Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: New Authorization Server  (Read 11756 times)

Jonnym

New Authorization Server
« on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 02:37:01 AM »
The problem with the auth system I have planned it that it requires the server to be run with assist server manager and the player must also use assist to join the server.
Connections to server not running on assist will still be unauthorised and you will not be able to join assist servers without using assist.
Is it worth do this, do you all think this would be OK?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: New Authorization Server
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 03:07:41 AM »
Jonny, I split this topic as it deserves it's own thread. I think it's fine. There's no real reason for people to NOT use your awesome software. Assist will become more widespread via word of mouth.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Jonnym

« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 03:13:08 AM »
Someone will need to compile a command line version of assist server manager for the linux people, saves them having to start a X session desktop.

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 09:03:02 AM »
I personally thinks running it through assist would be the best way.

Offline c644ever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »
Definitely the best way,
but I doubt you have to recompile, some wgets, mkdirs and mvs in a shellscript can do the job for a dedserver install

With some informations what Assist "does" to armyops I could try to write one.

Jared

« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »
I think this a great idea, because it allows us to have control over the users from what I take from your post.

1) Users can't join unless they are using assist.
2) Servers have to use assist.

If that the case they we should do it because, easy to control users, create ban list, etc. Also if all server are required to run using assist could we control map rotation, for easy integration with maap?

Offline [K][K].Zipferurtyp

« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 14:17:01 PM »
Come to the dark side of power

for me it sounds a little bit of losing freedome. like let us let the other people do what we want.
assist is a really great tool i love it but i would not controle too much other servers....maybe this will scare other people

maybe i understand now something wrong but for me it sounds that user dont have a change no more to play on servers without using assist???
because when it is like this...what people do with leased servers?????
« Last Edit: Friday, December 30, 2011, 14:20:22 PM by [K][K].Zipferurtyp »

Offline c644ever

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 14:23:31 PM »
Interesting point,
but since the army closed the honor/stat system the commonity has to build it's own servertracking and stat system - 25assist is IMHO the best and user freindliest thing around to keep aao2 alive.

« Reply #8 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 14:29:35 PM »
my experince with assist server is ...that he run to instabil, server had chrashed to much,than can i make my own banlist like with normal server too?
i have a home server now...he runs really fine ,no chrashes, easy maintenance , i can put mods (if i would wanted),and and and....

maybe i dont know not enough about assist servers, maybe they can do the same things....i must look i think again

but what i had seen server had run not good at all (1 year before) but maybe this problem is finish.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 14:52:05 PM »
I would say look again because I doubt Assist is any less stable than the AA server itself.

To touch on what Jared said and what I mentioned in the other thread;
Controlling our own Authorization would mean we could merge "Normal" and "mAAp" modes. No more moving files or missing training or any of that crap. Hell, we can make it so users don't have to have training at all.

It would also mean a more open community. We could trim the editor and release it to make or own Mission Depot where people could try and make maps and if some good ones were made, add them to Assist. << This was Crunks idea but not really feasible until now.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 30, 2011, 14:56:21 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

« Reply #10 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 14:58:24 PM »
It would also mean a more open community. We could trim the editor and release it to make or own Mission Depot where people could try and make maps and if some good ones were made, add them to Assist. << This was Crunks idea but not really feasible until now.

this sounds really good.

Jonnym

« Reply #11 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 15:15:56 PM »
We cannot make an auth system for a standard AA server, We don't have the source code for it, we can only make it work with an Assist server, Our auth server will need to communicate with your AA server and to so this we need assist to be running it.

The problems with servers crashing on windows have been resolved now.

Jonnym

« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 15:18:18 PM »
you can manually add mods by putting them into the file: ~25Assist/server/aa25srv.ini   and the banlist can be  found at ~25Assist/armyops/system/banlist.txt

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 16:21:20 PM »
Controlling training? Then I can finally play SF maps lololol

Offline Alex

« Reply #14 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 16:23:50 PM »
If you made a new authorization server would that mean everyone would have to start at 10 honor again with new accounts?

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager