Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 24440 times)

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
Re: Greetings
« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 06:51:17 AM »
Ha! could see if i could use some work servers too i suppose

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 07:48:31 AM »
I can't belive i have agreed in soemthing with skrewy 10k post bring people together!

@skrewy I could do what u ak skrewy, the thing is that this servers are not designed to run games, and the other problem is the internet bandwith wich is really low and we would all lag out!
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Jonnym

« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
For servers to run properly in the post auth era, they need to be run using 2.5Assist Server, This rules out use gaming server providers. The best options is to rent a L-VPS-01 from eukhost.com. These are difficult to set-up as they are bare Linux servers so AA25.org will install and set-up your L-VPS-01 for you free of charge, you will then be able to log-in to it using VNC. These will be good for 20-slots and cost 19GBP(29dollars). Hosted in the UK so good ping from US and Europe.

The only problem with post era 2.5 servers is they are difficuly to admin, We cannot use player admins anymore for security reasons, You can only be a Player, or you can be an Admin spectating. You cannot be an Admin and a player at the same... Which is annoying.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 23, 2011, 11:51:09 AM by Jonnym »

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
it is slightly annoying yet not a game killer.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 14:22:19 PM »
I just want to play the  F´ing game!

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #20 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 14:27:47 PM »
server needs to run maap, atleast pipeline. cos nate made the pressure vessels on it look silly but I've never told him.

I never made those, I just imported them into the game. Got a problem with them, talk to Delta. He made and textured those. They have vastly less polygons than the original ones.

Anyway, on topic:
I might be able to host a small server now that I have upgraded internet. At least a test one before money is sunk into servers. What's wrong with playeradmins Jonny?

You guys know what's creepy? I have a file on Dropbox that I wrote up some ideas for "AA Classic". Out of curiosity I went and looked at the date I made it. 2 years ago to the day. Some ideas are lame but there might be something decent:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/headshot/aaclassic.txt
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Jared

« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 15:02:33 PM »
Why not port 2.5 over to your own game? Fix the security errors then start a small community on that?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #22 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 15:11:54 PM »
Why not port 2.5 over to your own game? Fix the security errors then start a small community on that?

I think that's the idea. Problem is though that while mods can be made for 2.5, the core files cannot be easily altered as far as I know. Everyone should bear in mind that the UnrealEd engine we have is AA v2.4.1. I was told there's individuals that have the engine between 2.7 and 2.8 but I never got ahold of that.

Jared

« Reply #23 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 15:50:39 PM »
2.8 came with unreal editor didn't it?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #24 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:04:15 PM »
2.8 came with unreal editor didn't it?

Dumbed down, only for maps. The one we have can edit code and import/export items and pretty much do anything the devs did.

Jonnym

« Reply #25 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:06:35 PM »
They stopped mods being loaded into the game engine at about 2.7, So we cant do much with the newer versions. Can't use player admins because as soon as someone realises who the admins are they can just log-in with those names and be admins too. Anybody can take any name unless we make a new auth system.

Offline Alex

« Reply #26 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:16:59 PM »
They stopped mods being loaded into the game engine at about 2.7, So we cant do much with the newer versions. Can't use player admins because as soon as someone realises who the admins are they can just log-in with those names and be admins too. Anybody can take any name unless we make a new auth system.
Oh yeah. I remember people doing that when the Auth system went down a few times a while ago.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #27 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:19:52 PM »
Ok, yea that makes sense. There should be a way to figure out how the auth system worked and just replicate it. That or build a new auth system with a MySQL database or something.

Jared

« Reply #28 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:21:39 PM »
that would be a good starting point

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 21:56:54 PM »
Ok, yea that makes sense. There should be a way to figure out how the auth system worked and just replicate it. That or build a new auth system with a MySQL database or something.

I can help with the database i don't know much about it but i know some tricks.

We can also make something out of this

http://battletracker.com/forum/general/battletracker-news/p2721585-discontinue-authentication-support-for-america-s-army-2/#post2721585
« Last Edit: Friday, December 23, 2011, 22:18:35 PM by [Nifty]-mister »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager