Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Poll

Merge "Normal" and "mAAp" modes in Assist?

Yes
1624 (83.7%)
No
316 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Merging Normal & mAAp Modes  (Read 13024 times)

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
Re: Merging Normal & mAAp Modes
« Reply #15 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »
I haven't played in any customized maps because I like the way they have always been / are and I don't support the idea of changing good old sounds. If merging means disabling the good old world that have always been and "updating" sounds, then it's no from me. I love this game as it is and that's why I don't play AA3.

What it comes to sound camping, it's just one part of camping. There have always been lame campers that camp with or without sound, whatever happens. That doesn't mean you have to go with them.
- Getting old, cold and slow -

Offline Alex

« Reply #16 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
so the person that put money into his machine or bought good headphones should be the one to get penalized? If you want to compete on that level then you should do the same, and not bitch about it.

If you don't want to use sound then don't complain about losing 9 times out of 10
lmao. That's not my point, at all. The sounds are simply unrealistic. It's not penalizing people who buy great stuff, it's needing to make the footsteps way more realistic. Who can hear someone walk across an area as big as Urban Assault in real life? nobody, but you can in AA. It's not about the expensive equipment. But while we're on that topic, if you have to buy stuff to become better, then isn't that paying to have an advantage? How is that in any way fair? Just wanted to throw that out there. Paying to have an advantage over players is lame and if it is allowed in any game, it is a design flaw. The design flaw in AA is the sounds. Sorry if I am offending you by criticizing the way you play.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:50:57 AM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
Have to agree with Killer here, back in the day my Medusa's and sound tweeks only ever came out when playing comp, wouldn't have dreamed playing 'by sound' in pubs would have just made it hideously boring

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »
Is it not possible to override class so that if PlayerX's Position  is > Distance to Player i  footsound not loaded. ??

If you can override that class externally in uscript (I'm not sure if you can....), then yes. We can't go in and modify the actual u file that has the code because we need to recompile the u file which includes uscript, textures, meshes, and stuff lol. However, I'm working on extracting the sources and recompiling the u files. The u file works I believe, but it sorta bugs out the editor.

I can dump some uscript code for you guys to look at if you want, but I don't have access to any .h files unfortunately.

I see people having an argument about updating the sounds. Fuck you all. The wooshing hollywood bullets need to be replaced with realistic cracks. This is America's Army after all.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
lmao. That's not my point, at all. The sounds are simply unrealistic. It's not penalizing people who buy great stuff, it's needing to make the footsteps way more realistic. Who can hear someone walk across an area as big as Urban Assault in real life? nobody, but you can in AA. It's not about the expensive equipment. But while we're on that topic, if you have to buy stuff to become better, then isn't that paying to have an advantage? How is that in any way fair? Just wanted to throw that out there. Paying to have an advantage over players is lame and if it is allowed in any game, it is a design flaw. The design flaw in AA is the sounds. Sorry if I am offending you by criticizing the way you play.
get good and we wont have this problem.  :o

Jared

« Reply #20 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »

Offline Alex

« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
So by get good you mean spend hundreds on audio equipment for my PC? :P  Thanks for letting me know my point was good though. :P

Jared

« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:13:54 PM »
So by get good you mean spend hundreds on audio equipment for my PC? :P  Thanks for letting me know my point was good though. :P

actually it really wasn't. I just didn't want to continue this because "your always going to be right". No one that i know of can hear all the way across urban theres so much ambient noise.

Offline Alex

« Reply #23 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
actually it really wasn't. I just didn't want to continue this because "your always going to be right". No one that i know of can hear all the way across urban theres so much ambient noise.
Nowhere did I say all the way across Urban Assault, but you can hear things at some impossible distances, you can't deny that. Not to mention the extremely loud sounds you make when your foot hits the ground. I can walk on a metal surface without making a loud ding sound in real life, I sound be able to do that in AA. This isn't a thing where "I am always going to be right" these are pretty much common sense issues and if you are denying that these issues exist, you're just being ignorant because they help you.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
Who can hear someone walk across an area as big as Urban Assault in real life? nobody, but you can in AA.

Offline Alex

« Reply #25 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »

That was probably worded poorly, but I didn't mean on opposite ends on the map. If I did I would have said that. But even hearing footsteps from alpha to Bravo is not realistic, unless you have some super hearing aids in, but the gunfire would ruin your eardrums so that's out of the question. :P

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »
unless you have some super hearing aids in, but the gunfire would ruin your eardrums so that's out of the question. :P

Run the audio output thru a compressor. Increase gain 16db. Now you hear everything at the same volume level over a great distance.

Of course I don't think anyone has ever done that :)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #27 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 13:13:23 PM »
I think it would be neat to merge maap and normal aa. As i was telling nate, once maap pipeline was finished I think it should be the new pipeline for 2.5. I think by doing this we can show that we are wanting to make progress for 2.5 it could be done like 2.5.2; Have the community vote for new maps, and we could fix bugs in the already made maps, to make 2.5 even better.

I would advise not to edits sounds, AA has a foundation that has been here for years and thats why we all like to play this game, if you start changing things people wont like it and most likely leave or not play.

Its 2012 and a sound card is like only $100.00 so go get one.
I don't think overwriting maps is a good idea. I mean, for mAAp Pipeline, it's a whole new map pretty much. Now, we could take classic maps like Weapons Cache and just clean them up with better lighting but largely leave them untouched.
For editing sounds, AA3 has better quality as well as better recorded weapon sounds. It's about realism. I think AA3 had a larger budget and better foundation for realism and it would be cool to bring that to 2.5. But, just because it's possible, doesn't mean we'll do it. It would take a lot of time pouring through the 2100 sound files ripped from AA3 and then trying to match the weapon sounds with the animations, things may not look right.
If you spend $100 on a 'sound card' you fail. PC sound cards these days are largely pointless and low quality unless you overpay for an Auzentech or Xonar but even those are a good waste of money. If you care about true sound quality and no gimmicks like most all of Creative's features, an external DAC is the way to go. I know they can be easily had for $100.

I haven't played in any customized maps because I like the way they have always been / are and I don't support the idea of changing good old sounds. If merging means disabling the good old world that have always been and "updating" sounds, then it's no from me. I love this game as it is and that's why I don't play AA3.

What it comes to sound camping, it's just one part of camping. There have always been lame campers that camp with or without sound, whatever happens. That doesn't mean you have to go with them.
See my post above about AA3 sounds. It's just one of the ways the game becomes flexible. It shows that we can pretty much do anything.
For sound camping, in Bad Company 2, if I don't like how the gameplay is going on a particular server, I leave and find a new one. This doesn't quite work on 2.5 as there's only 1 or 2 populated servers. Camping is a lame tactic but I still do it :)

Have to agree with Killer here, back in the day my Medusa's and sound tweeks only ever came out when playing comp, wouldn't have dreamed playing 'by sound' in pubs would have just made it hideously boring
Medusa's and sound "tweeks" are fail. See the first reply in my post. There's a fine line by playing "by sound". It's part of the game, it's part of life. In the Army, in a kill or be killed situation, you need to use things to your advantage. Sound is a big aspect of that and there's no reason to ignore it. I'll admit that UE2 has flaws with sound as far as going through walls and things like that. This kind of merges into my point on adjusting brightness for an advantage. It's really the same thing. Tweaking drivers or adjusting in-game settings for an advantage is lame and it ultimately ruins the experience. Get everybody a properly calibrated monitor and something other than onboard audio, use default settings, and you'll have fair gameplay. It's too bad there's people that don't think that way, that try to cheat the system for an advantage.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 13:19:09 PM »
I have voted yes, but people should consider this:

as i think that Killaman and Jared have fair point of view (both of them) i also think that we are using this Version of america's army beacuse is the one we like and also multi-platform...so every one os us can play, its been alot of time since i used linux (last one i used was mandrake or something like that, maybe ubuntu 5.06).

Everything that we can do to make the game betetr i think i shall be done.. why beacuse it will fill servers with people and bring life to the community we once were. One question tho putting more and more into the game wont raise his minimun requirements for playability?
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #29 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 13:26:45 PM »
One question tho putting more and more into the game wont raise his minimun requirements for playability?

Not really. The engine has it's limits and we can't go past that without problems. mAAp Pipeline is more demanding than Bridge but it still will only use a single-core CPU and a middle-range or even low-range GPU. Possibly 2GB of RAM if you close all other programs as well.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager