Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA2.5 Assist ReadME  (Read 83455 times)

Jonnym

AA2.5 Assist ReadME
« on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 06:39:10 AM »
If you can think of anything that needs adding to this file post in this thread. Also can someone on the Sourceforge project add this to the aa25.org website for me? Link to location aa25.org/Data/readme.txt

2.5 ASSIST README, HELP AND GENERAL DOCUMENTAION:
-------------------------------------------------

----------------
COMMON PROBLEMS:

----------------
PROBLEM: 'PUNKBUSTER SERVICE INITIALIZATION' I have Windows Vista or Windows 7 and when joining a game I get kicked back out again by punkbuster with the message Punkbuser service initialization error?

SOLUTION: When you first play on Vista or Win 7 you must run 2.5Assist "As Administrator" so that the game can load the punkbuster service. To do this right click on the 25Assist icon and click "run as administrator" then join a game and wait for it to say Punkbuster service successfully loaded, You may now go back to playing as normal.

----------------
PROBLEM: 'PUNKBUSTER SERVICE COMMUNICATION' When join a server i get kick out again with error 'restriction: service communication failure: PnkBstrA.exe'

SOLUTION: Click on 'Fix PB' on the SITREP screen then click re-install services and then Test. This will solve your problem.
----------------

PROBLEM: 'RUNTIME ERROR 7300, DOES NOT START'

SOLUTION: You MUST have the '25Assist Libs' folder in the same place as your '25Assist.exe', Unzip both the 25Assist.exe and the 25Assist Libs Folder and put them both on your desktop, Then run 25Assist.exe from the desktop.
----------------

PROBLEM: 'SERVER PORTS' I am trying to run a server and I have opened the ports on my router but it still says the ports are closed?

SOLUTION: It is possible your router does not support NAT loopback, To work around this Click 'Options' and tick the disable port testing to external IP option. But this will mean you will not be able to join your own server from the server list. You will need to use the Join button on the server.
----------------

PROBLEM: 'LOGGING IN ERROR, TIMEOUT' When i try and login i get timeout error waiting from responce from auth system.

SOLUTION: Login to battletracker.com, try changing your password first, goto 'my profile' - 'password', then try again. If this does not work also try changing your username 'my profile' - 'username' to something without any symbols in it. If this does not work try chaging your playername to something without symbols in it, goto 'my profile' then 'tracker settings' then change 'aa2 playername' makeing sure there are no spaces in the name. Also make sure you don't have a firewall or router that is blocking outgoing UDP connections.
----------------

PROBLEM: 'UNAUTHORISED LOGIN' When joining a server i get kicked out for Unauthorised login attempt.

SOLUTION: You must not close assist or logout from assist after you have joined a server, closing down assist removes your authorisation to play from the system. If this is not the cause then try chaging your AA Playername by logging into Battletracker.com and goto 'my profile' then 'tracker settings' then change 'aa2 playername'
----------------

PROBLEM: 'AUTHORIZATION SLOT CLOSED' I am getting kicked from servers for Authorization Slot Closed.

SOLUTION: The reason for this happening will be reported at the bottom of the assist window next to the donate button. This usually means that 2.5Assist is not running or has lost its connection to the master server, You must not close 2.5Assist while in a server because this is holding open your auth slot.
----------------

PROBLEM: 'WRONG HONOR' I have played on a server after auth went down and now battletracker has recorded my honor as 15.

SOLUTION: Submit an honor claim on the AA25.org forums. Someone there should be able to restore your honor.
----------------

PROBLEM: 'KICKED FOR FILE WHITELIST' I am getting kicked from servers for File Whitelist Violation.

SOLUTION: This means you have got file in your AA installtion that are not supposed to be there, You may have been messing with the files, copied a corrupted install or mixed up your 2.8.5 install with your 2.5 install, If you can't manually remove the offending files click Settings - Complete Re-Install to fix it.
----------------

PROBLEM: Everything is completely messed Up!

SOLUTION: If something has gone horribly wrong, Click the Settings tab in assist and then click 'Reset and Repair AA'
----------------

PROBLEM: KEEP GETTING KICKED FOR UNKNOWN WINDOWS API FUNCTION 131125

SOLUTION: People have reported that un-installing Bitdefender anti-virus solves this problem, That may also be other anti-virus packages that cause this error.
----------------

PROBLEM: "..\..\..\..\Common\plugin.cpp; 7458 Failure condition; plugin Entrytable"

SOLUTION: Your 25Assist Libs folder is missing. The libs folder comes in the zip file with 25Assist.exe must be kept together.
----------------

PROBLEM: Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY)

SOLUTION: You do not have enough video memory to run AA with the current settings, Click on the Settings tab in assist and choose windowed or fullscreen mode and set a lower resolution like 800x600 or 1024x768 and turn down the graphics detail to low.
----------------

PROBLEM: Cannot adjust brightness, gamma, contrast in-game

SOLUTION: If you are using Windows 8 select the 'Windows 8 Gamma' Option in the Assist Settings tab. If you are using XP,Vista or Win7 try choosing Fullscreen mode from the Assist Settings Tab.
----------------

PROBLEM: Keep getting Windows - No Disk errors while playing.

SOLUTION: Your PC is looking for a USB device - e.g. a USB stick or a cell phone - that you've recently plugged in and have removed without using the "remove hardware safely" option in the right hand bottom corner of your screen. Put the last USB device you used back into the USB port and then use the "remove software safely" option.

----------------
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
----------------
QUESTION: Where the hell does assist store the game system files and all its data?

ANSWER MAC-OSX: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/25Assist/
ANSWER LINUX: /home/USERNAME/25Assist/
ANSWER WINDOWS XP: C:\Documents and settings\USERNAME\Application Data\25Assist\
ANSWER WINDOWS VISTA/7: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\25Assist\
----------------
QUESTION: Can I change the location where assist stores the game and data files?

ANSWER: Yes, If you want assist to store its data somewhere else create a folder called '25Assist' in the same place as your 25Assist.exe (and 25Assist Libs) and it will see and use that folder instead of its usual one. You can also MOVE your exising 25Assist from the location mentioned above the the new location.
----------------
QUESTION: How do I edit/delete bans on my server?

ANSWER: Bans are located in armyops/System/BanList.txt. A special note about bans, Punkbuster and AA25 auth system bans are only held in ram, HackHunter bans are written to the BanList.txt file.

----------------
RUNNING SERVERS:
----------------
QUESTION: How can I manually edit the server configuration file and load mods etc...

ANSWER: All the server side config files are located in the 'server' folder which is in the assist home folder(location listed above)
aa25srv.ini is the server ini file
aa-pbsv.cfg, bd-pbsv.cfg and ma-pbsv.cfg are the punkbuster config files for 'Normal AA', 'Border and Dusk' and 'mAAp' server running modes. It uses a slightly different PB config for all 3 modes.
----------------
QUESTION: Where are the PunkBuster screenshots kept.

ANSWER: To view PB screenshots click the 'PBSS-Viewer' button on the server screen, If your prefer to view them manually they can be found in the Assist home folder (listed above) followed by /armyops/System/pb/svss/
----------------
QUESTION: What about ACI Banlists and Streaming to ACI.

ANSWER: ACI Are no longer interested in supporting this game, We have had to build a new system, The Banlists are not longer loaded onto your server but are loaded into the Assist Master Server, When players gets banned they cannot join ANY AA25 servers or even login to Assist. PB Restrictions, Violations and AA25 Violations are all streamed to the Assist Master Server by default where everyone will be able to view them by right clicking on a players name in assist or from a link in Battletracker.
----------------
QUESTION: Can I run 2 Assist servers on the same PC?

ANSWER: Yes you can run 2 servers on the same pc, But it is not easy, Heres how...
Stop any running server.
First create a new folder somewhere on your hard drive, lets say for example 'AA2'
Find your original 25assist folder in the following location...
Windows XP: C:\Documents and settings\USERNAME\Application Data\
Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\
Copy the 25Assist folder into your new 'AA2' folder.
Go into the 25Assist folder and Delete 'Settings.dat' (if you don't all your servers will crash each other).
Make a copy of 25Assist.exe and 25Assist Libs and put them in your new 'AA2' folder.
Now run the 25Assist.exe out of the new folder and you have a second installation.
You can do this a many times as you like, New folders called aa3, aa4 etc...

For further problems or support e-mail: [email protected]

Updated as of August 11th 2013 - Spanky
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 13:52:36 PM by JonnyM »

Jared

Re: AA2.5 Assist ReadME
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
What about how to change your username or make a noob account ;D

Jonnym

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »
What about how to change your username or make a noob account ;D

Go ahead, Post it here and I will add it to the file.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »
I added a link to the readme on the Assist home page.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
That's a really nice readme. Great layout and pretty much covered everything I could think of. Good job.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline uni-sol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »
maybe it would be beneficial to state the system requirements?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 15:18:00 PM »
IMO:
2.6GHz Single-Core (Multiple-Cores aren't used by the engine)
1GB of System RAM
512MB DirectX 8 Capable GPU
DSL Internet Connection

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 17:52:05 PM »
I'd consider that recommended sys requirements.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 18:06:28 PM »
I'd consider that recommended sys requirements.

I tested several maps. AA used 520MB maximum by itself so a 512MB RAM requirement wouldn't be enough to comfortably run a OS AND AA at the same time. For a CPU, I'm running 3.87GHz and it still lags on Pipeline so I think 2.4-2.6GHz would be an accurate number for most maps. For video memory, I was using about 320MB so 256MB cards would definitely suffer and 320MB cards don't really exist anymore and 512MB cards are pretty common. There's even cheap $40 1GB cards out there. As far as dial-up... I think that's a given :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 18:13:55 PM »
My 6600 GT has 128MB. I'm not going to say the sys requirments should be 128MB or something, but I get good performance on AA with this card. I get good performance on BF2 and Hitman Blood Money with this card as well. But this isn't a low-end card of the 6xxx series, it's a mid-range I believe. The CPU is the biggest performance issue with AA. So maybe we need to be a bit more specific on the type of GPU, there's a big performance difference between a series' low-end and mid-range cards.

Although I agree on 1GB RAM and 2.6GHz CPU.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 18:16:31 PM »
You should pull up GPU-Z while you're playing the game and see how much video memory is being used. Should minimum requirements be what it takes to run the game on low?

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 18:25:03 PM »
In this day and age, minimum requirements should be to run on normal with decals on low (projectors take too much cpu power). Althought I don't know how much of an impact on your FPS there is if you have the textures on low/normal/high. If you at least have a graphics card, your going to be getting better fps than people running on integrated.

Recommended should be to run the game with all the settings maxed (this doesn't have to include resolution. I max my settings but play on 1024x768).

I would consider my comp as running at minimum requirements. I'd say it's pretty fair to assume that.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 18:26:27 PM »
Fair enough. Minimum to run @ normal settings, maximum to run at full. But, I think we should mention resolution. When I tested for my post above, I was running 1280x720.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 18:30:13 PM »
The grandmaster of map testing seems to be AA3 Pipeline. So I guess we can base the requirements off that. I can run around at a few resolutions and give some stats. You want me to run around at normal settings then?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 19:28:34 PM »
Maybe we go all out and do recommended settings for low, medium and high. 60FPS w/vsync for a minimum.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager