Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: The everlasting "what's my ping?"  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Ares

• View Profile
The everlasting "what's my ping?"
« on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 02:25:05 AM »
This one illudes me still, always has. People asking for their ping. Correct me if i'm wrong. Which i'm not, ofcourse..But your ping on the servers are the value which you see when pressing F1/F11, what others see, that ain't your ping. Having a ping of 5-10 is unheard of in FPS games unless you sit next to the server. So people, please. The value you see next to your own name is the same value you get when pinging the server ip in cmd, hence your correct ping. Got into a discussion yesturday in a pub server (big suprise) so i figured i might aswell start a thread. Say thank you.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: The everlasting "what's my ping?"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 03:44:33 AM »
You are correct. If anything in game is the correct ping, that would be the one you see yourself.

However, in order to compare yours to other's pings it is often easier to divide your own by 4 instead of multiplying everyone else's by 4.

Furthermore, there are instances when your ping is NOT correct. This usually happens when your connection is really bad or you're playing from all the way across the world. That is, if you real ping is over 250 (others see it as 62+ I guess).
What happens then is you see your own ping go from 1 to 250 and back.

So all in all, you are right, that is the correct ping, but for comparison using the one others see is easier and there may be instances when your own ping is not correct.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline CS-ACI-

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 04:16:18 AM »
Hello,

I don't worry about my ping or others.

Lag is the thing that bothers me.

Steve

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 07:55:31 AM »
However, in order to compare yours to other's pings it is often easier to divide your own by 4 instead of multiplying everyone else's by 4.

Furthermore, there are instances when your ping is NOT correct. This usually happens when your connection is really bad or you're playing from all the way across the world. That is, if you real ping is over 250 (others see it as 62+ I guess).
What happens then is you see your own ping go from 1 to 250 and back.

Wrong teddy, that was discussed several times on official forums.
Let's imagine, your my neighbor, same ISP and all, i see myself on server with 80 ping and see you with 20 ping. Believe me, your real ping isn't 20, so, i need to multiple the ping i see you by 4 to get your correct ping: 80

When you're having connection issues you see your ping going crazy till 250, come lower and start going up again while others just see you with 250.
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 08:28:13 AM »

Wrong teddy, that was discussed several times on official forums.
Let's imagine, your my neighbor, same ISP and all, i see myself on server with 80 ping and see you with 20 ping. Believe me, your real ping isn't 20, so, i need to multiple the ping i see you by 4 to get your correct ping: 80

When you're having connection issues you see your ping going crazy till 250, come lower and start going up again while others just see you with 250.
You're missing my point.

The ping you see for yourself IS the real ping.

What I said is that it's  EASIER to COMPARE when they're on the same scale. And to scale everyone's elses pings is harder than to just scale your own.

And no, when my ping goes above 250, others can still see the ping. Trust me, it's happened to me several times. I see the ping going haywire while others see it as 116 for example.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Ganja

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 11:29:26 AM »
And no, when my ping goes above 250, others can still see the ping. Trust me, it's happened to me several times. I see the ping going haywire while others see it as 116 for example.

this.

Sometimes my ping shows 10, while I'm lagging like a b!tch, other see something as 100. Asking for ping is my way of socializing :D

Offline raw

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 13:00:32 PM »
i always hated that question. i know why some ppl keep asking that question. you guys know why?
Okay i tell you..

99% of those just wants others to pay attention to their ping because their pings are high at that time. So basically others would think that okay its hard for him to play now here and feel a bit sorry for them...

:)
AA2  2005-2015
AA:PG 2015-

Offline 82nd_DXO_COL=Shad

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 13:04:37 PM »
I used to just tell people to check it themselves using statfps because it does get annoying sometimes checking it for other people.  However, I've noticed that statfps and the scoreboard sometimes shows different results.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 16:18:30 PM »
Shad, you probably mean 'stat net'. Stat fps gives you your frames per second.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager