Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: 128GB Blu-Ray Disc  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
128GB Blu-Ray Disc
« on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 03:57:19 AM »
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174895/128GB_Blu_ray_Disc_format_slated_for_release?taxonomyId=19

Computerworld - The Blu-ray Disc Association this week announced plans to release a new commercial high-definition disc format that will offer up to 128GB of write-once capacity within months.

The association also said it plans to release a rewritable disc format for consumers that will support up to 100GB of data, or twice the Blu-ray capacity available today.

The specifications for the BDXL (High Capacity Recordable and Rewritable discs) format for commercial use and IH-BD (Intra-Hybrid discs) for consumers are expected in the next few months, the Blu-ray Disc Association stated in a press release posted on its website.

The BDXL specification is targeted at filling the data archiving needs of broadcasting, medical and document imaging companies.

Discs meeting the specs will have write-once, read many (WORM) options with 128GB capacity discs and rewritable capability on 100GB discs. A consumer version of BDXL will be offered particularly in those regions where BD recorders have achieved broad consumer acceptance, the association added.

Awesome news. Maybe this will make manufactures of Blu-ray drives want to drop their prices some cause 100$+ for one is stupid.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: 128GB Blu-Ray Disc
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 04:10:54 AM »
Why are they still investing in this?!?! Damn, I figured they'd have flash drives out by now. It's only a matter of time before flash memory production out-paces optical disc production.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 10:02:07 AM »
They are coming out with a 100gb rewritable disc as well.

Blu-Ray has many benefits over say backing up your files to a portable/internal hard drive or using 20 or 30 cd's. One its more durable than cd's and hard drives. Second a hard drive is really quite expensive if all you are doing is using it to back up files so you can reinstall your OS. I have over a terabyte of files I need to back up and can't justify paying 130$ for a hard drive I'll use once. On the same hand I can't use 20-30 cd's and then throw them away and pollute the environment. So backing up to Blu-Ray, for me, is a really good alternative depending on the price of disc's and if prices on drives come down. I imagine disc prices shouldn't be much more than 20-30$ a disc at launch as PS3 games are barley above 50$ at the moment. This has great promise for people like me and people who have large servers they wish to back up. Blu-Ray writable disc's probably wont be like cd's are any time soon as they will be more expensive and not many average users will use 100-128gigs on a disc. Flash memory is still WAY expensive a single 128gig SSD drive is over 350$. Yes its faster but in the mean time Blu-Ray disc's will be cheaper and more readily available. This might bring down SSD and usb flash drives down in price a little if it is priced right. The reason these will still be around is the same reason tape drives are still around. Its solid tech. If you get a blu-ray disc wet, no big deal dry it off. Flash memory is a little more sensitive to extreme heat, cold and humidity. I have read alot of accounts of SSD drives controller's failing cause of such things as heat/cold and humidity. If implemented right these new Blu-Ray disc's will fill the void for cheap high cap storage that's also very stable. Short of breaking the disc Blu-Ray disc's are extremely durable, that is one reason used PS3 games sell for almost double what used 360 games sell for. I have been a Blu-Ray advocate since the media wars started. Not because I'm a Sony fan boy but because its good tech.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 10:12:23 AM by Knight »
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 13:39:17 PM »
I remember when technology went from magnetic tape media to cartridges to optical discs. I wonder what we get after that, because Im tired of discs.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 14:58:54 PM »
With any luck, we'll get usb flash drives. I mean, what's better than that? Little access time and no mechanical movement, nothing to get scratched. Knight, why not just get a 1TB drive, aside from price, it's a good idea for you. I know you always bitch about not having space. Hang onto it, I'm sure you'll fill it up. Price is dropping pretty good. Got my WD10EARS like 2 months ago for $85 I saw em not too long ago for $75 or so, that might have been a deal though. 2TB is more like $130 :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 18:40:39 PM »
Yep, theres a lot of 2TB externals and internals floating around for the price of about $130. I happened to get my 1TB for about $100 when they were not really selling the 2TB yet.

Back on topic, i heard about this blu-ray disc and I liked the sound of it mainly because I always thought optical storage space was always tiny. The only problem is the cost needed to produce and the final cost of selling the drive and the disc =\

But I feel like people need to do more research on flash memory because not too long ago they halved the size of the modules in flash memory so its possible to now double the memory size to occupy the same physical space as the original with less heat and more speed. Dunno where that article went though.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 18:48:38 PM »
Well yea, look at DDR2 and DDR3. Higher capacity and faster speed, same size really. I know I've seen 64GB CompactFlash cards so why not put a little more research into that. The flash doesn't need to be writable which should make it cheaper.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager