Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Why The New Update for 2.5 Assist?  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Rapture

Re: Why The New Update for 2.5 Assist?
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 00:16:22 AM »
noone asked for my 2 cents vut I would still like to spit it. in my personal opinion (even thought I was a 82nd clan member, but now M@FiOsO) I think it would be good to allow 2 official modded servers ( 1 being 82nd Pipe and the other HeadHunters Insurgent camp) but i do realize that if that was done then other server owners would say " well they are official, why can't we, its not fair" but perosnally I don't like modded servers myself. Occasional fc I thik is ok, but modded? No. I understand the "modded server killed AA" theory. And I can say I played AA since it first came out, but it didn't kill it. what killed it was people not patient enough (yeah we have lives outside AA) to stay in a non modded server to get players to join. another thing (I'm not talking shit to the devs of assist) is the lack of updates. we use to enjoy the the patches each mnth or 2 when AA was still being supported. A few fixes I reccomend is this.

1: Bridge Construction
OBJ is broken
Can't climb Def Ladder Onto Tower
Add really small amounts of fog (just itty bitty)

2:Breakout
Why are my nades when I throw them from 2nd floor of spawn on def, to 1st floor hallway towards assault spawn or down in main pump hurting my teammates that are postioned on the 3rd floor?

Can We Add A Self heal??
Can we add A sai? enemy spotted but not the glitched version where u can report e's
 even though u cannot actually see them.

Can we add a editor made for 2.5 and not have to make maps in 2.8 and convert them to 2.5? (if not then this is ok, just a suggestion)

Can we fix ladder glitch where u get stuck on ladders and can't do anything?

PB!!!! true pb is great. but if the admin pb commands don't work (and hack hunter works better than pb and faster) can we get rid of pb and have hack hunter as our main source for catching hackers so that people aren't getting handshake fails and other pb errors. besides, what's the stats on pb caught hackers and hack hunter caught hackers? what in ur opinon works best?

Also what is progress on updating to other versions other than 2.5? Not necessarily 2.8.5, but are there other versions we could build up to? 2.6? 2.7?

we miss those updates (patches) and we understand all the work is done free of charge without using Pragmatic (Pay for honor) But more people will be excited with more frequent updates.

Again, This is all my personal opinion which doesn't mean a hot cow patty in the hot texas summer heat. lol

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 00:33:32 AM »
Thanks for the post Rapture.

1: Bridge Construction
OBJ is broken
Can't climb Def Ladder Onto Tower
Add really small amounts of fog (just itty bitty)
That should all be easy to fix. I'll add this to a personal list and see that it gets fixed in the next update.

2:Breakout
Why are my nades when I throw them from 2nd floor of spawn on def, to 1st floor hallway towards assault spawn or down in main pump hurting my teammates that are postioned on the 3rd floor?
I have no answer for this. I would have to see it in-game before even guessing as to why it happens.

Can We Add A Self heal??
Can we add A sai? enemy spotted but not the glitched version where u can report e's
 even though u cannot actually see them.
Highly unlikely. This would require heavy amounts of coding via UScript and that's pretty much a lost language. A few people still know it but nobody that's willing to work on AA. Jonny, Possessed and me know enough to putter around and compile basic stuff but creating a new mod from scratch is way outside our skillset.

Can we add a editor made for 2.5 and not have to make maps in 2.8 and convert them to 2.5? (if not then this is ok, just a suggestion)
No, for many reasons. The editor could allow hacks to be made easier. It's one that's not public and has files that might be bad if leaked. It is also very buggy and temperamental and would be a strain to explain everything with it to the public. Then we would have to think about what to do when people make maps, how to handle them and allow people to upload them. Would the maps even make the cut? If there were more players and more interest in custom maps, I would probably be motivated to create our own Mission Depot website where everything would be handled. Right now though, I don't see it adding any benefit to the community as most of them don't even play custom maps aside from Pool Day.

Can we fix ladder glitch where u get stuck on ladders and can't do anything?
This goes back to the UScript thing again. Is it a bug? Is it AGP code? Is it engine code? It's probably beyond our knowledge.

PB!!!! true pb is great. but if the admin pb commands don't work (and hack hunter works better than pb and faster) can we get rid of pb and have hack hunter as our main source for catching hackers so that people aren't getting handshake fails and other pb errors. besides, what's the stats on pb caught hackers and hack hunter caught hackers? what in ur opinon works best?
I agree. PB just adds lag and is very bloated with all of the checks. I don't like it but I'm sure Jonny and Possessed would disagree.

Also what is progress on updating to other versions other than 2.5? Not necessarily 2.8.5, but are there other versions we could build up to? 2.6? 2.7?
2.8.5 is pretty much lost unless ELiZ comes back and fixes the brick wall of issues that he ran into. 2.5 is used due to the native code. Jonny got 2.8.5 working on Linux and Mac so 2.6 would be possible as UScript mods were developed for that but I don't know that it would be worthwhile.

we miss those updates (patches) and we understand all the work is done free of charge without using Pragmatic (Pay for honor) But more people will be excited with more frequent updates.
Again, I agree. I love updates. It shows the developers care. There's not a lot to update though. Security is tough because good hacks are paid for and personally, I wouldn't know the first step to detecting one. Updates for the game itself is pretty much impossible since we don't have the source code. Maps are great and that's something I know how to do pretty well but not many people play them. That's why I'm thinking about bug fixes and tuning existing maps without changing gameplay.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Rapture

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 00:42:48 AM »
well I have learned html, php, css and java script all in maybe 2-3 weeks. I'm a fast learner. what can I learn that can help assist in adding more development to the game? I'm willing to learn and love AA that much. We have to keep this going with as many updates as we can possibly make. we have to do this for the AA players who cannot afford cpu upgrades to play AA4 when it comes out. Or else im sad to say AA 2.5 will die at that time. And I don't think its right for AA2 to die after all the hard work all of you have put into it. I have both linux - ubuntu (I'm a android developer) and windows cpu. I can help anyway I can if u can point me in the right direction :-)

excuse my typos, I'm typing on my cell because my wife is playing AA on my cpu atm -_-

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 00:50:56 AM »
Well, AA runs on Unreal Engine 2 so learning UScript and anything with UE2R would help. Assist is built with RealBasic. I'm not really one to say "welcome aboard" or anything. Send a PM to Jonny and Possessed or Sergio and they can tell you more.

Offline Rapture

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 00:56:11 AM »
rgr that. I wouldn't want to be officially or unofficially onboard until I have learned as much as I can. thanks for the replies

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 01:13:56 AM »

Offline 82nd_DXO_COL=Shad

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 01:46:19 AM »
Perhaps a better pick-a-weap mod would be a more elegant answer. Having different modes such as rifle, machine gun or explosives to stop people from using a rpg when everybody else is having a pistol match. Then maybe allow 1 or 2 people per team to have an AR or something like that.

I have the decompiled uscript for pickaweap and modified it to remove RPGs and grenade choices.  Recompiling it with 2.5 is where I got stalled.  But I didn't try to hard.   In the end, we used hackhunter to limit nades and left the rest in place thinking Assault teams would come up with effective choices, e.g. cover vent, chastise the spawn campers, ect. but we kept getting flooded with those damn new player noob spawn campers.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 01:57:08 AM »
I have the decompiled uscript for pickaweap and modified it to remove RPGs and grenade choices.  Recompiling it with 2.5 is where I got stalled.  But I didn't try to hard.   In the end, we used hackhunter to limit nades and left the rest in place thinking Assault teams would come up with effective choices, e.g. cover vent, chastise the spawn campers, ect. but we kept getting flooded with those damn new player noob spawn campers.

That's a good first step but 203 and other weapon imbalances would still be there. I think it needs to be more restricted and count the number of a specific weapon a team has to make sure it's balanced (rifle vs rifle, sniper vs sniper). That's a fair bit of headache.

Offline Rapture

Offline Bart!

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 05:18:16 AM »

I agree. PB just adds lag and is very bloated with all of the checks. I don't like it but I'm sure Jonny and Possessed would disagree.
The main thing being used from PB now are the CVAR checks to make sure noone has illegal keybinds etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline OICURMT2!

« Reply #40 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 05:19:48 AM »
We care because we have been loyal to the game.

True loyalty lies in the acceptance in the original design and concept of the game...
--
Oh, I See You Are Empty Too !

Offline zoxee

« Reply #41 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 05:48:52 AM »
True loyalty lies in the acceptance in the original design and concept of the game...
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

JonnyM

« Reply #42 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:24:02 AM »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 13:27:26 PM »

To me a "mod" might make a sense only as an organic set of modifications made to create a different gameplay, if you simply add a couple of weapon modification or gameplay modification that do not mix up together you're just going short and easy to make something to work for what you're looking for (which isn't necessarily bad -unless it becomes the standard - but you can't call it as true as the original gameplay).

One of my fav games is Killing Floor. It features likely about more than 30 official weapons and maybe 10 more dlc weapons (without consider the unofficial ones used on custom servers which work on unofficial perks stats precisely because it's a quite different gameplay). Every single weapon is often compared and discussed about being overpowered, overpriced or unbalanced for the overall price/weight/power/operating speed ratio. The game is based on 7 perks (roles), which aren't complete by theirselves but rather complement each other, therefore the balance is really delicate and a single unbalanced tool or "role" will really mess up the overall teamwork and team ability to get through the round.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 13:29:25 PM by Koden »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager