Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Getting New Players  (Read 14897 times)

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
Re: Getting New Players
« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:20:16 PM »
-I had no idea about the Steam community. Just joined. All news posted on here need to be posted on Steam and on Raptr. As a matter of fact, I just posted about Assist on Raptr.

-for the home page, all the posts are written in a blog style instead of a news style. For me, a better posting would be "Assist is excited to announce this month Big Clan Day" or whatever, followed by times/days, servers available, maps used and such.  Also, the home page doesn't need to have latest topics and all of that.

-for the About, new players are the lifeblood of a game. In the case of Assist it is even more true. Old players and AA veterans such as myself understand what Assist is, however new players and those that have not touched AA since 2007-2008 may not.

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:43:39 PM »
Like this!????

Offline Ganja

« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:50:59 PM »
I 100% agree that the homepage should be much more professional, appealing and information giving.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #18 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:51:49 PM »
Like this!????
No, better.
A banner is more like this:
http://www.webestools.com/signatures-maker-forum-phpbb-sig-generator-images-banner-signature-online-photoshop.html

As I see it should have the following information:
AA2
25Asisst
http://aao25.com
Perhaps the playername.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #19 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:03:44 PM »
I'll let other people handle Raptr, that program annoys me to no end. Steam needs some help, it looks like I'm admin on there but I don't see much to do, might just be that I have no idea how to use Steam Groups. Might be best to let someone else handle the Steam side of things.

As for cross-posting, I've got Facebook & Twitter setup that way, I think Steam and Raptr would have to be manually done.

I'm not sure what you mean about the news posts. Maybe you can explain the difference between blog style and news style? The titles can't be too long, otherwise they overlap and makes things ugly. All pages, including the forum, have the sidebar. It's not just about the latest topics but also the donation box, shoutbox, stats and Teamspeak viewer. It wouldn't do any good to omit the latest posts with the rest of the sidebar still there, plus it would take away the continuity.

One of the things I was working on before I screwed up the site and lost the information by restoring a backup was a history of Assist with release dates, changelogs and all that good stuff. I'd like to see that back again, perhaps in the 'About' section.

Let's use this thread as a jumping off point for the About section. What are the basics that we should cover? Should we have a history or should it just be straight to the point?

*EDIT*
Vanoke, it's time for me to say something you probably don't want to hear;
You have Photoshop talent, I won't dispute that, but I would not use your talent to create promotional graphics. I have not seen anything of yours that is professional. The things you create are fun but not something that should be seen as the first thing when people hear about Assist. I understand that this project is not a paid, professional group of people doing this seriously but at the same time, we need new users to understand that this isn't some new flash-in-the-pan project that may die tomorrow. We've been around long enough to know what we're doing and any promotional graphics need to reflect that. While I've been part of Assist and AA, I've tried to keep a level of professionalism both in my writing and in the website/graphics. The reason is, anybody can start up a shitty clan site with bad graphics and guess what, nobody takes them seriously. I've been there, I've had shitty sites and it's a joke. When you bring a level of professionalism to the table, people pay attention and realize that it's something that's been around a while and that there's people behind the project that actually care. That's the way I view it anyway, even though I can be a prick at times.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:27:02 PM »
I didn't even know we had a steam group..... Why did nobody tell me this? :P

Offline Ganja

« Reply #21 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:27:56 PM »
No, better.
A banner is more like this:
http://www.webestools.com/signatures-maker-forum-phpbb-sig-generator-images-banner-signature-online-photoshop.html

As I see it should have the following information:
AA2
25Asisst
http://aao25.com
Perhaps the playername.

I gave it a quick try hehe, it's pretty simple.
There should be a word (verb) linking 25Assist to Americas Army 2.5.
And there might be too much empty space

I'm doing this for fun, maybe I'll give someone an idea to make a better one :)

And as icon it would be pretty badass to merge these too:

« Last Edit: Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:52:58 PM by Ganja »

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:49:35 PM »
Even after everything I've been involved in to make AA2 in the minds of the players over at AAPG, there is still people that don't know that AA2 still exist in the form of 25Assist.

One way we could add awareness, would to voluntary use a banner that advertised http://aao25.com as a signature over at AAPG forum, or even perhaps as a steam icon(I don't know if that is possible).

What I say is that we might need some "official" banners to be used.

You did talk to about a icon eliz so this was the icon :)

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 16:17:05 PM »
@august: I'm glad that someone finally took the initiative ...

As for the name / banner: should be easily recognizable and readable at the same time. Furthermore, acronym CM (Client Manager) should be a good addition.
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #24 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 16:26:25 PM »
Old players and AA veterans such as myself understand what Assist is, however new players and those that have not touched AA since 2007-2008 may not.
IMHO even that is not really true. Years back when AA was at it's highest, there was no Assist and even when there was later on, it wasn't mandatory.

t section. What are the basics that we should cover? Should we have a history or should it just be straight to the point?

I believe the first thing the "About Assist" section should have is what Assist is and what it does.
It's good that on the opening page on aao25.com we have "Assist. America's Army community", it tells people what it's all about, but the About page should firstly say what Assist is used for, how it helps to authenticate users, keep track of points (mentioned Battletracker here would be neccessary at this point), helps protect against cheaters and the likes.

Then further down the page, I would imagine could be a history section with a bit more information about what it grew from and what it has grown into along with release dates and potentially major release notes (where applicable).

I've actually brought this up before I believe, and last time I searched for the video review of the site, but I couldn't find it. I know somebody had some youtuber (or something) evaluate our page (I believe it was quite soon after the new layout was released) and then the link was posted here. The guy liked the overall look of it if I remember correctly, but his main problem was that he didn't get what it was all about. He was just guessing that it's about some FPS game.

Just my ?0.02
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 16:56:22 PM »
I did juse to a part of Announcement from ! march but is this ok.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #26 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 17:27:04 PM »
I'll come up with a few promotional banners.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 21:03:12 PM »
To Spanky

-I can take care of Raptr. I use it daily
-cant do Steam as I am not on there that much
-for the about section, I see it as 2 tabs. 1 tab a short about, 2nd tab full history of Assist
----------------------
I love the graphics I am seeing. I will start using them.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #28 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 23:05:45 PM »
I love the graphics I am seeing. I will start using them.

I would suggest against doing that. There should be a unified feel, 'official' promotion material, if you will.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 23:06:59 PM »
Understood.
Personally I am not qualified to make graphics, so I will let someone else do it.  Also, check your email.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager