Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AntiPoke Update  (Read 10415 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: AntiPoke Update
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »
Spanky, health is shown in four states: Green, Yellow, Red and Dead, bleeding is shown in binary logic. Only medic can see how much you are bleeding.
It's basic math to figure out the percentage from green, yellow and red. Please tell me I'm not the only one to have figured this out...

@Spanky
I really appreciate all the hard work you all have spent to the Assist.
But in all you try you make one big misapprehension:

It is not all the "cool and unique content" which will make this game attractive but quite the opposite.
It was the plainness which brought success to this game!
This was what made the difference to all the ordinary-fun-shooter.
If you like the plainness, that's cool. The problem is, new players don't. When we try to make interesting content, it's about getting people excited for AA. You can't get people excited by saying "there's a full Pipeline server".
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Rob_LD

« Reply #76 on: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
If you like the plainness, that's cool. The problem is, new players don't. When we try to make interesting content, it's about getting people excited for AA. You can't get people excited by saying "there's a full Pipeline server".

And therefore you are adding features to an 8 year old game which are standard in today's video games?
The achievement will be that this game get lost in the crowd.

I promise you won't attract any of the other players cause they have the same features in new shooters with superior graphics and sound.

But be sure to scare away a lot of those who played this game for what it was...
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 12:10:39 PM by Rob_LD »

Offline Bart!

« Reply #77 on: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
Sorry it's such an inconvenience when we try to add cool and unique content to an old game in order to keep it alive and interesting.

Health (along with bleeding) is already shown in the HUD... You should probably pay more attention in-game instead of focusing on listening for footsteps. I don't give a shit about competitive matches. The people that are into that are idiots. Taking a free, old, fun game and making it all serious... stupid. AA will stay unique since nobody here will change the gamplay dynamics like running speed, fire rate, weapon damage, animation times. All the stuff that REALLY makes AA unique. Plus, I believe Possessed already made it a true/false thing so you can easily disable it if you want.
Saying that all I do in game is listening to footsteps is very narrow-minded, and you should know that, you appear to be that kind of person who thinks he knows exactly what's going on, and I agree, you do know a lot, but you obviously don't know everything. Which isn't bad. As I do not know everything either. But I will never talk like that to others. There are many factors influencing what makes a player good, what makes a player competitive. There are many players who have sound, hear everything, but they can not think tactical and they do not know what to do, neither do they know the aspect of covering each other, distracting others, wasting time for others in order to take objectives and a lot more than that. It's playing the game in a different style with a different mindset, which appears to be too serious, but it is another kind of fun.

Same with real lfie sports, people are being competitive there as well, wasting a lot of time, but they still find it worth it for some reason.

That being said, it all depends on the mentality of the people. I like it a lot because you actually play together with the team, communicate and you can depend on the others while playing. I don't like games like CoD because it's just free for all or run and gun and respawn.

Furthermore about the health: I don't want it to be an own choice to disable it, and clearly you have no clue at all what I meant.

I was not talking about if competitive players are idiots or not (in fact i disagree because competitive gaming usually makes a game a lot more popular, examples are in cs:go, but I don't need to explain it here).

The main problem is that people now know exactly at what moment they will TURN yellow, TURN red or become death, instead of being yellow while bleeding (but for how much? 34 or 65%), or being red with 1% or 33%. These are in fact major differences which will influence what people do.

For example in matches:

I'm red: I take obj quick or I take cover so they are uncertain and won't push

now: I'm red and I will bleed out but I got just enough time to take obj, so I will keep taking it no matter if an enemy gets really close
or: I'm red and I can see I will bleed out soon so I will waste all my nades on random spots and rush as hard as I can.

The last decision will only be made if you are certain to bleed out. With this new feature you will be certain of this if the medic isn't close.

The uncertainty about that is pretty much gone, which actually made the game a bit more challenging. THAT is why I don't like it. I don't mind if I can disable it, I want it to be gone like it used to be.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 12:18:25 PM by Bart! »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 15:05:12 PM »
And therefore you are adding features to an 8 year old game which are standard in today's video games?
The achievement will be that this game get lost in the crowd.

I promise you won't attract any of the other players cause they have the same features in new shooters with superior graphics and sound.

But be sure to scare away a lot of those who played this game for what it was...

There's a reason why AA 2.5 peaks out at 250 players on a good day and why there's tens/hundreds of thousands on a Battlefield/Call of Duty game. Hell, there are MORE players on the Battlefield 2 DEMO (one map) than there are on AA 2.5. Things progress and people appreciate these more popular features. ARMA is made for realism and has a ton of the typical features found in modern shooters.

Now, I'm the first to appreciate real players and tell the Halo kids to fuck off but at the same time, AA is ancient and it gets dull very quickly. I loved AA but I stopped playing because the same people were on the same maps with the same tactics and after 2 rounds, it gets predictable and boring. That's why people are always leaving and joining servers. They're looking for something fun and unique. Hell, I think that's a big drawing point of the Battlefield series. You can't guess where someone is going to spawn or how they're going to attack you.

I'm not saying that I would like to turn AA into a Battlefield clone. When I was doing map stuff, I was just trying to do things that hadn't been done in AA to change the gameplay style and break up typical tactics. That's the beauty of a map. You have the same weapon and player dynamics but tactics change.

@Bart: There's a lot of good stuff in your post and first, I applaud you for posting intelligently instead of flaming. That's a pretty rare thing on here these days. It was narrow-minded of me to say that you sound camp. I said it just for lulz though :) I doubt I've played with you so how would I know what kind of player you are.

There's one thing I do enjoy in a game; teamwork. However, all that clan and competitive shit takes it too far in my opinion. Some of the best times I've had in shooter games were ones where my team rallied together and was able to hold ground against an enemy. Not completely destroy the enemy and not every man for himself. I like an even-balanced match with teamwork. There has to be give and take on the digital battlefield and that is very hard to come across. I'm a picky son of a bitch and that's a good reason why I don't play multiplayer shooters anymore. I don't know what my point is with all of this but I'll still always hate on competitive players for being so serious and drooling over prizes and LAN fests.

Back to a point that actually matters; the mod. I don't see how it could make such a huge difference between 34% and 65% health and knowing where you are on that scale. I can agree where if you KNOW how much % you bleed and if you know you're going to bleed to death, you might camp more. But that's really the only scenario. Beyond that, if you're yellow, you're still going to be cautious. With all that said though, a headshot can still kill you if you're red, or green. I think it's just a neat tidbit of info to have displayed. Although, I'll admit I don't like the way it's displayed. Less text = better and Possessed doesn't exactly have the best English :)

The biggest point of why I'm posting here should be obvious. I want to defend Possessed because he did what I and others have done and he got the same response that we all have gotten. We put effort into creating something we thought would be great and everybody hates it. There is no pleasing the AA community. We have all this talent together but if we try and do something, the flamers start registering and our hard work gets wasted. If the AA community were more open-minded and could actually rally together and vote on improvements, this game would be so much better off. We have total control of the game and it's killing us just to sit here idle and do nothing with it. That's my point.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 15:08:05 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 15:27:19 PM »
Its hard to led every buddy understand but you can, if not they have to open ther eyes! :censored:

There's a reason why AA 2.5 peaks out at 250 players on a good day and why there's tens/hundreds of thousands on a Battlefield/Call of Duty game. Hell, there are MORE players on the Battlefield 2 DEMO (one map) than there are on AA 2.5. Things progress and people appreciate these more popular features. ARMA is made for realism and has a ton of the typical features found in modern shooters.

Now, I'm the first to appreciate real players and tell the Halo kids to fuck off but at the same time, AA is ancient and it gets dull very quickly. I loved AA but I stopped playing because the same people were on the same maps with the same tactics and after 2 rounds, it gets predictable and boring. That's why people are always leaving and joining servers. They're looking for something fun and unique. Hell, I think that's a big drawing point of the Battlefield series. You can't guess where someone is going to spawn or how they're going to attack you.

I'm not saying that I would like to turn AA into a Battlefield clone. When I was doing map stuff, I was just trying to do things that hadn't been done in AA to change the gameplay style and break up typical tactics. That's the beauty of a map. You have the same weapon and player dynamics but tactics change.

@Bart: There's a lot of good stuff in your post and first, I applaud you for posting intelligently instead of flaming. That's a pretty rare thing on here these days. It was narrow-minded of me to say that you sound camp. I said it just for lulz though :) I doubt I've played with you so how would I know what kind of player you are.

There's one thing I do enjoy in a game; teamwork. However, all that clan and competitive shit takes it too far in my opinion. Some of the best times I've had in shooter games were ones where my team rallied together and was able to hold ground against an enemy. Not completely destroy the enemy and not every man for himself. I like an even-balanced match with teamwork. There has to be give and take on the digital battlefield and that is very hard to come across. I'm a picky son of a bitch and that's a good reason why I don't play multiplayer shooters anymore. I don't know what my point is with all of this but I'll still always hate on competitive players for being so serious and drooling over prizes and LAN fests.

Back to a point that actually matters; the mod. I don't see how it could make such a huge difference between 34% and 65% health and knowing where you are on that scale. I can agree where if you KNOW how much % you bleed and if you know you're going to bleed to death, you might camp more. But that's really the only scenario. Beyond that, if you're yellow, you're still going to be cautious. With all that said though, a headshot can still kill you if you're red, or green. I think it's just a neat tidbit of info to have displayed. Although, I'll admit I don't like the way it's displayed. Less text = better and Possessed doesn't exactly have the best English :)

The biggest point of why I'm posting here should be obvious. I want to defend Possessed because he did what I and others have done and he got the same response that we all have gotten. We put effort into creating something we thought would be great and everybody hates it. There is no pleasing the AA community. We have all this talent together but if we try and do something, the flamers start registering and our hard work gets wasted. If the AA community were more open-minded and could actually rally together and vote on improvements, this game would be so much better off. We have total control of the game and it's killing us just to sit here idle and do nothing with it. That's my point.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager