Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Poll

Merge "Normal" and "mAAp" modes in Assist?

Yes
1624 (83.7%)
No
316 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Merging Normal & mAAp Modes  (Read 12853 times)

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
Re: Merging Normal & mAAp Modes
« Reply #30 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 17:02:55 PM »
Medusa's and sound "tweeks" are fail. See the first reply in my post. There's a fine line by playing "by sound". It's part of the game, it's part of life. In the Army, in a kill or be killed situation, you need to use things to your advantage. Sound is a big aspect of that and there's no reason to ignore it. I'll admit that UE2 has flaws with sound as far as going through walls and things like that. This kind of merges into my point on adjusting brightness for an advantage. It's really the same thing. Tweaking drivers or adjusting in-game settings for an advantage is lame and it ultimately ruins the experience. Get everybody a properly calibrated monitor and something other than onboard audio, use default settings, and you'll have fair gameplay. It's too bad there's people that don't think that way, that try to cheat the system for an advantage.

I, like many I know only adapted this way of playing when it became the only way to play comp, playing against most clans in any league/ladder you were at a huge disadvantage if you didnt tweek up your sound.  It may be 'fail' but back then it was levelling the playing field against people who could you hear you at the other side of the map and you couldnt hear them for shit to a point were it became frustrating.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #31 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 17:18:02 PM »
I, like many I know only adapted this way of playing when it became the only way to play comp, playing against most clans in any league/ladder you were at a huge disadvantage if you didnt tweek up your sound.  It may be 'fail' but back then it was levelling the playing field against people who could you hear you at the other side of the map and you couldnt hear them for shit to a point were it became frustrating.

Fight fire with fire, I do understand :) I do hope though that these "tactics" are mostly gone in AA. These kinds of things belong in COD. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I prefer to view/listen to digital media the way it was created because most game designers and sound editors don't use consumer-grade equipment. I've seen a lot of dev studios have IPS Dell monitors which don't need much calibration and they protray colors the way they should be. Same for sound editors having studio monitor speakers/headphones that are neutral and not bloated/colored in any way. </rant>
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 17:43:17 PM »
I think most of the people who play now probably dont have the old tweeks, i know i dont, wouldnt make much difference i play on a laptop these days.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 17:49:42 PM »
Not really. The engine has it's limits and we can't go past that without problems. mAAp Pipeline is more demanding than Bridge but it still will only use a single-core CPU and a middle-range or even low-range GPU. Possibly 2GB of RAM if you close all other programs as well.

About game performance, i don't know if it has ever been done a performance comparison between AA2.5 and 2.8.5 but i'm quite sure that 2.5 uses less memory to run. Also, i happened to encounter memory leak issues under 2.8.5 while i hadn't any with 2.5. Another good comparison might be done with the graphics (sharper in the old version). I think that for many reasons 2.5 works better than more recent versions.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 18:50:32 PM »
Another good comparison might be done with the graphics (sharper in the old version). I think that for many reasons 2.5 works better than more recent versions.

I remember when 2.7 came out. There were a lot of texture resolution problems. One of the biggest ones was mid on bridge. With graphics settings on normal I remember there was a distinct blur on the bottom half of the mid, while the top brick portion looked normal.  I also always got a zoom-stuck bug. 2.7 was sooooo bad I think that's why I stopped playing back then and focused on content creation.

Jonnym

« Reply #35 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 17:20:53 PM »
Will merge maap mode for the next maap release.
Dont know how i will do it yet.
Hopefully it will not be soon, Take all the time in the world!

Also i noticed some maaps are being tracked now, thanks homey!

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 17:42:19 PM »
Will merge maap mode for the next maap release.
Dont know how i will do it yet.
Hopefully it will not be soon, Take all the time in the world!

Also i noticed some maaps are being tracked now, thanks homey!

I think at first, all you would have to do is allow the mAAp files in the regular PB whitelist. We've got some .u files now that I know how to compile. From there we can think about patches. Like 2.5.01 or something. Modify individual files rather than a whole mAAp Pack or re-install of AA. Maybe have an inventory of AA files and check their versions?

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 02:28:30 AM »
You forget this game was released in around 2005 from memory.  The capabilities of computers back then can't even be compared to today's machines as far as performance.  Most people were even playing on dial-up.

There is no real need to reduce file size, modify maps or the like for this reason.  The only thing I would like to see is better packet flow control so I can play oversea's servers.

This is my computer before running AA2.5
CPU 2%
RAM 20%

After:
CPU 4%
RAM 28%

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 02:38:48 AM »
You forget this game was released in around 2005 from memory.  The capabilities of computers back then can't even be compared to today's machines as far as performance.  Most people were even playing on dial-up.

There is no real need to reduce file size, modify maps or the like for this reason.  The only thing I would like to see is better packet flow control so I can play oversea's servers.

This is my computer before running AA2.5
CPU 2%
RAM 20%

After:
CPU 4%
RAM 28%

It's not about new computers being more capable (more on that later) it's about reducing filesize for new users or people that need to reinstall their AA. There's just a lot of useless stuff, especially since we don't use the GUI anymore.

To touch on computers being faster now, that's true to an extent. AA only works on 1 CPU core so playing on a single-core or 6-core CPU, as long as they're clocked the same speed, you'll notice no difference in FPS. In this sense, it's imperative that we be mindful of FPS in maps and try to reduce/optimize. This game itself is severely bottlenecked by the CPU.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #39 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
oh men!!
please leave it like it is - thats why the most players do not switch to another game like aa3 or bf3.
i tried out all of them and i would say nice, BUT
- i play aa2 because i love it like it is - easy, and not to much pump in so the player is in front and not the technic
- i like to play without to much sound - run and fight. and not to camp and to listen where could come now...
- there are so many maps already on the regular aa2, i never played them all - and i am in since the first step of aa2
but thank you anyway for all the good ideas and solutions with aa25assist and honor and auth.
you see, we could recruit some of the "old" players again - i mean brought them back to aa2.
dont oversize it - therefore we could play aa3, no ?
cya in fight
Merl.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 16:47:09 PM »
you dont want all the junk/unused data cropped out to make AA2.5's overall filesize(s) reduced? so when u need to repair aa ur downloading less data (for aussies who have an internet cap thats a +)
you dont want the maps optimised for FPS? so the map looks the same (or even better in some cases) and no less (but more in most cases) FPS while playing?
AA3 sounds are better of a higher quality then aa 2.5 but I can see how some people would be against such a large change in there game even if it would be in the long run a nice update.

I would like to see the basics of the games engine changed to use more cores and pass its graphics load off to my gpus. but thats just a pipe dream

I would love that, the game engine changes would really bring more freedom and resources to spend on visual features and other things.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #41 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 17:29:54 PM »
I would love that, the game engine changes would really bring more freedom and resources to spend on visual features and other things.

You guys find a mod for UT2004 that does that and I'll work my ass off trying to compile it for AA.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 17:49:42 PM »
And no ones gonna find one because you need the c++ source

Dream crushed :) :) :)

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 18:00:59 PM »
you dont want all the junk/unused data cropped out to make AA2.5's overall filesize(s) reduced? so when u need to repair aa ur downloading less data (for aussies who have an internet cap thats a +)
you dont want the maps optimised for FPS? so the map looks the same (or even better in some cases) and no less (but more in most cases) FPS while playing?
AA3 sounds are better of a higher quality then aa 2.5 but I can see how some people would be against such a large change in there game even if it would be in the long run a nice update.

I would like to see the basics of the games engine changed to use more cores and pass its graphics load off to my gpus. but thats just a pipe dream

As I said before the Game in old, computers and internet are faster it was designed for the average computer back in 2005..

It takes me less than 5 minutes to download the entire game
FPS can be maxed out even with on board graphics cards.  My 275GTX is running at idle.
As far as processor goes I could run at least 50 simultaneous copies on the one computer.
As far as ram goes I could run over 40 simultaneous copies.
We used to play this version on dial up 56-64k.  Now we use Adsl 2 or faster 12000-20000K.

All the bugs that are left make the game the game we all love, change it and we are going to kill it even more like with AA3.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 20, 2012, 18:06:56 PM by Go_Cat75 »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #44 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 18:21:28 PM »
As I said before the Game in old, computers and internet are faster it was designed for the average computer back in 2005..

It takes me less than 5 minutes to download the entire game -Not everybody has this speed of internet and not everybody has uncapped internet
FPS can be maxed out even with on board graphics cards.  My 275GTX is running at idle. -I typically play with my GTX 275 underclocked because the CPU bottlenecks the game
As far as processor goes I could run at least 50 simultaneous copies on the one computer. -That doesn't do AA any good in terms of FPS
As far as ram goes I could run over 40 simultaneous copies. -So you, and a lot of other people, can afford to have better lighting in maps
We used to play this version on dial up 56-64k.  Now we use Adsl 2 or faster 12000-20000K.

All the bugs that are left make the game the game we all love, change it and we are going to kill it even more like with AA3.

My replies are in red above. You guys are just so narrow minded. "It won't benefit me so it's stupid". It comes to a point where I start thinking "why even help if people are just going to bitch and moan without thinking. Why bother to improve FPS, make the maps look better, add nice features WITHOUT changing the gameplay when people like yourself are closed-minded". *shrug* I guess that's why the majority of people on AA are still on Bridge and regular Pipeline.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager