimited free copy.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 21:40:39 PM »
I just ended up getting this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157503

so tell me if im getting this right on what i should do (keeping in mind my laptop has windows 7 pro):
-completely wipe the HDD
-download windows 7 pro online
-put in serial key given to me on laptop
-bada bing bada boom good to go

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 21:41:13 PM »
Yes

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 21:51:04 PM »
okay sweet...sounds simple enough

would you agree on this as a good guide to follow to burn windows 7 pro onto a disc?  Thats the only part im confused on as of now
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/how-to-burn-your-windows-7-iso-to-dvd-disc/3317

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 21:59:08 PM »
Shoulda watched Slickdeals =\

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=806177&t=2516593
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=806177&t=2505587

I wouldn't actually wipe your hard drive, let the Windows install disc do that (there's formatting and partition options when the time comes to install). Get yourself an untouched image (check out MyDigitalLife.info) and either use the Windows Image Burn tool or IMGBurn.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 22:18:15 PM »
yeaaa that IS a great deal...but im still happy with my purchase (i must think positive hahah)

okay soo ill just follow some steps to burn the disc and just stick it in and have that clear everything.  What do you mean by "get yourself an untouched image"

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 22:25:31 PM »
What do you mean by "get yourself an untouched image"

One that hasn't been modified by a 3rd party. You can integrate updates and programs into the install but you can also integrate viruses and other nasties. MyDigitalLife should have hashes on unmodified images.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 03:14:33 AM »
Yep. Basic steps:
1) Get untouched image
2) Integrate update packs if you want
3) Burn the image with IMGburn -- very straightforward program
4) Put the disc in the laptop and restart the comp to boot the disc
5) Use the disc to delete all the partitions
6) Make a new partition and install 7 on it
7) You've now got a very nice laptop

Oh and also heres a quick list of shit to do to boost the OS speed:
1) Disable system restore completely
2) Make sure the page file (swap memory) maximum is less than 512mb
3) Go to this site and disable unneeded services http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm
4) Run ccleaner to get rid of post-install junk that is supposed to be removed
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 03:19:19 AM by BlueBlaster »

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 07, 2011, 19:40:24 PM »
ill give you an update on how this goes in a few days.  I just had to send it back for a new one because the hard drive was making a very high pitched whistling noise when it was idle.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager