Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 24436 times)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 08:17:46 AM »
Have you seen/heard of mAAp?

You reminded me about aa-maps.net (the website doesn't exist no more but a little cache does http://web.archive.org/web/20080309115831/http://www.aa-maps.net/, back in maybe 4 or 5 years ago there was a community that used to make maps and some pretty cool thing like this (by vvaffenpazzer):

And maps like this one (by Spetsnaz, which is still active but on other games).

I've been lurking the thread a little yesterday ^^' i'm not a programmer, i just model some things, but i'd love to see AA2 back and operative aswell.

« Last Edit: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 08:21:45 AM by Koden »

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 13:35:51 PM »
I think that's the idea. Problem is though that while mods can be made for 2.5, the core files cannot be easily altered as far as I know. Everyone should bear in mind that the UnrealEd engine we have is AA v2.4.1. I was told there's individuals that have the engine between 2.7 and 2.8 but I never got ahold of that.

I like this idea ^^

In regards to an SQL base that does hold some other security issues in itself.  I work alot with MSSQL on a daily basis and have to go to great lengths in both the software code and stored procs etc to ensure it's secure.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 14:51:16 PM »
You reminded me about aa-maps.net (the website doesn't exist no more but a little cache does http://web.archive.org/web/20080309115831/http://www.aa-maps.net/, back in maybe 4 or 5 years ago there was a community that used to make maps and some pretty cool thing like this (by vvaffenpazzer):

And maps like this one (by Spetsnaz, which is still active but on other games).

I've been lurking the thread a little yesterday ^^' i'm not a programmer, i just model some things, but i'd love to see AA2 back and operative aswell.

Yea, that's how mAAp started. Me and BlueBlaster used to frequent those forums in awe of what they did. Then as 2.7 and 2.8 came out, interest dropped and when 2.8's map editor came out the site pretty much died. BlueBlaster had the idea of finding all the maps those guys made at aa-maps.net and putting them into a pack. A few versions in, we got the Unreal Editor from iZi (the admin at aa-maps) and started fixing up the maps and making our own.

Most of the maps in the mAAp Pack are from the guys at aa-maps.net, just refinished, updated and a few bugs fixed:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/mAApPackFiles/Screenshots.png

In regards to an SQL base that does hold some other security issues in itself.  I work alot with MSSQL on a daily basis and have to go to great lengths in both the software code and stored procs etc to ensure it's secure.

It's all I know and all I could contribute. I was just mentioning it as an idea because it's fairly easy to work with and scale to add features. I'm think it would be fairly easy to compile some uscript to make calls like jQuery's .get();
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 19:20:06 PM »
What are you going to be using the SQL base for?

Also if you would be starting at some point to start looking at stat tracking i would happily write an iOS and Android app for people to check their stats (one of those pointless apps people seem to like with game these days). Anything I can do to help get more people in I will. And happily holidays all!

Haha, pointless apps :P Knowing what I know now about MySQL, PHP and whatnot, it seems pretty easy to build a stat tracking website. I know for a fact that DRAAT would never be modified/upgraded to support anything more than what it has now.

I mentioned the SQL base for account handling in-game. I just threw that idea out there as I know of no other database methods that would be easy. This would make for a nice web interface for users accounts as well. Hell, with a mod, you wouldn't need to build a stat tracking website, just submit a player's stats when the round ends or they leave the server. It would probably have weak points for stat hacking but I don't think there's much to worry about in a small community, plus there could be reporting.

Offline Alex

« Reply #34 on: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 20:29:37 PM »
As a serious question, is 2.5 really worth saving? The last few times I ever went on it was just one server populated and it was a stupid modded server every single time. Would there even be a large enough player base for it to be worth it?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 20:59:09 PM »
As a serious question, is 2.5 really worth saving? The last few times I ever went on it was just one server populated and it was a stupid modded server every single time. Would there even be a large enough player base for it to be worth it?

Great question. Until the answer is yes, and until there is proof, I'm not doing anything other than talking.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 21:13:31 PM »
     You sound ike skrewy...
 I know that the worst thing i could probably say to you lol, but i agree with you... 2.5 was great and still is. But people moved on to other versions or other games, what we really need to do first is get people involved i am quite sure that most of us has an msn full of AA contacts get in touch with them, let them know what is going on and ask if they want to come back.. if we get enough people maybe even nate will play again...
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 02:54:47 AM »
I got replies from at least 20 more player that are willing to play AA2 every nigth as we were doing on 2.8.5, they say that if the only way to play is 2.5 they will come down.

The only problem i see is that there are not hosting companies that are willing to host a server for this game.

Could always talk some round, or just rent servers and set it up manually.

I like what your doing not sure you will get AA2.5 in Australia.  People are hoping v2.8.5 will get fixed.

I had a server in Brisbane which had the best of both worlds, over 100MB of BW U/D and a low ping to oversea's clients..
I could probably get this up and running again on AA2.5 if that's what you need.

Overseas players may come on to it.  They did on 2.8.x.  Most OS Server have way to higher ping for me as they tend to go for price rather than quality.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 05:28:41 AM »

Most of the maps in the mAAp Pack are from the guys at aa-maps.net, just refinished, updated and a few bugs fixed:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/mAApPackFiles/Screenshots.png

I can spot the Yeti watching the tv in one of those pics lolz.

Btw, if you let 2.8.5 players know that there's a chance to track and get tracked on 2.5, some might come back. My own opinion anyway is that many server admins kept hosting the same maps for a wee bit too long (many wonderful maps haven't been hosted in ages) but it's just imho ;) as far as for the way so many people used to play 2.8.5 before the services shutdown, i think it wouldn't be an issue for em to play 2.5 (i am actually a coop aficionado but there are really few of us coop lovers at this time).

Oh, and there's a clan called Fair Dinkum Gamers playing from Australia, they also host a couple custom servers i think. 
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 05:32:56 AM by Koden »

Offline mamerize

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »
first of all.. i wanna thank u all for keeping 2.5 alive. ur guys really help me before...
now seem AA2 community once again need help. :D.

i've seen 2.5.org server on 2.5. seem people love it... & me too  ;)
idea to develop out own auth, honor and tracking systems was a great idea..

Keep the good work!.

Offline mamerize

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
opss.. 1 more thing... if ur guys need an admin on ur server let me know.

i was active on 2.5 ,  admin on our clan server. i also one of leader on our clan.
i think some one have a good care at ur server...

my name on game is---> [K][K].mamerize

Thx

www.kingkillerz.darkbb.com

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 15:51:56 PM »
Maybe mister can pull NIFTY out of hiding.

I have benn trying to for the past few months....

www.niftyclan.net

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 21:10:03 PM »
!!!
I took a huge break from the internet and I come back to find the yearly 2.5 revival session hahaha

Most of you all seem excited to start doing work on 2.5 again, but let me chime in here as someone whose modded and created lots of content for the game. The engine it runs on it terribly old, buggy, has rampant unfinished code strewn on there by multiple devs from the armyops team, and is not 100% open to modify by us because we plainly don't have all the files needed.

You guys can go ahead and bring the game back, but itll just be the same game that it was from the beginning; and thats very boring. I love the game as much as you guys, but this needs some serious work in order to be special. The only way I can see this happening is if it were made from vanilla on a solid engine (has to be better than the crap it's running on now).

Actually IMO, the game ran the best (and I mean by how well it was coded and optimized) on version 2.3. The only thing holding it back on 2.3 are some of the games rules and mechanics (various animation speeds and tweaks, grenade throw length, bla bla bla you know those things). I also consider graphics to be a hold back on it, even though I guess some people might like it for nostalgic purposes.

But yeah, I sorta blabbered on there. If you guys come up with a solid idea to make 2.5 spectacular I'm interested. Or if you're bringing it back to dick around and have some fun and competitive play, you can count me in on that too :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 23:14:22 PM »
I played with Dann like last month. There's still 1 or 2 really good players on there still. And AA is still probably the only game that gets me really tense when I'm the last one on my team. Fucking amazing.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 07:59:59 AM »
I was thinking about the database and all shit this morning while i was having my yearly bath so... i cam up with this...

what about if we ask to the battletracker team to run an authorization server that points to the usernames registered in their log in database?

Or we could just do something like that our very own AAclassic.com our auth server would be pointing to the site and you could register there and with that very same account you would be able to play.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager