Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Community  (Read 25328 times)

Offline Bart!

Re: Community
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »
Bart, the idea of deleting private servers is not only to play other maps, this can be done already even WITH  private servers. It could be done to reduce power given to server admins.

Like Pit said, server admins have too much power. It is a fact.
If I want I can :
1) Make a server,
2) Join my server in the morning with a noob account (like raw does) so people join.
3) I put as map Bridge Crossing.
4) In the afternoon my server is full, that is certain, and then I can decide to ban one single player because he was killing me too much (happens with zibi, Im not saying hes clean or anything, dont go off topic, just an exemple)
5) The player is fucked, because there is only one server on bridge crossing. He tries to fill up another server, but it doesn't work. The guy only likes bridge crossing (again, it's his right, for exemple Eliz)
6) Next day I do the same
7) The guy stops playing AA because he was banned on 1 server by a retard server admin who was happy he finally had some powers in life.

Hope it is clear now
I know the problem, I know it's annoying that server admins handle that way, but taking away all of their servers is a solution which I think is worse. Even although I've always been opposed against open slot servers, weapon mod servers and mod servers in general.

Oh, and are we getting official tournament servers for matches all the time? How about the israelian players? And what about people in other countries where we can't just get official servers from.

A solution would be to have donators section for these servers. But do you think many will keep donating for it?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 09:01:30 AM by Bart! »

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
The only thing we can and should do is to make it more attractive to play on other servers/maps. We should not dictate people what to do and what not, we are not parents of children playing this game.

[/--/]

The only thing we should and will do, is to encourage others to play a different way, but enforcing them to do everything different is something I personally can not and will not do.

I remember when you got a lot of points for playing mAAp Square. I remember SWISS playing a lot on it (mostly for the points I guess).

I'm not saying this is the way to go, but it's a way to go.

And I'm pretty sure Square had such high score points by accident (especially the fact that you got the score even if you were alone on the server), but it's still something that could be done with a few easy (I would think) map edits (only point-wise).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
but to be honest ganja, there is not really a big jump to make for filling up a server. tell me a map and I will show you this evening how it works. even with non members.

but you have to wait - maybe 30-40 minutes (and most are not willing to do so, that's the problem, not the one of the server admins). and then you don't have to kill the player as fast as you can. that's the way it almost every time worked for me to fill a server with any map.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 09:09:01 AM »
And I'm pretty sure Square had such high score points by accident (especially the fact that you got the score even if you were alone on the server

this is right teddy. some of you may remember that it was me who did report this error - getting points without another player. unfortunately the point cutting system for force class was implemented then after a while and we stopped playing this map - only with sf guns it was fun.

but in the last 8 weeks we played this map also about 3-4 times at least. just to give other players the change to look at this wonderful map (thank to Spanky).

Offline Ganja

« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »
I know the problem, I know it's annoying that server admins handle that way, but taking away all of their servers is a solution which I think is worse. Even although I've always been opposed against open slot servers, weapon mod servers and mod servers in general.

Oh, and are we getting official tournament servers for matches all the time? How about the israelian players? And what about people in other countries where we can't just get official servers from.

A solution would be to have donators section for these servers. But do you think many will keep donating for it?

Like I said, don't delete all of them, but we could moderate the shit out of them. Like server claims, explaining why you want to make another server on hospital while there is already one, to see what people actually answer

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
sorry to say ganja, but I still believe in a free world :)
already to many restrictions on this planet, no need for one more.

Offline Saltuarius

« Reply #66 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »
So let me put some suggestions in the direction the discussion was heading to. I think that more control from above is needed, but not to much.

-  next to official servers, devs could certify private servers to official ones, if
            - there is a good and strong admin moderation
         - server is respected by the community
       - no more than 2 servers of a party
       - follow an official ruleset by the devs

- only official und certified servers should be tracked

- in the ruleset only these map-rotations are allowed:

1. SF Hospital - SF CSAR
       2. Bridge Crossing - Mountain Pass
       3. Pipeline - Pipeline SF - Insurgent Camp
       4. Urban Assault - Collapsed Tunnel - MMK
       5. SF Extraction - SF Courtyard - SF Oasis
       6. Weapons Cache - WC SE - Dusk
       7. SF Dockside - SF Sandstorm - SF PCR - SF Blizzard
       8. SF Village - SF Arctic - SF Taiga - SF Water Treatment
        9. Headquaters Raid - JRTC Farm - Swamp Raid
      10. Mountain Ambush - River Basin - Woodland Outpost
      11. SF Recon - Radio Tower - Mountain Pass SE - Bridge SE
      12. 285 - Maps
      13. AA3 - Maps
      14. Maap
        I tried to make the groups small and similar playing style, so it is not that hard for all
        hospital  and bridge-junkies. ppl, that play regularly one map of a group, often also play 
        the others. nothing is absolute, other solutions are also possible...

- in the ruleset a few more things should be implemented like
   - first person view only for all official and certified/tracked servers
   - global banlist
   - only allow to play the maps classic style

some other suggestions for the project:
- implement a rewarding system for playing different maps with icons (like donator-icon), similar to the tracker-rankingsystem
- implement aa-watcher into assist for more playing-convenience and less afk

« Last Edit: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 05:39:23 AM by Saltuarius »

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #67 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
I do completely disagree with all this.

I try to explain again:
- you all do say only few maps are played - you are right
- you would like to play on more different maps - we do try to get this with effort
- you would like to cut servers and put them under others control - this is in conflict with above

we have about 98 maps available at the moment. and some clans like PUF or mine do try to set servers for maps that are not selectable. by map vote, by setting the servers with that map.

some clans try only to fill up own servers. that's a fact and should be like it is. why? -  because of the region the servers are running. some servers like mine do have no good connections to Portugal and other countries, also a fact. but we have good connections to the eastern part of Europe. so let the players choose where to connect. this is still a free world. any restrictions would generate bad results, there I am really sure about.

on the other hand, every playable map should be selectable. with only 30 servers this would be hardly possible - and only for a few players good. so let it bee like it is, even when more servers are generated. and as I did say again, aa4pg has around 410 servers with only 40 official servers. and the most played on are not officials severs. also a fact.

so why should we change a game philosophy done by the game developer?

but a really good thing would be - like in aa4pg - making maps by your own, downloadable from somewhere (not by this community). something like this would grow up this game, not to cut running servers.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 10:32:41 AM by [SWISS]Merlin »

Offline Bart!

« Reply #68 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 10:43:16 AM »
I really like that PUF server is on border for example, but the reason I do not play it, is because it is on sf mod.

I like m16 more, especially on the distance maps.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #69 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »
ok. but for everybody possible to catch a map vote server without any changes and set it to border.
or - if available by default - to choose another server with border map running.

and this is the thing i really like on all aa games. you can choose by yourself.

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #70 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
Hackers like you destroy the game pit, don't point at me if its you to blaim.

Of course I'm not going to argue that hacking is something good for a game. I will just note, that in case of AA2, hackers were never the major issue. There are other things that are a much bigger threat to the survival of this game.

Also funny that you banned me with no proof for a flashhack; remember? You had the power,  and you abused them to the max! So funny when you talk about admin abuse...

I had a good reason to ban you, the "flash-immunity" of your was observed by many people at that time.

Regarding the "no proof" thing. One of the people that I banned using this way was uber-hacker Hertz, so I consider this as success of this approach.

And about ur serious note, i do the same as you, only i know how to do it and kill without the use of any programs.
And you was for sure really frustrated all this time of that i and the rest who killed you, otherwise you didnt do what you did, so you can stop the mumbling about that.
Facts are there, ur just a bad loser.

I'm really not into your "im pro, you suck" childish argument, so I won't even reply to that. Will mention only that such attitude is one of the major problems in this game.

Therefore : Time has come for Assist to retake control of the whole fucking project
as if the army had just launched version 1.0 of the game

Your comments are quite good, although I think such drastic measures are not necessary. All it takes is just assist starts to be interested in server admins behaviour _at all_.

And I don't think any server admin would donate to assist instead of renting his server. They don't rent just do increase the servers count. They do it to have the power and control over something.

Uber-centralization is never a good thing. Control hierarchy should have a form of some tree based on trust relationship.

Just look at how linux kernel development works. You have dictator, then generals, then lieutenants, etc. It all works almost perfectly, concerning project of that size.

To sum up: servers don't have to be centralized. All we need is some more control over how their admins behave. Simply write another EULA for server owners. EULA that would say that server admin is not god, but has to adhere to overall assist rules how servers shall be run.

So at #1, I don't see any reason for you to disagree on your ban in that case.

I never disagreed. Can you try to read more carefully next time?

Like Pit said, server admins have too much power. It is a fact.

Glad to see someone actually thinking and judging arguments by their merit, and not by the authors nick.

This has already been tried over and over again, for example so much energy has been put
by some into mAAp. Today it's barely been played.

Correct. You could also mention AA3 maps in the same sentence.

Offline rmcdzk

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 15:22:12 PM »
Pit... I remember you as the most predictable player I've ever encountered in this game. Thousands of hours, one map, one side, one tactic, same spots combined with mediorce aim. 

It doesn't really make you the man who can tell whos hacking or not. What I've seen you used your hacks mostly just against normal players you didn't like or just had imaginary thought they use something. I remember that you also hacked against me and tidididi for some reasons I don't know...you stalked me for some time like a 10yo kid, whatever I don't care. Your crusade was so dumb, man..., really. It didn't do anything good at all for this game. Real hackers come and go. For this game hacking was never an issue. 

Btw. I'm amazed why guy who sometimes looks for inteligent man comes up with such dumb behaviour. You can all answer to yourself why... ;)

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #72 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 17:49:58 PM »
Server admins have enough power, find another server to play or get ppl to play with you wherever you want or feel good to be in. a Server is like a House, and it has its owner, you only should do what the owner allow you to do, other wise he will kick your ass out of his house (heh, see my avatar :P), its a deal with ppl, not with Assist it self.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 17:52:19 PM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #73 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 23:13:47 PM »
Pit... I remember you as the most predictable player I've ever encountered in this game. Thousands of hours, one map, one side, one tactic, same spots combined with mediorce aim. 

Here we go, another "i'm pro, you suck" attitude. Let's see were that goes.

It doesn't really make you the man who can tell whos hacking or not. What I've seen you used your hacks mostly just against normal players you didn't like or just had imaginary thought they use something.

Again, look up my previous statements. The number and significance of those i went after this way, far more outweighs the innocents that got hit by that.

I remember that you also hacked against me and tidididi for some reasons I don't know...you stalked me for some time like a 10yo kid, whatever I don't care. Your crusade was so dumb, man..., really. It didn't do anything good at all for this game.

As for you and tidi... Well... I strongly believe that someone beating up asses of such "pros" like you (exploiting sound to the max, ghosting, etc.) is very healthy for the overall game. It's a leveling thing.

Real hackers come and go. For this game hacking was never an issue. 

Thats where we agree.

Btw. I'm amazed why guy who sometimes looks for inteligent man comes up with such dumb behaviour. You can all answer to yourself why... ;)

Here you have your answer: my intelligent looks are just an illusion. I'm just dumb all the way.

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #74 on: Saturday, May 03, 2014, 23:15:52 PM »
Server admins have enough power, find another server to play or get ppl to play with you wherever you want or feel good to be in. a Server is like a House, and it has its owner, you only should do what the owner allow you to do, other wise he will kick your ass out of his house (heh, see my avatar :P), its a deal with ppl, not with Assist it self.

You just proven that you don't understand the issue that is discussed here.

It's like saying: you can't do anything about anyone who has power, you just have to agree with him kicking you ass, whether it's just or not.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager