Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: BSOD caused by ctaudio.sys ftw  (Read 4029 times)

Offline [Majestic]tidididi

Re: BSOD caused by ctaudio.sys ftw
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »
I didn't say a lot of things = lower quality :-)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
tidididi, I totally understand your point but you can't correlate audio to a CPU. Sure you can overclock a CPU but the more expensive one (same model & architecure) will be "binned" higher. This means it's a better quality chip and verified to work at faster speeds. Every chip, even in the same batch, is built slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances, some handle heat and speed better than others. Then when you get into different stepping of the same model, some steppings handle heat & speed better. There's so much variance in computer chips, not just CPU's.

Anyway, back to the subject, I won't discount that the X-Fi cards are likely better than onboard sound (although onboard on a new motherboard is pretty decent these days) but when you look at the whole picture, they really suck. There's so many things in an audio circuit that can degrade the quality. DAC chip, resistors, capacitors, amplifying circuit (opamps in low quality components, discrete in higher quality). Sennheiser is a good choice but I would recommend nothing lower than their 5xx series.

I am going for quality unaltered sound. I've been going through various audio equipment for a few years and I did start out with a X-Fi XtremeGamer card and it was a nice card but there's several components I prefer above them.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline [Majestic]tidididi

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
tidididi, I totally understand your point but you can't correlate audio to a CPU. Sure you can overclock a CPU but the more expensive one (same model & architecure) will be "binned" higher. This means it's a better quality chip and verified to work at faster speeds. Every chip, even in the same batch, is built slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances, some handle heat and speed better than others. Then when you get into different stepping of the same model, some steppings handle heat & speed better. There's so much variance in computer chips, not just CPU's.

Anyway, back to the subject, I won't discount that the X-Fi cards are likely better than onboard sound (although onboard on a new motherboard is pretty decent these days) but when you look at the whole picture, they really suck. There's so many things in an audio circuit that can degrade the quality. DAC chip, resistors, capacitors, amplifying circuit (opamps in low quality components, discrete in higher quality). Sennheiser is a good choice but I would recommend nothing lower than their 5xx series.

I am going for quality unaltered sound. I've been going through various audio equipment for a few years and I did start out with a X-Fi XtremeGamer card and it was a nice card but there's several components I prefer above them.

I totally agree with you.

But few words about Sennheiser- 5XX products are excellent, I had a chance to use it and... no words, just magic. But my choice is 2XX series, because headphones are closed and at this price it's really enough :-)

Sennheiser 5XX = audiophiles imo.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 18:01:12 PM »
Personally, I haven't tried any Sennheiser headphones. The 2xx series might be fine for a persons first pair or first step into quality. But the 5XX and 6XX series is where true quality comes in.

There's also the AudioTechnica headphones that people like for gaming but I hear they lack bass. The Beyerdynamic DT770's are great for games & movies, they are super comfy as well.

I'm stunned that someone on this forum actually agrees with quality, it's amazing.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager