Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Getting New Players  (Read 14788 times)

Offline Dialects

Re: Getting New Players
« Reply #30 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 23:35:19 PM »
I'll do the official promotion graphics. It seems right given I was the one that designed the logo and helped build the current Assist layout. Jared would be a better potential but he's currently AFK. I'll have them ready by tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Good to see this thread going. It's a nice fresh air of motivation.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
« Reply #31 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 23:38:24 PM »
Thanks. What would be even more nice is to remove this shoutbox. It is getting out of hand.....

Offline Dialects

« Reply #32 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 23:49:10 PM »
Thanks. What would be even more nice is to remove this shoutbox. It is getting out of hand.....

I just brought this matter to the rest of the Administrators. We'll have a verdict as well as an announcement on any future changes to our current shoutbox and the way it works shortly. Meanwhile, feel free to PM me if the shoutbox is getting out of hand again and I'll take care of it.

By the way, welcome to the community : )
/Dialects
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 03:56:53 AM »
i would not remove the shoutbox. its good integrated in assist.
having problems like auth went down, its a good place to inform a lot of players in a fast way - also them (most) not using this forum.

but having assist in any way on steam, this would be perfect - and boost this game for sure.

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 06:51:41 AM »
+1

having problems like auth went down, its a good place to inform a lot of players in a fast way - also them (most) not using this forum.

but having assist in any way on steam, this would be perfect - and boost this game for sure.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 09:01:30 AM »
If you don't want to remove the shoutbox, fine. Then it needs to be heavily moderated either in person or with a bot ala IRC. As a matter of fact, that would be one solution. Replace the shoutbox with an IRC server. Used to run an IRC server for Acclaim back in the day....

Offline Petrol

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 09:31:30 AM »
Quake NET IRC may be what you want.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »
I used IRC back in the day. But that was 10 years ago.

I don't know about the advancements in IRC, maybe it's nowadays more browser-based, but back in the day one would have to download another program for it, which we don't want.
I suppose it might be possible to implement it to Assist as well, but I don't really see how that would solve the problem.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 10:24:34 AM »
A lot of people just use Teamspeak nowadays.

Offline Lord-of-War

• Loyal Member
  • La vida no vale nada
    • View Profile
  • AA: Lord-of-War
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
IRC is no good - can be attacked by trojans & Co. easily

Lord-of-War  :style:
"the world is basically a forced labor camp from which the workers - all innocents - are led forth by lottery, a few each day, to be executed," Cormac McCarthy

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »
Lord of War, anything can be attacked/hacked.

There are web based softwares for IRC:

https://kiwiirc.com/
https://www.mibbit.com/

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 13:07:43 PM »
The biggest battle would be integrating it into Assist. If you can figure out how to add IRC to a RealBasic project, that might be a way to go. Maybe.

The shoutbox will not be removed, it is more of an asset than a negative. It can be moderated (users banned and shouts deleted) but the issue is that it's NOT being moderated. I've mentioned privately that an option would be to setup a better moderator team on AAO25 and set the shoutbox to be managed by moderators, not just admins.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Petrol

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 13:32:36 PM »
Spanky. Please design from real basic really.

Please start new project which will be next version of assist. I'm little bit busy at the moment, but I can help you if you want. Find people. Write down idea. Freeze 25assist. Make project. Give task.

As I said rewriting the game is best idea. But second possibility of creating better assist is good idea to.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 13:56:05 PM »
The biggest battle would be integrating it into Assist. If you can figure out how to add IRC to a RealBasic project, that might be a way to go. Maybe.

The shoutbox will not be removed, it is more of an asset than a negative. It can be moderated (users banned and shouts deleted) but the issue is that it's NOT being moderated. I've mentioned privately that an option would be to setup a better moderator team on AAO25 and set the shoutbox to be managed by moderators, not just admins.

Is there something you can do to censor foul language? (i know, people will make up odd alternatives, but still)

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 14:10:41 PM »
Spanky. Please design from real basic really.

Please start new project which will be next version of assist. I'm little bit busy at the moment, but I can help you if you want. Find people. Write down idea. Freeze 25assist. Make project. Give task.

As I said rewriting the game is best idea. But second possibility of creating better assist is good idea to.

And what exactly makes this new Assist "better"? I've yet to see an example.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager