Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Poll

Merge "Normal" and "mAAp" modes in Assist?

Yes
1624 (83.7%)
No
316 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Merging Normal & mAAp Modes  (Read 12961 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Merging Normal & mAAp Modes
« on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 19:04:54 PM »
Jonny, I know you're busy fixing bugs and making sure Auth is running properly but I wanted to make a list and a poll for everybody to see the positives and negatives for merging modes. It seems like to me that regular non-Assist servers aren't being used and there's only 3 or so of them but I know you do want to make it so anybody can play anywhere. Feel free to edit this post to add your positives & negatives.

Keep in mind that we can do most of the positives already but they would only be available in mAAp mode, the reason why it hasn't been done is that a lot of people don't play mAAp mode but regular mode.

Positives:
Customize the game in depth: AA3 weapon sounds, higher resolution HUD icons, custom loading screen.
No need for duplicate files like the modded T_UI2
Trim down installation size by removing useless textures/meshes/code
Custom in-game icons like those for 100+ honor or developer icons
No moving files before joining a server, get in the action faster

Negatives:
Can't play on non-Assist servers such as DNAF.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Merging Normal & mAAp Modes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 20:29:00 PM »
Yea skrewy, put on your herps before you go outside.

I'll pop in to say I want mAAp and regular mode to be combined. There are some things that 2.5 would benefit having an update, those are clearly labeled in spanky's first post. For example, Spanky says we can trim down the installation size. This is a big thing. 99% of people don't know how much garbage is floating around in AA not being used. This is easily removable and makes the game faster (noob terms here).

I'll also chime in about the weapon sounds. For years and years, you guys have played hearing the same sounds over and over. It's annoying, and they're old. The sounds need a real refresh, and its easy to get the more realistic AA3 sounds in AA2. freesound.org has a large collection of sounds that we can use to as well to randomize/improve sounds. Audio is an important aspect of AA.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 20:35:17 PM »
are we able to increase/decrease certain sounds, so u cant sound camp as effectively, (pipe being a huge sound camping dream and a perfect example of how super human the hearing is) lowering footsteps so they can be heard at a much smaller radius. ja ja ja ja, Salat Flugzeug beischlaf U-Boot; skrewy verfolgen riesig Rute dicke Mann

Anything is possible. That would require coding though.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 20:37:49 PM »
not just using audio files of lesser volume? if I was unreal engine god shit would be simplier

Possible but it won't change the radius.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 21:11:15 PM »
Here's how things are in AA:
-You have a class called pawn
--Inside this class defines the basics of all players/pawns.
--Things defined include animation, sounds they make, skins, etc.

Lets take the footsteps example:
-Class pawn
--Depending on what surface theyre in contact with they create certain sounds
--If the surface is metal, select one sound to play from the 'metal footsteps' array
---The player takes a step and that sound is played. Sound radius and volume are already set.
--If the surface is wood, " "
---The player takes a step and " "

and so on and so on.

There isn't really a way to reduce the volume or radius of footsteps on a single map. You can't really make an efficient exception for a certain map either, the game doesn't understand the concept of a 'map.'

We can look into ways to reduce the volume or something per map, but I don't know how that works unless I have the editor pulled up.
What we can do is add more sounds into the map so its harder to listen for other players walking around.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 21:12:59 PM by BlueBlaster »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 04:22:06 AM »
Scrolling down i could only read about wonderful ideas and positive things, so i'm for a whopping yes.

Quote from: Google translator
Salad beischlaf submarine aircraft; skrewy pursue huge tail fat man

Nasty Skrewy.

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 06:02:36 AM »
I think its a good idea, cant people give those a nudge who wont use assist on their servers and convince them too

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 08:00:01 AM »
I think its a good idea, cant people give those a nudge who wont use assist on their servers and convince them too

I think that for some it might just be the habit of setting up the server in the same way for ages. Sure thing it's better let em understand the Assist way it's better  :)

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
Here's how things are in AA:
-You have a class called pawn
--Inside this class defines the basics of all players/pawns.
--Things defined include animation, sounds they make, skins, etc.

Lets take the footsteps example:
-Class pawn
--Depending on what surface theyre in contact with they create certain sounds
--If the surface is metal, select one sound to play from the 'metal footsteps' array
---The player takes a step and that sound is played. Sound radius and volume are already set.
--If the surface is wood, " "
---The player takes a step and " "

and so on and so on.

There isn't really a way to reduce the volume or radius of footsteps on a single map. You can't really make an efficient exception for a certain map either, the game doesn't understand the concept of a 'map.'

We can look into ways to reduce the volume or something per map, but I don't know how that works unless I have the editor pulled up.
What we can do is add more sounds into the map so its harder to listen for other players walking around.

Is it not possible to override class so that if PlayerX's Position  is > Distance to Player i  footsound not loaded. ??

Jared

« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
I think it would be neat to merge maap and normal aa. As i was telling nate, once maap pipeline was finished I think it should be the new pipeline for 2.5. I think by doing this we can show that we are wanting to make progress for 2.5 it could be done like 2.5.2; Have the community vote for new maps, and we could fix bugs in the already made maps, to make 2.5 even better.

I would advise not to edits sounds, AA has a foundation that has been here for years and thats why we all like to play this game, if you start changing things people wont like it and most likely leave or not play.

Its 2012 and a sound card is like only $100.00 so go get one.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »
I think it would be neat to merge maap and normal aa. As i was telling nate, once maap pipeline was finished I think it should be the new pipeline for 2.5. I think by doing this we can show that we are wanting to make progress for 2.5 it could be done like 2.5.2; Have the community vote for new maps, and we could fix bugs in the already made maps, to make 2.5 even better.

I would advise not to edits sounds, AA has a foundation that has been here for years and thats why we all like to play this game, if you start changing things people wont like it and most likely leave or not play.

Jared, i think your idea is great... but most of the poele wont like you taking out a map to put another, is what i dislike of AA3 in the first place.

i love map diversity most people like playing mAAp but the always go back to basic remeber that.
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Alex

« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »

1st of all, $100 is a lot of money. 2nd of all, I hate the whole sound camping shit in public servers that the competitive scene brought in. It's just stupid. 2.5 was never about sound camping, but just having fun. I don't want to sit in a room with the door cracked listening for footsteps, that's not fun. I want to be playing. I agree that the sounds shouldn't be replaced though, I just hate the "get a great sound card to hear everywhere your enemy is" mindset.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 13, 2012, 10:49:17 AM by KiLLaMaN »

Jared

« Reply #12 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
Killa then just like you said, don't play that way. simple.

Anyways most people with sounds cards don't play that way either unless they are the last ones alive and are trying to win or come in clutch.

@mister pipeline is still pipeline its just an updated the version nothing has been taken out. The only minus to this is that if competitive play was to come back the new pipeline couldn't be used.

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »
Killa then just like you said, don't play that way. simple.

Anyways most people with sounds cards don't play that way either unless they are the last ones alive and are trying to win or come in clutch.

@mister pipeline is still pipeline its just an updated the version nothing has been taken out. The only minus to this is that if competitive play was to come back the new pipeline couldn't be used.
That's not a solution though, because a sound camper is going to kill someone playing for fun 9 times out of 10. Where does that leave the person who doesn't want to sound camp? Quitting the game, that's where. Maybe if AA had even decent sounds this wouldn't be all that big of a problem.

Jared

« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
so the person that put money into his machine or bought good headphones should be the one to get penalized? If you want to compete on that level then you should do the same, and not bitch about it.

If you don't want to use sound then don't complain about losing 9 times out of 10

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager