Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: aa on new platforms  (Read 4674 times)

Jonnym

aa on new platforms
« on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 02:30:37 AM »
Someone go ask the u.s army if we can have the sourcecode for 2.5 linux so we can compile it for android phones and tablets, i think it would bring in a massive flood of players. They already have a linux version running opengl on SDL, should be simple to recompile.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: aa on new platforms
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 03:44:48 AM »
PAGING U.S. ARMY!

I'm not sure exactly how involved the source for linux is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it'd basically be giving the engine away.

Jonnym

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 04:40:33 AM »
They dont need to give it to us, just allow us to use it.

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »
Someone go ask the u.s army if we can have the sourcecode for 2.5 linux so we can compile it for android phones and tablets, i think it would bring in a massive flood of players. They already have a linux version running opengl on SDL, should be simple to recompile.

Great idea, that would be something big - not only because of new platforms, but because we should be able to do so much more than just by using mods or external software. Just one example: we could put those use IDs instead of guids inside normal udp query response (with no sweat).

I don't believe it's gonna happen, but it's sure worth giving a try.

Does anyone have some contacts in the AA development or should we just use some publicly available email?
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 11:04:59 AM by pit-23 »

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »
You can use this:
http://www.americasarmy.com/usarmy/contact.php?department=Community&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=300&width=750

Or even contact one of the AACM:
http://forum.americasarmy.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=218176
http://forum.americasarmy.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=218773

I used to contact [AACM]CyberNinja, but believe he isn't part now, if you find this affirmation wrong then i can share his old email.

[email protected] can also be used.
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »
Or maybe we should check Wikileaks - they may already have it :-DDD.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
Aside of the Eula terms, there probably is a good amount of code being property of 3rd party entities (i.e. engine code by Epic game software house). Btw the development team is the Redstone Arsenal one by summer 2009, the previous developers left on the AA3 release day (a few months after the 2.8.5 patch).

P.s. lately i've taken a look at the AA3 list on Battletracker and it seems like there's something going (or either the trackings are completely wrong) because both servers and active players have decreased a lot during the last month (let's say, down to 70 servers and peaks of only 260/270 players).

Uni-sol posted a lovely image in the update thread, lolz:

P.s.2 : i recalled back in a few years 2 ports for consoles (Xbox) were made by 3rd party companies who bought the rights for making and selling the game. http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3656

ARMY GAME LICENSING AGREEMENT

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.

This product is owned by the government of the United States of America and its use and reproduction are governed by the terms of this Licensing Agreement. 

READ THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT AND ANY PROVIDED SUPPLEMENTAL LICENSE TERMS (COLLECTIVELY "AGREEMENT") CAREFULLY BEFORE OPENING THE SOFTWARE MEDIA PACKAGE.  BY OPENING THE SOFTWARE MEDIA PACKAGE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSING AGREEMENT, INCLUDING THE GOVERNMENT'S ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY AND SUCH OTHER POLICIES AS IT MAY FROM TIME TO TIME ESTABLISH.  IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ABIDE BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, THE SOFTWARE SHOULD BE DESTROYED.  SHOULD YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS LICENSING AGREEMENT OR THE PROPER USE OF THE SOFTWARE, PLEASE CONTACT THE ARMY GAME PROJECT AT:  [email protected].

IF YOU ARE ACCESSING THE SOFTWARE ELECTRONICALLY, INDICATE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS BY SELECTING THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON AT THE END OF THIS AGREEMENT.  IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THESE TERMS YOU MAY NOT ACCESS THE SOFTWARE.  INSTEAD, YOU SHOULD SELECT THE "DO NOT ACCEPT" BUTTON AT THE END OF THIS AGREEMENT.

1.   License to Use.
Subject to the provisions contained herein, Army Game Project (hereinafter, "Developer") hereby grants you a non-exclusive license to install and use the accompanying version of the proprietary software, its associated documentation and any updates thereto (collectively "Software").  The Developer may modify the Software at any time for any reason. 

2.    Restrictions.
The Software embodies trade secrets and intellectual property protected by United States and international copyrights and other laws and international treaties.  By using the Software, you agree that all rights, title, and interest in the Software, including the copyrights and trade secrets, are the property of the Developer.  You agree not to modify, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reverse engineer the Software.  In addition, you may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any part of the Software or associated registered user accounts, except as permitted under this Licensing Agreement.  The Software has been developed for entertainment purposes only and is not designed or licensed for any other purpose.  No rights, title or interest in or to any trademark, service mark, logo, trade name, or any other intellectual property right of Developer or the United States government or its licensors is granted under this Agreement.

3.   Distribution
Except as otherwise provided in this Licensing Agreement, you may make copies of the Software and distribute them as long as the software is fully attributed to the Developer, the Software is whole and unmodified in any way and it is provided without charge to the recipient or any other party.  This software may not be distributed as part of a package (with additional software or other products) without express written permission from Developer. 

4.   Disclaimer of Warranty.
   4.1.  UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED IN THIS AGREEMENT, THE SOFTWARE IS DISTRIBUTED "AS IS."  ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE DISCLAIMED EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT THESE DISCLAIMERS ARE HELD TO BE LEGALLY INVALID.   THE SOFTWARE YOU ARE USING IS IN THE DEVELOPMENT STAGE AND, BY USING IT, YOU AGREE TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK FOR ANY COSTS OR DAMAGES YOU MAY INCUR WHILE USING THE SOFTWARE.
   4.2.  THIS SOFTWARE HAS BEEN PROVIDED TO YOU FREE OF CHARGE AND YOUR USE OF IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE DEVELOPER, UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT, THEIR EMPLOYEES, AFFLILIATES OR CONTRACTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT RESULT IN ANY WAY FROM: ANY USE OF THE SOFTWARE; OR, YOUR RELIANCE ON OR USE OF INFORMATION, SERVICES OR MERCHANDISE PROVIDED BY THE DEVELOPER IN RELATION TO THE SOFTWARE, OR THAT RESULT FROM MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELETION OF FILES, ERRORS, DEFECTS, DELAYS IN OPERATION OR ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE.

5.   Export Controls.  You may not download, use or otherwise export or re-export the Software or any underlying information or technology except in full compliance with all United States and other applicable laws and regulations.  In particular, but without limitation, neither the Software nor any underlying information or technology may be downloaded, used or otherwise exported or re-exported (i) into (or to a national or resident of) Cuba, Haiti, Iraq, Libya, Yugoslavia, North Korea, Iran, Syria and any other country to which the United States has embargoed goods or (ii) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department's Table of Deny Orders.  By downloading or using the Software, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.

6.   Any licensees of our server software must secure the written approval of the U.S. Army prior to establishing a server on a fee for service basis or for which they seek remuneration.  Requests for written approval will be forwarded to [email protected].
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 13:20:58 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 13:33:47 PM »
I don't know what would be involved but perhaps it would be as simple as recompiling the binary? If so, have a chat with icculus but I doubt he would do it for free.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 13:34:40 PM »
So you want AA for android? Are you serious? Sure we may have a massive flood of players, but all of them would suck horribly because touch controls for an FPS blow.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 13:35:29 PM »
He's serious. His computer died so he got a tablet and now he misses AA so much he wants to play it but is sad that he can't.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 13:36:40 PM »
I could see it being cool if they had to use separate servers...

Offline blint63

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 19:11:08 PM »
Separate servers with autoaim, redesigned controls and stuff like that.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 20:13:38 PM »
Once you get to a level of redesign like that, it becomes serious.

Offline blint63

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 14:03:47 PM »
Its hard to imagine some1 playing with mouse+keyboard on a tablet. Not to mention the lack of multi-threading, i doubt one core of those (shitty) ARM processors would be enough.

Jonnym

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 14:56:07 PM »
Were not talking about apple ipads here, but linux/android, mouse and keyboard can be connected, as well as HD TVs and monitors, most are now dual or quad core.
Although plugging a mouse and keyboard into a tablet is stupid so we would need to come up with a revolutionary new control system for touchscreens.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager