Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA2.5 Assist ReadME  (Read 83427 times)

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: AA2.5 Assist ReadME
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, January 03, 2015, 06:31:40 AM »
Hellreiser, your first post is simply uncomprehensible. I don't know whether you used google translate or something, but it doesn't make any sense.

I'm willing to bet most of your problems stem from your 3G network. At least here in Estonia neither the 3G nor 4G networks are too stable. That's probably the reason the downloads are failing.

If the download fails, you can cancel it and start Assist again. It will usually continue where it left off. It it doesn't, then press the "Reset + Repair AA" button on Assist's Install tab. Then it will download the missing pieces.

And if the 3G connection is the culprit, I'm afraid you won't have too stable a game experience either.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline H3llr3is3r

« Reply #31 on: Saturday, January 03, 2015, 19:47:19 PM »
I can tell you spanky i dont care if you ban me, this will change nothing on the fact that you`re an asshole. Yep bigger then me. You are also insulting, original manual does not contains that information that in "25Assist" folder the game folder must be named "armyops". I found out myself way before my third post. So i am insulting you because i found out that something is missing in your allround manual, and i dared to ask you in a style as you talk to others? Sure, go ahead and ban, this will not change on the fact how big asshole you are.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, January 03, 2015, 20:11:10 PM »
You're just getting what you're giving, hopefully you'll look in a mirror and realize that.

The fact that the 'armyops' folder isn't mentioned in our 'manual' doesn't mean anything. You're the first user ever to ask about manually copying an existing vanilla 2.5 install into an Assist install because the 'FIND' function didn't work for you. You're the first out of thousands of users to want to know this information and you figured it out anyway. Why do we need to clog up the FAQ with information that won't apply to the majority of users?

I'm not going to ban you, I'm just getting my point across that you came here with a shitty attitude and demanded help, that's not a good way to get what you want.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, January 04, 2015, 04:02:47 AM »
I can tell you spanky i dont care if you ban me, this will change nothing on the fact that you`re an asshole. Yep bigger then me. You are also insulting, original manual does not contains that information that in "25Assist" folder the game folder must be named "armyops". I found out myself way before my third post. So i am insulting you because i found out that something is missing in your allround manual, and i dared to ask you in a style as you talk to others? Sure, go ahead and ban, this will not change on the fact how big asshole you are.
Like he said himself, he only answered you with the same tone you asked the question in.

You have got to understand that since the US army dropped official support for this game more than 3 years ago, we are running this game from the kindness of our hearts. We're doing this as volunteer work. We don't get paid to do this. And this means not everything is always perfect. However, this also means you and hundreds of other people are still able to play AA 2.5.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline H3llr3is3r

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, January 04, 2015, 17:05:27 PM »
Then just to summarize my points:
-if you played this 3 years ago, you can have "vanilla" America`s Army install kit
-3 years ago i stopped at version 2.8.4
-by far that is not 2.5 and was usually installed in other folder then "armyops"
-before my first post i read some posts here (after reading the "readme") in the "readme" forum, which has given me the hint what tone i have to use
-at the moment for me still not works, yeah the update patch destroys the existing install as expected (no worries for this).
-most possibly not the "instability" of my internet connection is the problems source for update failure as i can do anything else without any major problem
- as i noticed before, using the find button could be more effective, in a way than creating the 25Assist folder with armyops subfolder
-no offense on armyops, but install kit can be downloaded from other places, and most nowadays programs has the flexibility
-changes can be also stored on existing settings.dat file, as anyway is created, and used for storage
-settings file is unencrypted, even without weakest possible encryption
-the download has no ability to continue, as a download manager, if needed wget is also a sourceforge project and supports retries and continue
-speed limiter also would be handy option on download as well as peer to peer connection options

As you can see i just noticed just a handful things about Assist, without calling someone asshole. Browsers support download managers from `98, other settings from even earlier.
Whatever connection you have, it is always good to don`t download twice what you can do once. Its a rule of really old times when bandwidth was a serious problem, and as nowadays still happens like connection instabilities.
Is it better now?

Second, in this world nothing is free, nor a server or more servers. Someone pays the bill.
When peoples behaves like a community, mostly you will not find some of them that whatever they did they are over the others. Disrespect is disrespect. As i read trough this pages, not really long pages, this is what i found, whoever wrote it, so i addressed him the same way.
That is all. At the moment this project is a dead weight and dropped, for me.
Good luck with it.

P.S.: Anyone who have good sense on IT, mostly will not use the default install drive for games. As written in the "readme", first you start the program as administrator to create some files. In the same way when you start first time the program could read install locations from registry. Some installers by default use the partition\games\ folder structure, i think with a reason. Operating system drives at least for Windows needs a lot of work space for the operating system, so should be not filled over 2/3 of the size.  After windows Vista recommended partition size for windows is 100 Gb, but not to fill with games. It is for windows, installed work programs, system recoveries, etc. This not changed with Windows 7 and 8 or 8.1. Remains the same with Windows 10. You can use smaller but nothing will be comparable with "Xp" anymore.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, January 04, 2015, 17:25:18 PM »
Your English is difficult to understand and I think that's part of the problem.

Then just to summarize my points:
-if you played this 3 years ago, you can have "vanilla" America`s Army install kit
-3 years ago i stopped at version 2.8.4
-by far that is not 2.5 and was usually installed in other folder then "armyops"
You cannot use 2.8.x or any version other than 2.5 for the "FIND" function. Well, you can, but it will cause all kinds of problems (maybe that's why you've run into so many?) and Assist will have to re-download the whole game anyway.

-before my first post i read some posts here (after reading the "readme") in the "readme" forum, which has given me the hint what tone i have to use
-at the moment for me still not works, yeah the update patch destroys the existing install as expected (no worries for this).
I have no idea what you mean by this.

-most possibly not the "instability" of my internet connection is the problems source for update failure as i can do anything else without any major problem
Your internet may not be the problem, I agree. The problem could be the Sourceforge mirror you're connected to. There's been other users that have had issues downloading/updating.

- as i noticed before, using the find button could be more effective, in a way than creating the 25Assist folder with armyops subfolder
The "FIND" function in Assist has been around a long time and we have tested it, it works. It simply copies the contents of the folder over.

-no offense on armyops, but install kit can be downloaded from other places, and most nowadays programs has the flexibility
-changes can be also stored on existing settings.dat file, as anyway is created, and used for storage

-settings file is unencrypted, even without weakest possible encryption
Why would it need to be encrypted?

-the download has no ability to continue, as a download manager, if needed wget is also a sourceforge project and supports retries and continue
-speed limiter also would be handy option on download as well as peer to peer connection options
Most of the updates are per-file and they happen very fast. They're usually under 10mb a piece, sometimes down to 1 or 2mb. Even on dial-up, there's no need to resume a download. To be fair, I do remember some updates, especially the first ones (if you're coming from a vanilla install), are pretty large. Again, this would be more of a problem with your internet connection and/or the Sourceforge mirror you're connected to. A speed limiter would be a good idea, as would P2P. Somebody has to code it though and adding P2P support would be a pretty big undertaking, something that isn't warranted for the small user base we have.

Second, in this world nothing is free, nor a server or more servers. Someone pays the bill.
When peoples behaves like a community, mostly you will not find some of them that whatever they did they are over the others. Disrespect is disrespect. As i read trough this pages, not really long pages, this is what i found, whoever wrote it, so i addressed him the same way.
The problem is, you addressed the whole community with a shitty attitude in your first post. You weren't directing it towards anyone specifically. You started with the bad attitude.

I'm not above helping you if you truly want it. In writing this post and thinking of a way to help you, I think one thing we should do is zip up the current Assist installation as a whole and host it for a single download on this site. That way people don't have to go through the headache of many updates from a vanilla install. H3llr3is3r, if that's something you would like, I will do it.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, January 04, 2015, 17:44:20 PM »
I think what he meant was the fact that you can get AA from other sources.

If that is what he meant, he is correct. However, he obviously doesn't know that Assist is the only way to play the game (AA2) against other actual people.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager