Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Battlefield 3 goes Multiplatform  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Alex

Battlefield 3 goes Multiplatform
« on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 20:33:20 PM »
Remember when DICE promised that they were working on BF3 and that it will "blow us away"? Apparently they meant console owners. The limited edition of Medal of Honor is coming with a Battlefield 3 beta key, for PC, 360, and PS3. Well, looks like consoles got the best of DICE. I guess we won't see a true sequel to Battlefield 2.  :'(

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1109659p1.html
« Last Edit: Friday, July 30, 2010, 20:43:15 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Battlefield 3 goes Multiplatform
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 20:49:46 PM »
I'm lost. It says PC, PS3 and Xbox360 so, what's the problem?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 20:55:44 PM »
I'm lost. It says PC, PS3 and Xbox360 so, what's the problem?

Most people don't want this to turn out like Bad Company 2. BC2 is a very poorly optimized game full of console feature. Not to mention the game is running on the frostbite engine, which is a console engine. Everyone was expecting a PC exclusive game made specifically for PC that would be the best FPS of all time. A high standard set by the greatness that was battlefield 2. Unfortunately when they have to make a console version that can't even support half of the features the PC can, you have to wonder how it will work out. I sure as hell hope we don't have another Bad Company 2 situation here. While it is a good game, it is nowhere near the level BF2 was.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 21:28:32 PM »
I agree. But see the problem is and most people don't realize this is that we're in the transition from using multiple engines to make a game cross-platform. In that transition, things have to be worked on, it can't be perfect for every platform. The game is built then special things are done for each console. I doubt both the PS3 and Xbox360 versions are exact copies of each other. They just need to spend some more time on the PC side and they will when people complain. Consoles render games and have vastly different hardware than computers do and it's just going to take time to make all the hardware happy :)

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 21:40:54 PM »
But if it wasn't for the success of the Battlefield series on PC, DICE would probably be bankrupt. The least they could do is make Battlefield 3 with an engine specifically designed for PC and then port it to consoles, not the other way around. They need to remember what made them a big company, PC gaming.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »
lol thanks Skrewy. But while I agree to some extent, the engine is built and the content is added. They then build it (similar to rendering) for a platform. It's not that they make a game specifically for PS3 then modify the code for another platform, it's unisex until they build it, unless they do it really weird. The problem is that they do need to realize and focus on the PC build more.

Maybe I'm just blowing smoke out my ass though...

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 04:07:30 AM »
Mans brings up a good point. People so dumb that can barely hook up A/V cables can play console games. There's plenty of those types :) For people to get the same quality out of computers, you have to either know how to build them or have a pretty high budget to buy a computer that will last as long and give you the same quality as consoles do. If you know how computers work and how to build them, you can get exponentially more enjoyment out of the same game as you would on a console.

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »
All the money is in the consoles though, why would they bother spending time on pc side of things?

Not exactly, because almost every single PC gamer would pick up an exclusive Battlefield 3, because almost every single PC gamer owns Battlefield 2. Console fans just want to play run n gun no skill shooters. MAG is the only game that tried to be like BF2 on consoles and it didn't do too well. This is as much of a stab in th back as MW2 was. With the no dedicated servers and what not.

The only way this can be saved in my opinion is if it comes out that they are making a completely separate game for PC with differed devs and a different engine. The frostbite engine runs like shit on PC judging by Bad Company 2. Make it like Battlefield 2 where they released a crappy version for consoles.

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
[uninformed]I have a basic understanding of what you guys are saying but I would have never thought it out unprovoked. Just gonna throw that out there before I ask this:

I've heard nothing but negativity about BF:BC2 on the PC. I played the Beta on the PS3 (thanks Sniper... I think it was you), and I really enjoyed it. Could it be said/argued that - although I agree with PC superiority - the console versions for such games as BC2 are more critically acclaimed or better? Meh, I'll throw some tags on this post.[/uninformed]
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
[uninformed]I have a basic understanding of what you guys are saying but I would have never thought it out unprovoked. Just gonna throw that out there before I ask this:

I've heard nothing but negativity about BF:BC2 on the PC. I played the Beta on the PS3 (thanks Sniper... I think it was you), and I really enjoyed it. Could it be said/argued that - although I agree with PC superiority - the console versions for such games as BC2 are more critically acclaimed or better? Meh, I'll throw some tags on this post.[/uninformed]

I own BC2 for PC and love it. It is a good game. But it is a console port and considered not a legit entry in the Battlefield series by most PC gamers., this is why- Battlefield is supposed to be about huge maps with a lot of players. BF 2 supported up to 64 players ,and if you get a mod you can go beyond that. But instead they gave us BC2 that has a 32 player max, no lean, no prone, terribly optimized for PC, and no mod tools.  Battlefield 2 is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. It has sold more than BC2 would ever dream of. Everyone expected battlefield 3 to be a PC exclusive designed to be the best FPS ever, instead we get this multiplatform shit.

Also, to throw this out there, the PC version of BC2 has sold more than the 360 and PS3 versions so it's not like the console versions are the only thing making them money.

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Okay, that's all news to me. I grew up on the 3 playstations and Nintendo consules/handhelds. AA was my first PC game and really the only one I've played so - in the most confusing way possible, sorry - although I can understand how a PC can be better than consules, it's hard for me to truly comprehend this superiority.
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 14:42:03 PM »
That's lame. Bad Company isn't a continuation of the Battlefield series, it's more of a silly story. That's what it was from the beginning. It's not called Battlefield 3: Bad Company. It's a story with a multiplayer aspect attached. Why wouldn't EA and DICE go for multiplatform support when their engines can do it? Just because Bad Company was more of a story with smallish maps doesn't mean Battlefield 3 won't live up to the series expectations.

Offline Alex

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 15:02:09 PM »
That's lame. Bad Company isn't a continuation of the Battlefield series, it's more of a silly story. That's what it was from the beginning. It's not called Battlefield 3: Bad Company. It's a story with a multiplayer aspect attached. Why wouldn't EA and DICE go for multiplatform support when their engines can do it? Just because Bad Company was more of a story with smallish maps doesn't mean Battlefield 3 won't live up to the series expectations.

Show me the last console game that supported everything battlefield 2 supported? You can't. It can't be done on consoles. Jets, tanks, ACPs, helicopters, 64 players, huge maps. No console game can support all that along with decent looking graphics. You cannot make a true sequel to Battlefield 2 if it is also going to be on consoles. As for the part about their engines, the engine that runs BC2 is mediocre at best, how can we expect anything different this time around? BF3 uses the same engine as BC2, just an update.

That is unless they announce that the games for PS3 and 360 are going to be completely different from the PC version.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 15:47:19 PM »
Bad company used the Frostbite Engine. Battlefield 3 will use Frostbite 2, I doubt it's just an update. Also, that article said apparently it's coming for PS3 and XBOX. Is there any fully confirmed reports of that? Wikipedia says only Microsoft Windows as a platform.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 15:51:09 PM »
So basically you want a BF2 clone with better graphics? How is that fun? Other than the vehicles and mods BF2 is possibly the WORST shooter Ive ever played. The hit boxes and shooting mechanics are - for lack of a better term - broken, if I can sit there and get 3 straight head shots on some one with ANY GUN and not kill them, the game is flawed. If they made a game with a similar play style as BF2 with the shooting mechanics of say COD4, that game might be worth my time. And you do know that developers can optimize a game engine to run its best on each platform individually right?
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager