Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Discussion: AA Classical  (Read 10977 times)

Offline Dialects

Discussion: AA Classical
« on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 00:48:38 AM »
I believe this was Jonny's idea, consequent of his undying wish to do something. Funny enough -in here- we all pretty much share this odd feeling we -each on his own way- can still do a lot more, and better. Nostalgia aside, I personally do not see this project getting on its toes before discussion on it is had and legal traits are taken care of. It hits me that the latter will come off as a bigger problem than any we have -so far- encountered. We're talking about America's Game here, after all. At any rate, for the sake of a truthfully logical and open-minded discussion, let's just assume everything (permission-wise) is taken care of and we are being given a full green card on it.

How exactly would this AA be?
How do we want it to be different?
How further deep down are we getting?
Maps, what about those?
GUI, what about it too?
New 3D meshes, Character Design, Animation?
Assist or Game launch? Or have a "Assist" sort-of functionality inbuilt onto the game?

The list goes on. Anything you think of is worth discussion.
Try not to spam this thread a lot. I'd like not have to read those.
Anyone's opinion is worthy, even if you're not even considering becoming part of the Team behind this.
Just keep it to a sense, and be helpful as much as you can.

Ideas
Jonny's Ideas:
What i'm thinking of doing is completely taking over then game, Making it independant of the US Army. We will have our own account system, Auth system, Honor system and tracker and server list all in one database. We will completely strip out the GUI from the game and just leave a shell. The Servers will be run in LAN mode and then U-scrips will be used to authenticate players joining with our private auth system. This game called AA-classic will be independent from 2.5 and a game in itself. Most maps will be striped out and mAAp pack maps will be part of the games, I would like a legendary Spanky re-make of insurgent camp though! When i will actually get round to this is another thing, Probably won't happen for a couple of years, When AA will be dead and people are bored of MW2 they will be ready for a retro release.

Blueblaster's Ideas:
Completely new maps (nothing ported over or inspired/SE editions either)
The GUI would have to be completely different, as I always hated the original GUI, maybe a quick choice of skins would be nice too
I'd like to introduce a new physics engine too, we can always use the PhysX engine as I still have all the stolen code from when before Nvidia bought Ageia :)
Lastly I'd like to introduce newer shaders for DirectX9 and utilize .fx packages for shader usage like in every other normal game (I don't think coding shaders is hard, theres tons of tuts that show specifically this).

Spanky's Ideas:
MANDATORY: E-mail "[email protected]" about the possibility of the project. Not to ask for support/acknowledgement but instead see if they would be against it. Keeping core army values, not defaming the army, giving credit and not selling the mod would be high-points of our compliance.
We should mock-up what we want and release it as a beta. If it is widely accepted, work on a real release.
Recognized by X-Fire and/or raptr & MSN status changer to advertise
Change various in-game sounds (footsteps, etc.)
Possibility of disabling PB and using HackHunter for less lag - This would make it possible to only download the maps/features you want to play
Advertising in the client or website to regain server funds
Detect native resolution and play at that
Have "getting started" and "LEMME PLAY" page first come up when launching. getting started would run through some basic options. lemme play would cut corners to allow faster playing
Matchmaking - If enough people play, automatically and randomly join with like-honor players
Extreme statistics such as body hit location and favorite weapon
Remove un-necessary files and strip files of content
Backup content system if main tracker/server list is down
Download/upload speed limiter
Peer-to-peer torrent delivery system
Beta key for users to enter to have a copy of the current beta, key changes with each beta release
Remove training missions and the sounds for the non-existent land navigation course. However, preserve army values in at least a few maps to entice veterans (of the game, not war).
More use of NPC's in maps
Make Co-Op versions of each map (destroy a team with a mod and spawn bots accordingly)
More capture the flag maps with proper respawn (BF2 style)
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 21:30:57 PM by Spanky »
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Alex

Re: Discussion: AA Classical
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 01:13:40 AM »
I honestly do not see how this will ever be possible.....

can anyone shed some light on how this is actually possible?

Unless I'm understanding this wrong, you want to make a full game called America's Army Classic. The first roadblock is obviously the legality of it all. Unless this is just going to be a mod, in order for you to use the engine and call it America's Army you will have to pay the U.S. government, there is no way of avoiding that. Even if you can legally make this, to make a game from scratch would require a ton of work and a lot more people than you currently have.

Regardless, I don't think it is worth getting ideas for something that is probably not going to happen.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 01:37:30 AM »
Dann I think you're getting too worked up about this. Jonny mentioned something that MAY happen in a few years. He was a big part of mAAp's success and frankly I'm not even going to think about it until he mentions doing work on it. It would be HIS project that I would like to be a part of IF it happens.

*EDIT*
Clarified post :D
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 03:04:46 AM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »
I think killaman missed the whole point of Dann's post.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 08:38:25 AM »
I believe this was Jonny's idea, consequent of his undying wish to do something.

^ First line of my post. This being John's idea is very well known in my head, as you can see.

On another hand, this post's intention is just to see how different would AAC exactly be (if it were to be).

Just a little discussion around the thing, you know? There's no compromise here whatsoever.

I told you -and can tell everyone else- if anything is to happen, I'll only be here to give a hand in a year or so.

You guys really need to refresh the way you read my stuff. I'm no longer as much bunny-stressed as I used to be.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
I think killaman missed the whole point of Dann's post.

I guess I did. sorry.

On topic, I think it would be more like 2.5 minus the pokes. I am not sure what else could be done to make it better without moving away from what makes it America's Army. 

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 13:47:44 PM »
I just don't see why we should talk about it when it's potentially a year or two out. It will only make those that want to work on it work on it NOW.

As far as pokes... Crusade made a mod to prevent that. I don't know if it ever got released.

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 15:12:56 PM »
I am not going to ever trust crusade. it will probably come with a password logger. :o

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 15:28:19 PM »
I am not going to ever trust crusade.

lol :D

When I first got it, I decompiled it and couldn't really tell what it does. I think he said it was client-side so that would make for even more hurdles for logging passwords. Besides it's an account for a free game not like it's a credit card pass or something :)

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 15:53:32 PM »
true. But getting your account stolen is not fun. And video games are supposed to be fun!

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 16:53:08 PM »
But getting your account stolen is not fun.

Neither is paying for games  :-X

Anyway, as for Dann's original post, Jonny mentioned a few things to me via PM that would answer some of your questions but I'll let him talk here for himself if he wants that information known.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 22:10:50 PM »
K so what I think is that obviously it's going to have completely new maps (nothing ported over or inspired/SE editions either), the GUI would have to be completely different, as I always hated the original GUI, maybe a quick choice of skins would be nice too. I'd like to introduce a new physics engine too, we can always use the PhysX engine as I still have all the stolen code from when before Nvidia bought Ageia :). Lastly I'd like to introduce newer shaders for DirectX9 and utilize .fx packages for shader usage like in every other normal game (I don't think coding shaders is hard, theres tons of tuts that show specifically this).

Okay, that's all I have to add since I don't want to write a book about what AA Classic should have.

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 22:18:40 PM »
I still respect Crusade. It's hard to lose respect for a guy from one or two of his actions, especially when he already did those things when you originally respected him. (WOW I confused myself writing this. I think you'll understand it though, Dann. It reminded me of something you'd say :D)
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 22:23:18 PM »
I have no respect for a guy that makes hacks. He is ruining a game, making it not fun. That is lame as hell. Also with the password logger incident. Even if he has helped the community, he has hurt it just as much.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 22:54:12 PM »
I give in. Original post edited with my ideas and Jonny's as well.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager