Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: In-Game settings menu  (Read 5686 times)

Jonnym

In-Game settings menu
« on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 17:47:26 PM »
... will be returning in the next update.
due to constant bitching.

The reason the ingame menu were removed are not really relevant anymore, time was when you could join a server from the ingame menu and then get banned by PB for whitelist violations due to maap files in your folder. Well these days the ingame server list cannot be used because of login and stage 1 auth.
Loading time may increase slightly with having to load the menu, but it gets these whining bitches off my back.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: In-Game settings menu
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 18:06:22 PM »
=\ My money says that people will bitch that they can't join from the in-game server list.

To decrease loading times, you could also see if removing the music helps or perhaps making the splash image smaller. The loading music is like 3MB and could be totally removed IMO.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Jonnym

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 18:08:08 PM »
=\ My money says that people will bitch that they can't join from the in-game server list.

I was actually thinking the same thing.

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 19:15:48 PM »
I think that is a huge update, especially for those who keep changing gamma and brightness, like me  ;D

Good job Jonny  ;)

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
Yes, plz. Bring the menu back. I'm always changing mouse settings and other things on the fly. I always check the IP, and other things while playing in a server.

And plz make us to be able to join servers from in-game.

The account inside has no trainings. I tried the cheat for skiping all trainings, but it doesn't work, I wanted to see if I could join a server from in-game browser, but it always give the error that I didn't trained...

ps: And it would be awesome to have the trainings back, so that u can't join a server without making the trainings, that's also the big difference from AA (realism) to any other crapt online game out there.
Keep Cool

Jonnym

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
I was actually thinking the same thing.

And it begins.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
Joining a server from the ingame browser or from the assist is really the same. Actually Assist layout is cleaner.
I don't see that much need to adjust settings on the fly (playing windowed, you can even reshape the window if you need a different resolution), except for those who change their gamma/brightness settings every 2 minutes and such.

I understand your point and it's sad to have so-called bitches whining. Especially for something not worthy to gameplay as much as any other sensible side of the game.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »
Yes would be a good idea anyway

I think that is a huge update, especially for those who keep changing gamma and brightness, like me  ;D

U can change them by pressing F7 and F8 normally ...

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 15:45:23 PM »
Yes, plz. Bring the menu back. I'm always changing mouse settings and other things on the fly. I always check the IP, and other things while playing in a server.

And plz make us to be able to join servers from in-game.

The account inside has no trainings. I tried the cheat for skiping all trainings, but it doesn't work, I wanted to see if I could join a server from in-game browser, but it always give the error that I didn't trained...

ps: And it would be awesome to have the trainings back, so that u can't join a server without making the trainings, that's also the big difference from AA (realism) to any other crapt online game out there.
Keep Cool

I'm going to kill myself today. Good thing statistics say men are more likely to succeed in suicide attempts.

Jonnym

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 16:02:02 PM »
OK I will say this only once.

Assist server browser connects you to AA25.org auth system.

In-game browser connects you to army auth system that was shut down last december.

Now, With the in-game browser, if you were able to hack your way past the training check you would be asked for the server key, this is provided by the auth system you are NOT connected to.. Now if you were are to hack into the aa25.org auth system to obtain said key you might get into the server but you would be turfed out onto your ass so hard you wouldn't see what happend for an unauthorised attempt to join the server.

SO NO.
No
no

You see why we disable in-game menus now, it was just easier than having to explain to all 1000 odd players. I can see now there are going to be tons of bugs reports for not being able to join servers.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 16:05:15 PM by Jonnym »

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 19:25:55 PM »
if you return the menu, the bitching will only increase.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 19:48:16 PM »
Not it won't. If u bring the menu back and AA as it was meant to be, no one can complain.

It lost a lot of realism with the fact that newbes don't need to do the trainings. And I really hate to always be exiting game...

And it is possible to brig the menu back, just as easy as hacking AA so that the login system get's redirected to 25Assist instead of the original AA links.

And if you guys talked with AA dev's, I think they would kindly do that for you!...

ps: We used to be connected to AA devs on =[SMIRL]=. In fact we had the first modified map ever made (bridge at night), because we were able to get the original compiler used by the devs....
Keep Cool

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 19:57:35 PM »
Not it won't. If u bring the menu back and AA as it was meant to be, no one can complain.
It will because you still won't be able to join servers via the in-game browser and people will bitch about that.

It lost a lot of realism with the fact that newbes don't need to do the trainings. And I really hate to always be exiting game...
Most everybody had the training done. The majority of people playing 2.5 are veterans that have played AA for a long time. For new players, the training is quite a roadblock and I know of people that give up playing because of the hassle.

And it is possible to brig the menu back, just as easy as hacking AA so that the login system get's redirected to 25Assist instead of the original AA links.
If you want to supply us with the source code, we could re-compile it to chat with the 25Assist authorization server and possibly re-add training (although it would still require a lot of coding and database setup).

And if you guys talked with AA dev's, I think they would kindly do that for you!...
I highly doubt it. I've tried to contact people over the years, including devs and never got a response. There's liability, the code was created under contract and with NDA agreements. Not to mention the software is licensed to the government that paid for it, it would be pretty bad if it got out.

ps: We used to be connected to AA devs on =[SMIRL]=. In fact we had the first modified map ever made (bridge at night), because we were able to get the original compiler used by the devs....
I was a part of that site, I remember it quite well. I even talked with Reverend many times via MSN. My understanding is that the leaked AA editor was ripped from E3 in 2005 which makes sense as the editor is missing various things. It's also setup for the E3 preview with maps and the E3 interface.

It would be quite rare and lucky to have an old beta or dev give out some files. Don't get me wrong, I would love to talk with one and get it to happen but my attempts have failed and I don't see anyone else having success.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Gekkou

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 13, 2012, 06:55:20 AM »
leave it as it is.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2012, 18:05:42 PM »
Damn it...

But hey THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TRYING for all of us! That means something...

Haha reverend and hackerx, yeah. The good old times. They promised a all new smirl with a bunch of sites were all would have the access to the same database so that we could login on all with only one account... Tell him to die 4 that promise (LOL jocking :P however he can go back to CS and dump coffe on his computer and kill it  ;D).
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 14, 2012, 18:11:20 PM by guily6669 »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager