Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: 2.5 graphics  (Read 6116 times)

Offline ^^UnDiSpUtEd^^

2.5 graphics
« on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »
Hey guys, wonder any news about 2.5 graphic changes?into a bete rones?obv not the ones like it was on 2.8 or 3.0 even better?I know that will take quit a long time with that but any ideas now?

Thanks

Offline Dialects

Re: 2.5 graphics
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »
I am not speaking in behalf of either mAAp or 25Assist...but knowing them lads as I do, I can most assuredly guarantee you it will not happen. The biggest reason to this is directly tied up to performance --People owning PowerPC Macs do not own strong-enough computers to run high graphics like the ones used in AA3. Infact, not only the PowerPC Mac users but the PC users alike seem to lack greatly on having the right hardware to run AA at the highest quality ping-free and with a stable and consistent FPS rate.

Surely, there are ways to go around the quality issue --one from which Nate is well known for; map & mesh optimization. Even so, that simply won't do it, I believe.

Again, this is but my opinion on the matter.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 11:55:29 AM »
Now I don't do the level editing or whatever, but it sounds like you want to replace the textures, which would be an extremely long and stupid process that wouldn't be worth the time spent changing them.  2.5's graphics aren't all that bad anyways, especially for a free game.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 13:23:34 PM »
Without a 3D artist, all we could do is replace textures which would be difficult to try and match textures to the current layout of meshes (UV Coordinates have to match on the mesh). Personally, I'm not skilled enough in Photoshop to re-texture something and make it look good. If someone was willing, I'll export some textures used in AA (like soldier clothing) and you can have a shot at it. It shouldn't yield much in performance hit though, as texture resolution would have to stay the same, it would just be the detail in the image itself (gif versus png kinda thing).
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 14:06:18 PM »
Aside of textures replacing i can't imagine much else, bloom is in development by Spanky i believe. Anyway AA 2.5 and 2.8.5 make use of only 1 processor core, so there's plenty of potential wasted because AA isn't going to be multithreaded. Otherwise one among the cool things to implement would be having more dynamic lights (but they're expensive in terms of rendering load).

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 15:15:57 PM »
Otherwise one among the cool things to implement would be having more dynamic lights (but they're expensive in terms of rendering load).

Dynamic lights are very heavy. You know the window haze? They were set to dynamic (which did nothing) and after setting them to static, FPS went up I think at least by 10, going from 45 to 55 in the worst areas. TriggerLights are being a bitch too...

Offline ^^UnDiSpUtEd^^

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 16:49:51 PM »
Thanks for answer guys I keep updating news in-game too. I agree with the texture change and it would be good if the character cloth would change also to better ones. Hope you keep develop things that we want to see in the game:)

Also I have question which doesn't go to this topic:
Does anyone else or just me a MAC user that when i m joining any server it takes a longer time than it does on windows, is it something wrong or is it my mac?

Thanks

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 21:03:57 PM »
Thanks for answer guys I keep updating news in-game too. I agree with the texture change and it would be good if the character cloth would change also to better ones. Hope you keep develop things that we want to see in the game:)

Also I have question which doesn't go to this topic:
Does anyone else or just me a MAC user that when i m joining any server it takes a longer time than it does on windows, is it something wrong or is it my mac?

Thanks

load times vary depending on things like hardware and the OS.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 23:13:35 PM »
Why aren't you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 23:15:06 PM »
Yeah. Everyone cool types in red. I guess you're just not cool.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 16:59:37 PM »
Well please don't add better graphics to the normal official maps.

Because Most of the computers here are still old, and people only play the crapt CS1.6 in them...

And in fact they can still play AA in some maps like pipe and bridge...

ps: AA3 didn't runned any good even on my GT7600 or on the X1800GTO. Only now on my new pc I can run it, but don't want to. I better go play combat arms than that crap. Though ppl killed CA which has cheaters on every god damn server... >:(
Keep Cool

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 17:34:12 PM »

ps: AA3 didn't runned any good even on my GT7600 or on the X1800GTO. Only now on my new pc I can run it, but don't want to. I better go play combat arms than that crap. Though ppl killed CA which has cheaters on every god damn server... >:(
Keep Cool

I don't think AA3 was even meant to run good on those cards, or to make good use of any graphic card at all, mainly because it uses quite a lot more the cpu rather the video card.
Nowadays free-to-play gaming scene is full of titles, Combat Arms is just a name among the old ones.

Cheats and cheaters sucks :) 

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 18:01:42 PM »
Haha LOL

I posted all over the Americas army forums that AA3 is garbage.

One of the beta testers said he had a good game for me the rusty hearts on steam LOLz (the dev's probably still think they made a good game ???).

ps: you should all go there and piss them off, maybe they will put some effort so that we could have a proper AA3 version with the good old AA2 gameplay.
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 18:03:20 PM by guily6669 »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 18:13:44 PM »

ps: you should all go there and piss them off, maybe they will put some effort so that we could have a proper AA3 version with the good old AA2 gameplay.

2 years and a half have passed, i don't even care about AA3. There's no way you can inprove a game (that was unplayable when released) and  still call it modern after 3 or 4 years will be passed. People will say Bye, and move to other games.

Jonnym

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 02:43:38 AM »
No, if we piss of the aa devs bad enough they will find a way to stop us playing aa2 to piss us off.
In any case I don't think its a good idea to piss of the US army. We might need their help when the argies invade the falklands again.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager