Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Hand over of Command  (Read 11468 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Hand over of Command
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 18:38:17 PM »
Even donations don't have to be a problem. I have access to hosted servers with good connectivity in Europe (where most AA2.5 live servers are), and the master server could be deployed there at no cost.

Maybe Jonny could send you his server box then? Cost is a significant hurdle. Updates can be done later on with some instructions from Jonny. In fact, I don't mind doing the labor for 1 mAAp update for Assist. Jonny, is it possible you could write up a tutorial on how to go about updating files?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 18:58:47 PM »
Maybe Jonny could send you his server box then? Cost is a significant hurdle. Updates can be done later on with some instructions from Jonny. In fact, I don't mind doing the labor for 1 mAAp update for Assist. Jonny, is it possible you could write up a tutorial on how to go about updating files?

Box? I thought it's enough to install the auth server software on another machine, i didn't know it requires dedicated box. The number of total AA2.5 servers and players is quite low after all, therefore workload on the auth server should not be especially high.

Jonny, can you give some idea of cpu/memory/network usage of the auth server?
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 19:04:52 PM by pit-23 »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 19:17:00 PM »
There's a thread here where he bought himself a 4-CPU 2UU rackmount server and ran it out of his shed then moved it to a datacenter (centre :D) for Assist. The game servers aren't required but the master server and web server is.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 19:30:58 PM »
If pit can be in charge of the server box that would be pretty good. The game could go on for a long time. I don't tell people much about what's going on with me but I'm about to go to university of illinois for computer engineering in august. I've gotta relocate and bla bla bla, so I'll be busy for 2 years or so with that.

But I can still run stuff if it needs to be run. If pit can do the server box that would be awesome for everyone. Spanky, me, jared, and killa (and sergio) can run the other operations together. Skrewy can still continue to be the mustard and mayo.

Since this is quite a significant event, I think it would be good to see what we can each contribute to the project to keep it going.

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 20:16:08 PM »
There's a thread here where he bought himself a 4-CPU 2UU rackmount server and ran it out of his shed then moved it to a datacenter (centre :D) for Assist. The game servers aren't required but the master server and web server is.

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something, but I'd expect such machine to mosly idle when running the auth/master server + website, which handles the amount of clients we have in AA2.5 community (i.e. low).

I think Jonny just bought himself a rig to play BF3, and the whole assist thing is just a smoke screen ;-DDD.

But seriously, it would be much easier and practical to move just the software, not the whole box.

In the meantime I will talk to the guy who owns all the stuff at my place (Chicken Farm), to check what are the possibilities.

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 20:21:35 PM »
Since this is quite a significant event, I think it would be good to see what we can each contribute to the project to keep it going.

Personally I'm mostly interested in coding, and that's the area where I can contribute most.

Hosting the server at CFC (Chicken Farm) is another possibility, but that's really up to the CFC owner (I don't own it, I just help to keep it running).

Jonnym

« Reply #21 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 03:03:59 AM »
I would be happy for pit to take over the auth server.
Currently it is hosted on a VPS at a hosting company, Usage is around 1% so it is a very small load. The VPS hosting account has 80GBP credit on it, which cannot be refunded, so there is no point moving it yet, Best I sign the hosting account over to you, then it will have enough credit on it to run for 3 or 4 months, when the credit runs out then you can move it to another server. I will also sign over the aa25.org domain name which controls where the auth server is pointed to.

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 03:28:47 AM »
Currently it is hosted on a VPS at a hosting company, Usage is around 1% so it is a very small load. [...]

So it's not running on this one http://aao25.com/2-5-assist/new-beast-server/msg10139/#msg10139 anymore? That would clarify my doubts.

[...] it will have enough credit on it to run for 3 or 4 months, when the credit runs out then you can move it to another server [...]

Great, during that time I can familiarize with it, and also setup a second instance in advance.

Jonnym

« Reply #23 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »
No its not running on that beast anymore, Its just on a rented VPS. PM me your real name and e-mail address and I will hand over the account. (its at eukhost.com) after a couple of days, just to see if anyone else has anything useful to say in this thread.

It will be great to see someone take this project forward. I think its the right thing to do, i don't have the time or energy to move things forward anymore, I think its only fair I should hand over to someone who will.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 20, 2012, 05:15:23 AM by Jonnym »

Offline Ganja

« Reply #24 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »
Sad news, but awlays thought it would happen. Most of you guys don't play the game (anymore) and don't get paid or whatever so it seems logical u get bored or u have other priorities.

I hope this comunity will not die like 2.8.5.

First of all thank you for trying to offer the 'job' to someone else, so the game doesn't die (not like 2.8.5)
And then thank you for all the free work you've done here, it just saved a game ...

Now I could have taken the job, cauz I want AA to stay alive, i'm pretty active blablabla but like Killa said I have no idea about coding and how all this system works :D So forget it for me.

Good luck with all your real lifes budies, nice to have met y'all

(strange how it sounds as a goodbye)

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
Ganja it's not they will leave, they will be around helping with coding and all that stuff, they just don't have the time needed to keep things going, it's a wise decision by Jonny, it must be hard give your "baby" to another person  8)

Once again a big thanks to all admins for the excellent effort to keep the game alive, and good luck to the one who will keep the "baby" fed  :P

Offline Gekkou

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »
If none comes up i rather maintain it and try to keep it running than letting it die now after all the hard work done by you guys.
Anyone if my advise is worth something, hand it over to Big Sergio I'm pretty sure he is capable of doing a good job and is a reliable person.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #27 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 13:33:43 PM »
My vote would go to pits, he's pretty knowledgeable and has shown skill in the past with this stuff. Sergio is great for anti-cheat and moderation.

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #28 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 14:22:04 PM »
I just don't wanna see it going down now, and so will do whatever i can to keep helping. And btw, thanks for the support Gekkou.
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 16:19:53 PM »
Relax guys, this is not presidential campaign :-D, there is not much sense in choosing between me, Sergio or whoever. I'll do my stuff (coding + running auth server if needed), Sergio will do his (hunting for bad guys), others will do theirs, and everything will be just fine.

And I completely agree with Sergio - going down is not an option.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 20, 2012, 16:29:36 PM by pit-23 »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager