Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Guide for converting game assets from America's Army 2.8.5 to America's Army 2.5  (Read 98848 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Guide for converting game assets from America's Army 2.8.5 to America's Army 2.5
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 12:23:01 PM »
Truth be told, I don't really know 2.8 maps that well. We converted Rummage by hand and Koden is working on Interdiction. I think someone wanted OldTown but I don't know how the community feels about that as a whole. No point in converting if nobody will play it :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: Guide for converting game assets from America's Army 2.8.5 to America's Army 2.5
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »
Any specific map I should start messing with?

Well, Jonny asked for SnakePlain, but it's a rather huge map and there's plenty of terrain that i believe Jonny meant to have in the 2.5 version of that map (while instead it has been cut out of Interdiction).

SF OldTown is quite a go as it likely has only about 2 static meshes from 2.8 and 800 textures from 2.8 over 21000 from previous versions. So it's fair to say it's a decently complete map on the geometry side.

After that, there's a good amount of custom maps, if you want a suggestion you can take a look at Sledgehammer (there might be a coop version around).

« Last Edit: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 12:34:30 PM by Koden »

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
I'm downloading 2.8.5 now.

If I manage to do this, the plan is to convert the map(s) completly without much manual intervention.
Terrain, Meshes...

I'll take a look, and repor back what can be done.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Some textures and meshes aren't in 2.5 that do exist in 2.8. It would be good to put those in 2.5 packages in case they're used by multiple maps, this would cut down file size rather than using mylevel. Just an idea though. If there's a 2.8 map you like, I would say go for it rather than guessing one the 2.5 community would like.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
Some textures and meshes aren't in 2.5 that do exist in 2.8. It would be good to put those in 2.5 packages in case they're used by multiple maps, this would cut down file size rather than using mylevel. Just an idea though. If there's a 2.8 map you like, I would say go for it rather than guessing one the 2.5 community would like.

I only played bridge, from v1.1 to v2.8.X, so I would't  have a clue.
I've been out of touch for such a long time, I'm just need a starting point.
I've saw mention of 2.4.1 editor, where can I download that? I assume if you can load up what I produce in that editor you are good to go?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
I've saw mention of 2.4.1 editor, where can I download that? I assume if you can load up what I produce in that editor you are good to go?

Well yes, provided to have the packages with a correct linking. As it's mentioned in Spanky's guide, 2.8.5 packages feature different root names in comparison to their 2.5 relatives (M_AA2_ instead of M2-).

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »
I sent you a PM ELiZ. We do use the 2.4.1 editor to create/edit maps for AA 2.5.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 14:32:30 PM »
I think I got all that I need to convert packages from 2.8.5 to 2.5.0.
Now I only have to dig up old memories from 6-7 years ago about the pitfalls and I know there are some not so obvious.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 14:54:58 PM »
I think I got all that I need to convert packages from 2.8.5 to 2.5.0.
Now I only have to dig up old memories from 6-7 years ago about the pitfalls and I know there are some not so obvious.

One could write a book (perhaps volumes) on the pitfalls and quirks of Unreal :D

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 16:21:26 PM »
Came here to post that when Spanky was making CD's for the mAAp developers a few years ago when we thought we were finished with AA, I remember he put a copy of ELiZ's 3DSMax bridge. Just some trivia for you guys :)

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 14:28:25 PM »
Status report:

About 80% done.
Almost all 2.8.5 packages converted to v2.5.0 can now be loaded in the 2.4.1 editor.
Only 4 maps fails on the convert.

I still suffer for not to be able to decode the nametable 100% correctly, some characters still get jumbled. Hopefully I will be able to finish this weekend, when I finally have some time over.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 15:49:25 PM »
Status report:

About 80% done.
Almost all 2.8.5 packages converted to v2.5.0 can now be loaded in the 2.4.1 editor.
Only 4 maps fails on the convert.

I still suffer for not to be able to decode the nametable 100% correctly, some characters still get jumbled. Hopefully I will be able to finish this weekend, when I finally have some time over.

I'm getting a "Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow" message after a few maps, it stops at Canyon. I have a few custom made maps, would that make for an issue?

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 16:01:57 PM »
I'm getting a "Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow" message after a few maps, it stops at Canyon. I have a few custom made maps, would that make for an issue?

the version you tested had som absolute paths for what maps to skip, ie:
D:\Workbench\AARE\America's Army 2.8.5\Maps\Canyon.aao

I've attached a beta2 vesion to to this post.
It still have alot of issues, but it should be able to get past 4 maps I have Total Failure with.

Make sure to unpack it anywhere else BUT the game folder.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 16:17:00 PM »
the version you tested had som absolute paths for what maps to skip, ie:
D:\Workbench\AARE\America's Army 2.8.5\Maps\Canyon.aao

I've attached a beta2 vesion to to this post.
It still have alot of issues, but it should be able to get past 4 maps I have Total Failure with.

Make sure to unpack it anywhere else BUT the game folder.

Roger that, thank you for the fast reply ;)

I tried the new version and it works.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 16:42:25 PM by Koden »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 17:06:22 PM »
Eliz may i ask if you opened a converted map in the 2.4.1 editor? I have something wierd going on, as i ported all the converted packages (static meshes, textures, sounds animations and maps) into my AA 2.5 folder, and opened a map into the editor but i see many textures missing despite the packages being there. I hope it's just something wrong on my install :)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager