Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Get more out of your router with DD-WRT!  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Get more out of your router with DD-WRT!
« on: Thursday, December 03, 2009, 22:01:19 PM »
I just love 3rd party firmware. It expands your device and lets you do things that were not possible before. DD-WRT is no exception. It can offer options and settings beyond what you can imagine. I've been running it for over a year now and I couldn't be happier.

Couple of things I've been able to do (your mileage may vary):
QoS by physical LAN port - Basically, I can torrent and game at the same time. I had my upload used 90%+ (256kbps upload) and maintained a lag-free connection in BF2 with around 130 ping. Now, keep in mind in my setup I have a seperate computer that does the downloading/uploading so I use 2 physical ports on the router and can prioritize one over the other and that's all that QoS does. It see's packets coming from my server and puts them on hold until the packets from my main computer have gone through, thus lower latency.
Ad-blocking - This is much better than an extension for Firefox. It means that ANY program on ANY computer connected to the router will not see ads. It uses DNS to re-route the traffic for advertising websites to a location of your choice. You can null it out (which you will see a "page not found" instead of an ad) or you can host PixelServ on a computer connected to the router and re-direct ads there. The beauty of this is that pages load faster too since requests never leave your local network.

Check this out and TONS more at http://www.dd-wrt.com
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager