Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: X-fi settings help !  (Read 17462 times)

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
Re: X-fi settings help !
« Reply #45 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
nicely said utrodia, those guys that think its an "unfair advantage" are mostly not competitive players or just bad, no hard feelings but its the way i see it, it has been discussed for ages and same result, if you cant keep it up with pro players then just get out of the way :)

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 10:50:05 AM »
Easier to be a good shot when you know where the enemy exactly isn't it
it is ganja but why should i keep my sound on default settings if every good player use the same settings(ini tweakZOR)

back in the better days it was known that every competitive player would adjust his sound/video, it wasnt a secret, many forums explained how and where to do it.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #47 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
wow, maybe then i will be soon a competitive player :)
have a new soundcard...

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #48 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 10:58:13 AM »
it is ganja but why should i keep my sound on default settings if every good player use the same settings(ini tweakZOR)

back in the better days it was known that every competitive player would adjust his sound/video, it wasnt a secret, many forums explained how and where to do it.
Just because you can do it and 'everybody' did it, doesn't mean it's right.

Like I said, though, X-Fi settings give you an advantage, but it's not (at this present moment at least) considered unfair.
The graphics settings... well I don't really know much about those, never played around with them too much, but I'm pretty sure seeing someone better in the distance fog than someone else, still gives you an advantage. And again, it's probably not unfair in the sense that you wont get banned for it, but it's an advantage none the less.

if you cant keep it up with pro players then just get out of the way :)
That's just silly. What you're implying is that the changes made to the game in order to gain an edge are evolving and if you don't stoop to the same level, you should just stop playing?
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 11:12:37 AM »
Just because you can do it and 'everybody' did it, doesn't mean it's right.

Like I said, though, X-Fi settings give you an advantage, but it's not (at this present moment at least) considered unfair.
The graphics settings... well I don't really know much about those, never played around with them too much, but I'm pretty sure seeing someone better in the distance fog than someone else, still gives you an advantage. And again, it's probably not unfair in the sense that you wont get banned for it, but it's an advantage none the less.
That's just silly. What you're implying is that the changes made to the game in order to gain an edge are evolving and if you don't stoop to the same level, you should just stop playing?
believe me, graphic settings are less "unfair" then a sound settings, with win xp only you can hear nade clicks all over the map, my monitor is dark by default so i go to nvidia cc settings and pump up my gamma and DV, even in CSGO LANS its allowed, Im just tired of people that thinks its unfair/cheating and we need to play the same way as they play.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #50 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
I'm mostly trying to make you understand better sound is a huge advantage.

Now fair, unfair, who can judge ...

A player can be pro without perfect sound, and someone with perfect sound can still be noob, it's true. Sound helps you play, so it's an advatange. period.

Now see you all in a week :D

Offline SASF-DarkShooter

• Respected Members
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
It's a weird grey area. Technically, just as cheating/hacking you're using a 3rd party utility to gain adventages over the 'average joe' of America's Army.

Offline Alex

« Reply #52 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 13:05:21 PM »
About XFI - I think it lame to think it gives you an "unfair" advantage. Can you hear sounds better or more crisp yes, and you hear them further on XP for sure, but in the end sound will only take you so far you still have to be a good shot, know when to peak and when to prefire. I play on a macbook pro, and i'm still able to keep up with players i know have sounds cards and good headphones. It comes from time playing the game and knowing how players are going to move or what they are going to based on where you are on a map.
Sure sound isn't everything, we all know that. but it's a hell of a lot easier to be good when you know exactly where the player is, and they don't know where you are. That is an unfair advantage. Unfair, meaning it is not equal for everyone. You have it, they don't.

I don't understand why people don't want to use the word "unfair." That's exactly what it is. Hell, having a better CPU and GPU is technically an unfair advantage. So is better headphones, monitor, mouse, etc. The only difference is that the unfair advantage you get from sound tweaking is much more drastic than what those other advantages provide.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 17, 2014, 13:07:18 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline Ganja

« Reply #53 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 13:17:44 PM »
Unfair means not everybody can have it. But everybody can buy a good soundcard.

I mean I don't have an unfair advantage for having a mouse when I play against someone without mouse. Everybody can decide to get it if they want to spend money for gaming. It's a prsonal choice I guess

Jared

« Reply #54 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 13:21:24 PM »
I don't see how its easier to be good, it takes a lot of time and map knowledge to understand the sounds. Like the metal on the SR stairs, or the wood nosies on courtyard.

Sounds can only take you so far, I get owned all the time and i know where players are, just because I hear you doesn't mean your automatically going to die.

All in all, look back at all of the thread in this forum, there are only a hand full of people that complain about sound card users, and every time it comes up, it smells like a witch hunt  :)

--

The funny thing is I'm standing up for them, and I don't even have one  :idea:

Offline Alex

« Reply #55 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 13:26:10 PM »
I don't see how its easier to be good, it takes a lot of time and map knowledge to understand the sounds. Like the metal on the SR stairs, or the wood nosies on courtyard.

Sounds can only take you so far, I get owned all the time and i know where players are, just because I hear you doesn't mean your automatically going to die.

All in all, look back at all of the thread in this forum, there are only a hand full of people that complain about sound card users, and every time it comes up, it smells like a witch hunt  :)

--

The funny thing is I'm standing up for them, and I don't even have one  :idea:
If you're just going to deny that knowing where the enemy is is a big advantage then I don't see this discussion going anywhere. It's ridiculous to think it's not. No, sound won't make you good, but it makes it easier to be good.

It's not like we can do anything about it though.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 17, 2014, 13:31:15 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Jared

« Reply #56 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 13:46:35 PM »
I'm not denying it, I'm just saying sound is only 1 of many factors.

If you don't know how to really play AA and don't understand the maps, sound isn't going to give you a 2 frag rate.

Offline Goncalo

• View Profile
  • AA: Goncalo
« Reply #57 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 15:04:17 PM »
and when you have sound the whole concept of gaming changes completly, now you have to predict what ur oponent will do by the way hes moving all kind of stuff. playing aa is just not walking around and shot an enemy if u see it.
sometimes the right way is just to run across the map without shoting an enemy close to you, cuz if you do know where u are. I cant explain myself better, just get sound settings and ull see. even for onboard cards it can get alot better than some guys have by default. just change defaultdriver to false, channels to 64 and soundvolume to 2.0 and ull see an huge diference

Offline Ares

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 15:48:40 PM »
None of my post was regarding sound tweaking and soundcards. We cannot control that so it is pointless to debate it. My post was mostly about exploits. You said that you have to adapt, which is true. But what if it didn't have to be that way? What if we got rid of the exploits we could get rid of? How would that lower the quality of the game? It would just increase it. It wouldn't hurt anyone, just increase fairness.

You talk about adapting, but I haven't really seen you say a definite answer to the question, so here it is flat out. Would you support the removal/penalization of exploits if it were possible? Simple question. To me, there is no logical reason to not support such a thing. Again, this isn't talking about sound, just exploits. The only reason I could think of is you want to keep your advantage over players who don't use them, which in my opinion, would just be pathetic.
Yeah I know you didn't moan too much about sound, I directed that towards everyone who does.

My defnitite answer would be, yes I would support it. But it wouldn't be possible. It's like trying, like Sweden and USA are doing, putting rules on the internet, monitoring the average joe. People will always find a way, not because they are "pro players" but because the thrill of exploiting the system, breaking it, ask any average computer genius/hacker and they will say it's the feeling of have beaten the system that actually counts. Not the end result.

Another thing would have to be decided, is what is concidered an exploit. Admins and forum moderators, apart from Bart couldn't tell an exploit, bug nor titanic from a fair player which uses everything default. The people on here making the decisions have far too little understanding and experience of AA gameplay from what has been shown from their comments, actions and visions. I'm sorry, i don't want to bust their balls, it's just hard facts. And to the answer "would you do better yourself?" Yes I would, not the coding, I know a little html but far from what these guys knows. And with keeping the game alive, the assist client, they're doing a swell job. its like having a lousy football player becoming a good coach, not happening without help from experienced players alongside him.

We in the competitive scene generally have a better understanding of these things, simply because we've had pretty much EVERYTHING up for discussion, everything that has been talked about on here, we've already covered, and voted in favour of the opinions im expressing.

Offline unR | AnTi

• Flectere si nequeo superos, acheronta movebo.
    • View Profile
  • AA: -[unR]AnTi
« Reply #59 on: Friday, January 17, 2014, 20:00:27 PM »
 :oops: I feel like an asshole now...
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
- Alexander the Great

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager