Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Player Slots  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Player Slots
« on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 15:44:32 PM »
Looking at my server options, I see 28 and 30 player slots available. Does this mean we can make maps with more slots now that we control the Authorization? If so, that is AWESOME.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Player Slots
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 15:56:03 PM »
I also noticed that option. Guess we gotta try it out. Are there any 'official' maps that have 30 playerstarts set? It'd be a pain to open them up each and count lol.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 15:57:51 PM »
I don't know about official maps, I just thought they were always 26. I wonder what the GUI would do with more. I guess the rest of the players would be automatically assigned to a random slot.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 17:35:12 PM »
Back in time i remember of a couple 28/30 slot servers. The thing is you need a lot of bandwidth to fully cover 30 players on any map (it's also quite of a bit of server load)

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 02:27:45 AM »
Well, I thought I would try this on Pipeline so I poked around in the editor and you can have a maximum of 4 fire teams defined. Although, amount of slots per fire team doesn't appear to be limited. Here's a screenshot of 17 slots available per team for a total of 34 slots per server:

More will fit, it just adds a scroll bar.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 02:52:22 AM »
Cool

BTW, if you hover over the class images, there is like a master sergeant and some other class above the squad leader position. Anyway you know how to add those guys as a selectable class? If there's an image and text for them, you should be able to choose them. It'd be kind of a fun thing.

Jonnym

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 03:03:07 AM »
The server would need to have a very fast CPU core to handle this, A multi-core CPU is useless. This is probably the real limitation to player slots.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 03:22:16 AM »
I wish we had enough people to say "hey, stop in on server x and xx:xx GMT so we can test load". I guess we can try increasing slowly and see when users complain?

Offline Leopardi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 06:36:56 AM »
No need to fiddle with it... the maximum slots are there for a reason and the maps are professionally fine-tuned for them. And it's a rare sight to see even 20 players on a server.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 06:58:54 AM »
i will test it.

there were last night 26 players on my server - and the cpu was almost idle (10%).
and - sorry jonny :-) - its win7 64b with a intel i7 quadcore with 2. GHz each (virtual 8 cores), 8 GB ram and SS-Device and internet bandwith 2/20mb.

so this could not be the problem. i guess it will work :)

until tomorrow then.
Merl.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 07:01:23 AM by [SWISS]Merlin »

Jonnym

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 07:43:25 AM »
Your server will hit a ceiliing at %12.5
So at %10 its almost maxed out.

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 08:15:10 AM »
No need to fiddle with it... the maximum slots are there for a reason and the maps are professionally fine-tuned for them. And it's a rare sight to see even 20 players on a server.

I could run quite comfortably 26 slots on our server while other server that ran 20 or 22 started have big problems.

It depends on a few things, hardware, connection location, and bw of the connection.  We were in the data centre in Australia that linked directly into the pipes that serviced USA, Europe, Japan and New Zealand.  Japan in particular was a hugh pipe.  We had a 40Mbps connection minimum QoS and running quad core xeon's with hugh ram.  15 servers was not a challenge on this combination.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »
I could run quite comfortably 26 slots on our server while other server that ran 20 or 22 started have big problems.

It depends on a few things, hardware, connection location, and bw of the connection.  We were in the data centre in Australia that linked directly into the pipes that serviced USA, Europe, Japan and New Zealand.  Japan in particular was a hugh pipe.  We had a 40Mbps connection minimum QoS and running quad core xeon's with hugh ram.  15 servers was not a challenge on this combination.

You made me drooling all over my keyboard Sir.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 13:46:39 PM »

Maps aren't tuned for player slots unless you're talking about one map being better for 8-10 players than 26? Even then, I don't think the devs had player slots on the mind when they built maps. The maximum slots are there for a reason because of hardware and engine limitations 6+ years ago. CPU's are faster now. We can't work past engine limitations but the AA developers themselves coded the 4 fireteams, they must have wanted to use them at some point. We can make the maps have 100 playerstarts but if it becomes a problem, the server hoster can set the maximum limit. For now, the obvious bottleneck for pushing past 26 slots are the maps not having any more slots.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 17:09:27 PM »
O btw just to chime in some fun facts, some developers who licensed the unreal engine have made mmorpg's with thousands of players on a single server. The engine is very much capable, it's just that since unreal engine is primarily an fps engine, it's not going to run with many many players on a server out of the box.
End of fun fact.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager