Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: [WARNING] Assist Spy on YOU [UPDATE v8.15]  (Read 13811 times)

Offline Endy

[WARNING] Assist Spy on YOU [UPDATE v8.15]
« on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:12:19 PM »
I would like to point out the following to the community.

(iv) takes "screenshots" of the Licensee's computer screen at any given time while Assist is running
                       without notice to the Licensee.

TOS: http://aao25.com/forum/assist-support/current-tos/msg79525/

This means when you have Assist running, they can take screenshots of what you are doing at any time.
I would like to point this out to the community because most people will not read this.

Remember Johnny that used to control AA Assist? He was doing a similar thing to spy on users.

UPDATE: In version 8.15 the feature of taking screenshots has been removed.
TOS (http://aao25.com/forum/assist-support/current-tos/msg0/?boardseen#new) has been updated and i would like to advice the community to thoroughly read it.

*EDIT*
Wuttt, an administrator edited this post, lol. Stop being dictators and post a reply if you have something to say.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 20, 2014, 03:56:54 AM by Endy »

Offline MrEpicGoat

• View Profile
  • AA: epic!
Re: WARNING Assist Spy on YOU
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:15:11 PM »
Exactly.

Eliz just removed my posts about the very same issue.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:16:35 PM »
I would like to point out the following to the community.

(iv) takes "screenshots" of the Licensee's computer screen at any given time while Assist is running
                       without notice to the Licensee.

TOS: http://aao25.com/forum/assist-support/current-tos/msg79525/

This means when you have Assist running, they can take screenshots of what you are doing at any time.
I would like to point this out to the community because most people will not read this.

Remember Johnny that used to control AA Assist? He was doing a similar thing to spy on users.

Nothing new there, you have all agreed to that TOS every time you start a new version of the game.
It's not hidden in any way.

I even posted a copy here .

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:16:46 PM »
Congratulations, you can read the ToU. You know that's why it's there, right? So you can read it. Nobody's trying to hide it.

Offline MrEpicGoat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:18:09 PM »
LOL, those people installing software on peoples machine that allows them to read/write/remove files, even format hard drive.

And they are now telling: "it's all fine".

Offline KARI-30

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:19:29 PM »
Its great that you have TOS. Nice! However you are using an illegal copy of AA to run servers (illegally) and sharing the game online (illegally, and yes it makes no difference if the game is free or not - the copyright is not yours), you are seriously violating users privacy when you are making screenshots of their PCs. Those are serious crimes and those TOS sentences you can shove up your a**. But lets keep it on the low... :D
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:40:36 PM by KARI-30 »

Offline Endy

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:19:47 PM »
Yes but i'm making it more clear for the community to understand what Assist actually is doing and that the spying continues even after the big hassle we had with johnny.

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:22:33 PM »
Yes but i'm making it more clear for the community to understand what Assist actually is doing and that the spying continues even after the big hassle we had with johnny.
I'm pretty sure that line from the ToU is clearly stated and easily understandable. Admit it, you're just trying to stir up drama.

Offline Endy

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:23:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure that line from the ToU is clearly stated and easily understandable. Admit it, you're just trying to stir up drama.

Can you answer me this question Killaman: Is AA Assist using an illegal copy of Americas Army in any way?

Offline MrEpicGoat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:28:24 PM »
Can you answer me this question Killaman: Is AA Assist using an illegal copy of Americas Army in any way?

OFC it is, that is obvious fact. But this is not the biggest problem here, as I believe _real_ creators of this game don't care.

Offline Endy

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:30:33 PM »
OFC it is, that is obvious fact. But this is not the biggest problem here, as I believe _real_ creators of this game don't care.

Well if they are using an illegal copy without having the "go" word of the creators then they are violating a law.

Offline MrEpicGoat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:32:13 PM »
Well if they are using an illegal copy without having the "go" word of the creators then they are violating a law.

Yes, it is true, but as I said, it is only a formal and theoretical issue.
More important is that they spy on users machines - that is far more serious violation of law. And no TOS can help about it. TOSes are not above law.

Offline Endy

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:35:07 PM »
Yes, it is true, but as I said, it is only a formal and theoretical issue.
More important is that they spy on users machines - that is far more serious violation of law. And no TOS can help about it. TOSes are not above law.

Yeah that's what i was thinking about aswell.
I remember johnny stepped back because a few others were taking steps to take him to court because of his spying activities.

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:37:58 PM »
The creators of America's Army know about our project and have not contacted us about it being a problem.

Offline Alex

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:40:19 PM »
Yeah that's what i was thinking about aswell.
I remember johnny stepped back because a few others were taking steps to take him to court because of his spying activities.
Yes, it is true that there was a big incident about what Jonny put in the program. Jonny left and the awful feature has been removed. What happened is regrettable, but we've moved on from that.
If you don't like the fact that Assist can take screenshots, then don't use it. That's why the ToU is there, to let you know.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 19:42:23 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager