Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: assist overlay  (Read 3390 times)

Offline soupcakes

• no soup for 4 U!
    • View Profile
  • AA: soul
assist overlay
« on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 23:16:19 PM »
hey, just had an idea, not sure if its worth anybodys time or not, but here it goes.

what if you made assist an overlay for aa25 that can be a hotkey, or maybe made the ingame deployment button the hotkey to run the overlay over the old server browser.... would allow to join ingame, vs closing and reopening to go to other servers (without typin open xxx.xx.xx.x)

its not a big deal, im happy either way with or without, was just one minor step to bring aao back to where it was imo.

thanks for reading

You gotta have a nuclear soul
To melt down all your sorrowful load
And you gotta have a mercury soul
To weigh down any glimmer of gold

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: assist overlay
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 23:19:01 PM »
It can't happen because Assist does account authentication communication before the game is launched (and thus every time you join a server). We could do this if we had the 2.5 source and knew more about UScript but unfortunately, we don't. Now, another solution would be to see if RealBasic has a way to hook DirectX for an overlay like Steam but I imagine that would be a lot of coding and even if it were possible, it would be Windows only.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline soupcakes

• no soup for 4 U!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 23:25:21 PM »
gotcha, ya originally had in mind somethin similar to steam... and ya, forgot about have to make it for mac n linux other, my bad. thanks for your input thou, i know nothing about coding, i r noob.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 23:26:59 PM »
You can do research and see if there's a DirectX overlay or something for RealBasic programs then it might be possible...

Offline soupcakes

• no soup for 4 U!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 04:00:59 AM »
well i googled it, and im not even sure if what i found is anything of relevance... so uhh, think im in over my head, was just an idea, thanks thou.

Offline soupcakes

• no soup for 4 U!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 04:07:24 AM »

its not a big deal, im happy either way with or without, was just one minor step to bring aao back to where it was imo.

thanks for reading

Offline soupcakes

• no soup for 4 U!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 13:37:38 PM »
so its because typing quit and picking a server in assist isnt 'americas army' enough.

I guess we all have our reasons, and by no means do they have to be sensible and intelligent.

I never once said the way it is is hard or inconvenient to type quit and pick another sever. I also never said it was a big deal or that it the way it is isnt 'americas army enough for me'. Do you have nothing better to say (or DO for that matter), so you put words in my mouth? You clearly are the one that trolls these forums without anything sensible or intelligent to say.

it was just a suggestion, for something later down the line, never once said, 'this needs to be done or im out, cuz its not aao enough' your making a mountain out of an ant hill. never even said i want to see in the next update, or the next 10..... Really, I just thought it would be more convenient for people, not a necessity, but especially convenient  for new players.

and sorry, i usually dont like to flame or bash, but in your case, i just gotta ask, are your parents cousins or something skrewup?

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 13:51:37 PM by soupcakes »

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 14:02:58 PM »
Yeah, I would also like this, but it's just like SPANKY said...

It would need a very deep change in the game script. Also If if you use too much C++ crap, it would probably lead to a lot more errors.
Keep Cool

Jonnym

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 14:06:00 PM »
Actually i think the server browser works on U-scipt, If we had those sources it would not be a major drama to do this. But we don't.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 14:07:09 PM »
I find the current Assist layout much cleaner the original AA 2.5 one. For the matter, i don't even think it's a priority to do this particular kind of thing.

I never once said the way it is is hard or inconvenient to type quit and pick another sever. I also never said it was a big deal or that it the way it is isnt 'americas army enough for me'. Do you have nothing better to say (or DO for that matter), so you put words in my mouth? You clearly are the one that trolls these forums without anything sensible or intelligent to say.

it was just a suggestion, for something later down the line, never once said, 'this needs to be done or im out, cuz its not aao enough' your making a mountain out of an ant hill. never even said i want to see in the next update, or the next 10..... Really, I just thought it would be more convenient for people, not a necessity, but especially convenient  for new players.

and sorry, i usually dont like to flame or bash, but in your case, i just gotta ask, are your parents cousins or something skrewup?

Ignore the parts where he results "less interesting" to read, so to say, i wouldn't either put a fight with Skrewy if you want my 2cents :)

Btw Skrewy, there are faggots like me who like to play windowed because it lets you make different thing without tabbing out and it's practical if you need to test things or just want something else other than a game window on your desktop. I actually even never use the console for connecting to Assist based servers because i prefer to keep the bare Assist only open.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 14:13:41 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 15:52:21 PM »
Actually i think the server browser works on U-scipt, If we had those sources it would not be a major drama to do this. But we don't.

I just looked to see if I could decompile the AGP_Interface in the 2.4.1 editor to see if you could use it at all but there isn't one! Odd how the devs did things...

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 15:56:27 PM »
lol Spanky, don't forget they did a different interface for E3. It's ACL_Interface.

But you could try to use UTPT, to try and get some classes decompiled from AGP_Interface. UTPT does decompile some stuff. Sometimes you can only view source for functions, sometimes you get lucky and you get the whole class.

Jonnym

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 16:01:45 PM »
Even then what you get from it would never be complete enough to compile a new package with.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 16:03:06 PM »
Well there's a lot of UI stuff that isn't necessary like the training, login and credits.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 16:04:31 PM »
Even then, since it's object oriented if someone knows what they're doing you can just subclass whatever you want in a different u file and redo whatever. All you need is to know the classes and some variables/functions of the major classes.

No need to recompile an existing u file.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager