Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: New Beast Server  (Read 6143 times)

Jonnym

New Beast Server
« on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 17:52:21 PM »
(Well second hand really) Sun Fire V40z Server

Got one of these beasts in a shak in my back yard running 4 AA Servers....

4 x 2.4Ghz AMD Opteron CPUs
16Gb RAM
3 x 73Gb 320-Ultra SCSI Drives

Had to put it outside, It has 12 fans inside all running at 15k Rpm and is Deafening loud... No way i could have it in the house! keeps it nice and warm in there tho, Only downside is costing about $20 a month in electricity.

« Last Edit: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 17:54:50 PM by Jonnym »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: New Beast Server
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 18:07:02 PM »
Are those single-core processors? Even if those Opterons are dual core, you could get yourself a desktop with a cheap 6-core CPU that would rival that and definitely use way less power and be way less quieter.

Now, if those are quad core Opterons... holy gigahertz batman.

Mind telling how much you paid?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Jonnym

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 18:14:22 PM »
Single Core, Paid 80 GBP for it.
I'm not sure but think servers are configured somewhat differently to desktop machines for handling server type work. Otherwise why would companys spend many thousands on servers when the could use cheap desktops, There must be some diffences.
OS is UNIX - Solaris 10, I bitch to work with but got multiple windows servers running in virtualization.

Also 4 cpu is different from a 4 core CPU, You have 4 separate busses rather than 4 cores sharing one data bus... Maybe.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 18:16:27 PM by Jonnym »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 18:59:35 PM »
That's pretty cheap, certainly couldn't buy a equilivant desktop for that much. Servers do have differences but they all depend on usage. For AA servers, it doesn't really matter but for critical operations like website uptime or company databases, there are key differences that make real servers valuable like all hotswap parts (including PSU), error correcting memory and a few other things I'm probably not aware of. I would also venture to guess that 4 physical CPU's is better for high I/O's since the IMC is in the CPU itself and you probably have 4GB of memory per CPU.

If you were to get a 6-core AMD and overclock the northbridge a bit, it would probably give your server a run for performance, noise and power usage. But I don't think you could even buy a 6-core AMD for 80GBP, let alone the rest of a desktop system.

Awesome deal :)

*EDIT*
Looking online, that server had a MSRP of $20,995 when it came out 6 or so years ago.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 19:01:33 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Jonnym

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 19:09:34 PM »
BARGAIN!

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 03:34:00 AM »
Woah. 80 pounds only for that?  ;D really sweet, i already saw the servers up and running, very very nice indeed.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
My boss is a comllete bitch and we only run HP servers we got a ton of them like 10 of each...

We got:
*  Proliant ML 350 G6

http://www.pcware.hu/images/P/product/hp/ML350G6i1.jpg]http://www.pcware.hu/images/P/product/hp/ML350G6i1.jpg

*  Proliant ML 150 G6

http://www.servermonkey.com/product_images/t/438/2__57639_zoom.jpg]http://www.servermonkey.com/product_images/t/438/2__57639_zoom.jpg

*  Proliant ML 110 G6

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjVKQTfXGXSs2dI-i01CDxue8T3pwbZIfeP-X6B_ONkdna46CXpg]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjVKQTfXGXSs2dI-i01CDxue8T3pwbZIfeP-X6B_ONkdna46CXpg

Every single server does a role, 150´s are Domain controler, DHCP server, and Data base server, and everything that should be needed to the fully operativity of an office, we also run WDS service in this server (Windows Deplyment Service.) 350´s are File servers, and 110´s are Backup, they store virtual copies of every computer in the offices servers and Database.

« Last Edit: Monday, December 26, 2011, 07:57:53 AM by [Nifty]-mister »
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Whoopass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 02, 2012, 19:04:45 PM »
To add a little on why the products cost that much - server graded hardware are built for stability but are meant to be used in redundant environments to provide availability as well. The reason why it's so loud is because server systems are uncapped (unlike most desktop systems) when it comes to CPU power & Fan usage / productivity. When you overclock a device, you're uncapping the locks of the stability of the hardware - and likewise you then have to provide cooler options for your systems to run (thus your fan gets louder - or liquid cool a system). In this case, corporate grade equipment (for branch, data centres and tier providers) they are already uncapped since noise isn't a problem. Try walking into a server farm of dozens of rows like that with equipment stacked 6 feet high that all make that noise lol.

Power consumption is a problem, but most companies get their dedicated power from the grid and then also have backup diesel generators. (My current work location has 3 tractor trailer sized generators to run in case of emergency). We're currently a tier 3-4 level data centre. (They be working on some issues to make us a level 4).

In terms of the server power, those are 4 CPUs that for the most part probably have multiple cores in them. The standard is usually 16 or 32 cores. (4 chips at 8 virtual cores each [more common] or 4 chips at 4 virtual cores). These servers are designed like this to be virtual server farms. Allowing you to allocate real core and Ram resources to run virtual systems (for FW, DHCP, DBs and other's as [Nifty]-mister mentioned).

Sun systems suck, pain in the ass to work with but you should be able to wipe the system and put what you want on it. The HP Proliant series G5's and 6's (newer models) are sick (reasonable systems). You might be able to find some old used G4's and 5s maybe for server purposes at reasonable prices. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl360/

:)

Jonnym

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 03, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »
Wiped it and put CentOS 5 on it. Did not like solaris.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager