Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Assist crashing my Hard Drive -- (Win 7-64)  (Read 1245 times)

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
Assist crashing my Hard Drive -- (Win 7-64)
« on: Friday, March 29, 2013, 19:06:49 PM »
I'm not sure why it's doing this, but Assist takes FOREVER to load up fully. This is all occurring, suddenly, within the last two-three weeks. Assist (and the pertinent AA folder) is installed/located on my secondary Internal Drive (WD 1TB, 7200rpm). As it's loading, I notice that I cannot access the drive's directory and files. Eventually, it does load, but the worst part is -- it makes that particular drive disappear afterwards; or, if it doesn't disappear after the first Assist/AA session, it will completely lock up the drive the next time I try to run Assist (when I have not turned off the PC since the previous AA session). Then, after it finally decides to unlock itself, the Drive is no longer accessible, unless I Shut Down. Importantly, I use this drive for recording large audio files (.wav, 32-bit, 96khz audio). I can easily undergo full-fledged audio recording, mixing, and mastering sessions with this drive, with no problems, hitches, hiccups, or anything. But as soon as I open Assist, the drive begins going down the proverbial drain.

I don't understand why it's doing this, though. It wasn't doing this before. I remember when Assist used to give that weird, random, "firewall" error; after this was fixed -- via an Assist update maybe -- I think this is when these problems began.

Any help would be awesome! I've been researching my ARSE off trying to figure out what's wrong. I've already checked the Power Management stuff -- disabled sleep/hybrid mode, disabled idle-disk turn-offs, and all that good stuff. Something tells me it's a Windows problem, but since Assist seems like the primary agitator, I'm wondering if someone can tell me 'what' Assist is doing when it says "Checking AA." Maybe that can help me fix this. Like, what could Assist be doing/accessing/writing that could affect the hard drive in this manner?

Thx!!!
« Last Edit: Friday, March 29, 2013, 19:10:39 PM by WORLDCHANCELLOR »

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: Assist crashing my Hard Drive -- (Win 7-64)
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 29, 2013, 20:12:10 PM »
The thing that takes the most time when assist is "Checking AA" is -to my knowledge- checking if all your maps are up to date compared to the official release. I guess it also check other aspects of the game as well though.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 07:19:59 AM »
maybe it's searching for the disk serial on wrong disk :)
and if you install aa25assist on your system drive, all good then ?

if so, just copy the whole Directory to your other drive and try again. maybe this works.
good luck

Offline Rob_LD

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 13:22:51 PM »
What you describe can be the very first signs of an imminent hard disk crash.
So if you have any data stored which you don't wanna lose forever it would be a good time for backup!

(This should be the first thing to do ever if your disk do some weird things.)

Afterwards I would recommend to process in the order specified:
- Run "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" (See WD download section)

>>On error: Buy some new hard drive

-Check the disk for defragmentation

>> Run defrag if needed

-Clear the disk by formatting

>> Try AA 2.5 at the cleaned drive

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager