ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Poll

What to do with this guy

Keep permanent ban
1626 (83.3%)
Unban, put on watch list
326 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Unban Request  (Read 18528 times)

Offline one.inch.man

• View Profile
Re: Unban Request
« Reply #90 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 18:26:19 PM »
I vote keep the ban.

The reason being: Even though your posts here were civilized, you did not put proof behind your claim that the version you downloaded had been tampered with beforehand. What's so hard about posting that download link here?

To the Assist team: Without having thought this through, would it be a big deal to completely remove the option to play with an existing installation from Assist and start with a fresh install downloaded through Assist? That way we could avoid claims like these.
I'm aware that zero tolerance is zero tolerance but I did find this a tough decision.

Cheers

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #91 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 18:50:35 PM »
To the Assist team: Without having thought this through, would it be a big deal to completely remove the option to play with an existing installation from Assist and start with a fresh install downloaded through Assist? That way we could avoid claims like these.
I'm aware that zero tolerance is zero tolerance but I did find this a tough decision.

Cheers

I think that would be a good move considering most 2.5 veterans that kept 2.5 installed on their computer have already migrated to Assist. I've found that people who download 2.5 outside of Assist often end up with multiple 2.5 installations which just clutters the hard drive and makes it somewhat confusing for the user since the installer creates ArmyOps shortcuts on the desktop. Aren't there multiple SourceForge mirrors so if someone has an issue downloading from one, they could choose another? I remember that being an option a while back.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 22:55:39 PM »
I made this software and I think that is not possible.
2 Question should clear this up in my mind.

Jonnym
1. If he had these files in his original install would Assits copy them across?
2. Did Assist detect the files being there or that they were being used?

If yes to 1 then this is a problem.
If they just dected the files and yes to number 1 then I think a 2nd chance.
It used to be the only way to dected the hacks is if the dll ect was injected using an injecter piece of software and this does not happen by accident.

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 23:04:32 PM »
When is the final day for the vote to close and decision is made?

You have also not provided the originals link of where you downloaded the software which makes me think your lying in any case.  Retrace your steps if you are unsure.
The pirate bay links I beleive were put on by members so they dont contain hacks and if you provide the exact link I will use my bandwidth and even go as far to download it again and prove it.

Admit you did this or provide the links simple.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #94 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 23:15:28 PM »
He had the files, there is no evidence of him using them. I did test the same hack out and although I did get past the whitelist violation, I did get kicked for no recoil.

Offline ToMb SeNTiNeL

• Guarding the unknowns....21 seconds at a time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 23:26:34 PM »
I tried to re-trace the steps, could not find same download, but as for #2the if I had intentionally downloaded the hacks, wouldn't I have been caught actually using them rather than just having them in a folder? I just wish people could understand how mindblown I am that this happened, because I have not hacked a day in my life, but got banned for having hacks in the one game I truly love to play ever since before I joined the Army back in 2009.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 23:52:56 PM »
Assist is not AA. However, in order to run AA, Assist must be running. Therefore Assist has the ability to catch anything. Even if they (hacks) are in the folder and not being used, Assist will catch it. AA doesn't do anything, Assist is the thing that does all the work.

All you need is 1 alien file in the AA folder, and Assist will catch it, and we will be alerted. That simple.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 01:57:39 AM »
I'm tempted to unban right now. Here's why:

- Most hackers that get caught by our system won't bother to appeal because they know they're guilty so they'll move to 2.8.5 and never set foot on this forum.
- This guy came here with a consistent story that has stood up to all of our questions.
- This guy has no other accounts or computers and has not shown suspicious behavior. He does have 2 IP's but one is Verizon Wireless and the other is Comcast, likely mobile phone and home internet.
- This guy has been patient over 4 days since posting here, asking nicely and never flaming.
- Assist copies the whole pre-installed 2.5 folder, it is possible that his story of downloading a 2.5 torrent is legit. The day this guy started playing, he was banned, it's not like he was playing for a month and then all of the sudden got banned.
- He only had possession of the hacks which is detected even if you use it properly. There's no log saying that he got kicked for using the hacks, he just had them in the System folder.

Unless Jonny or the other admins say no, I think this guy should be unbanned and put on the watch list.

Offline Choogelaar

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 04:45:40 AM »
there goes the zero tollerance then !!!!!   
question how much time does it take to inject something in the original installer ??
is it possible ?? downloading a clean installer ,then inject something in it,then uploading ( is there a link that proves what he is saying ??
i say the moment he got banned / caught with that file before that moment there should be a link that should be looked over by an administrator to see if it is correct what he says ,if it is really a corrupt download  then i would not have a problem with it but untill then everyone can keep his coolness for a while to reach what he wants cause they know what they got caught for is permanent .

only my opinion     if he is truly a clean player np welcome and help us shoot as many op4 as we can

Offline soupcakes

• no soup for 4 U!
    • View Profile
  • AA: soul
« Reply #99 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 05:15:06 AM »
I'm tempted to unban right now. Here's why:

- Most hackers that get caught by our system won't bother to appeal because they know they're guilty so they'll move to 2.8.5 and never set foot on this forum.
- This guy came here with a consistent story that has stood up to all of our questions.
- This guy has no other accounts or computers and has not shown suspicious behavior. He does have 2 IP's but one is Verizon Wireless and the other is Comcast, likely mobile phone and home internet.
- This guy has been patient over 4 days since posting here, asking nicely and never flaming.
- Assist copies the whole pre-installed 2.5 folder, it is possible that his story of downloading a 2.5 torrent is legit. The day this guy started playing, he was banned, it's not like he was playing for a month and then all of the sudden got banned.
- He only had possession of the hacks which is detected even if you use it properly. There's no log saying that he got kicked for using the hacks, he just had them in the System folder.

Unless Jonny or the other admins say no, I think this guy should be unbanned and put on the watch list.

i agree with that.... His Aliby holds up enough to cause reasonable doubt... especially if he's banned the first time he played...

i know some may say '0 tolerance'... but i cant honestly say he's guilty beyond reasonable doubt, and it would really suck if you were in his shoes and the small chance of that happening, happens to you.

I don't believe this for many people who post here, but imo, give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
You gotta have a nuclear soul
To melt down all your sorrowful load
And you gotta have a mercury soul
To weigh down any glimmer of gold

Offline Choogelaar

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 06:55:03 AM »
i agree on that m8 that is true but let him provide the original download link so people can look into the download itself  than all the doubths are gone instandly !!  offcourse it sucks when you downloaded the installer that has been injected by a hack    bring proof  so johnny or spanky or Blueblaster or Killum can look at it

i would be irritated aswell by the fact that i get banned for downloading a installer of a game we like  but that is why they always say KEEP TO THE ORIGINAL WEBSITE

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 07:58:39 AM »
I'm with Choogelaar in this. If his AA was downloaded from Piratebay as he says, then there's no problem to show it and check the files. I doubt there is such torrent, but never know.
- Getting old, cold and slow -

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »
I'm with Choogelaar in this. If his AA was downloaded from Piratebay as he says, then there's no problem to show it and check the files. I doubt there is such torrent, but never know.

Just checked, a 2.5 version torrent doesn't even seems to be available on the bay. I could barely found a couple torrents for the 2.5 version on a different search engine. Did it disappear in such a small timelapse?
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 08:45:41 AM by Koden »

Offline ToMb SeNTiNeL

• Guarding the unknowns....21 seconds at a time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »
http://thepiratebay.se/search/Americas%20Army%202.5.0/0/99/0

The specific one I'm looking for is not there though.

Offline Choogelaar

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
i checked on the torrent site's aswell as newsgroup feeds but i cannot find anything saying that there was an upload for 25Assist on there and i have good retention for it i can go back for 999 days !!!!   

very weird to be honest cause the link you give is not even working

dont need to click on it cause this one probebly aint working either :)
https://www.somethingstrangegoingon.com         

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager