Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Battlefield 3 goes Multiplatform  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Battlefield 3 goes Multiplatform
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 15:58:34 PM »
Knight, the game was made in 2005, I think it deserves some credit. It's not the hitboxes that make the game, Killaman is talking about 64 players with jets, helicopters and HUGE maps that take minutes to run across. There's been shots in BF2 that I've missed when it's a clear headshot. I suspect some kind of physics is taking place as well as server lag but the game as a whole is groundbreaking. People should expect that from BF3 just as I do but the difference is, I'm not worried about a "console port" which, IMO, isn't an accurate term for most of the games out there.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 16:01:45 PM »
No, when I can load up with a friend and have him stand 3 feet in front of me. Shoot him 3 times in the head with an M9 and he doesn't die. The game is broken. I agree the huge maps and vehicles are great and ground breaking. From a shooter point of view the game was udder shit.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 16:25:01 PM »
The game is broken.
the game was udder shit.

I don't know what to say. I guess broken games are hugely successful and popular.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 16:33:16 PM »
First, don't quote out of context. Second shooting mechanics are not proper. Unless they intended to make the shooter element of the game unrealistic while the rest of the game strives for realism (as much as can be had in a game as such as BF2) then the SHOOTING element of the game is broken. Look at AA which was released before BF2, yet the shooting mechanics are there. I can shoot some one with a gun and they die, simple thing to wish for in a shooter I know but BF2 lacks this. Its a GREAT game Ive stated that a few times, sans the shooting element of it, it is FUN. So many games fail to achieve the "fun factor" that BF2 achieved.
[CleanMe][/url]

Offline Alex

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 17:38:50 PM »
So basically you want a BF2 clone with better graphics? How is that fun? Other than the vehicles and mods BF2 is possibly the WORST shooter Ive ever played. The hit boxes and shooting mechanics are - for lack of a better term - broken, if I can sit there and get 3 straight head shots on some one with ANY GUN and not kill them, the game is flawed. If they made a game with a similar play style as BF2 with the shooting mechanics of say COD4, that game might be worth my time. And you do know that developers can optimize a game engine to run its best on each platform individually right?
No. I want a game that won't be held back by a shitty game console. That is all I want. if it is possibly the worst shooter you have ever played, you have not play many shooters.
yes, they can optimize it, but will they? They didn't do a good job with BC2.

@spanky, EA announced that there will be a beta key included in every version of Medal of Honor limited addition.

I just hope they announce that the PC version will be different.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 18:07:26 PM »
Mind you these are only the ones I remember.

Shooters Ive played
Every MOH game excluding the newst one
Every COD game ever made (Including console)
AA 2.3- AA 3
Every Battlefield game including BC and BC2
Every STALKER game
Frontlines Fuel of war
All counter strike games
L4D
Every UT game (<3 2k4)
Crossfire
ARMA
Combat Arms
AVA
Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2
WarRock
FEAR 1/2
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 18:17:34 PM by Knight »
[CleanMe][/url]

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 18:50:03 PM »
@spanky, EA announced that there will be a beta key included in every version of Medal of Honor limited addition.

Beta key for what? The PC version? So far there's nowhere that says that Battlefield 3 will come out for PS3 and XBOX. Wikipedia is pretty up-to-date on these things and it doesn't mention it.

They'll use a newer version of the engine and they hopefully learned a lot from BC & BC2 (Which is probably one of the reasons why they made those games, since it's been so long since BF2, to test the waters and making a game on consoles and PC. The more I think of this aspect, the more brilliant it seems. While gamers are bitching about either BC or BC2, EA and DICE are raking in all that information and feedback to make BF3 a multiplatform game that will do what BF2 did for PC gamers.) that it will be great.

Knight, it's funny that you seemingly don't continue to play any of those. *EDIT* Knight, fuck you for making me make an ass of myself. I just looked over at X-Fire and you're playing Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 18:56:36 PM by Spanky »

Offline Alex

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 19:44:25 PM »

Beta key for what? The PC version? So far there's nowhere that says that Battlefield 3 will come out for PS3 and XBOX. Wikipedia is pretty up-to-date on these things and it doesn't mention it.

They'll use a newer version of the engine and they hopefully learned a lot from BC & BC2 (Which is probably one of the reasons why they made those games, since it's been so long since BF2, to test the waters and making a game on consoles and PC. The more I think of this aspect, the more brilliant it seems. While gamers are bitching about either BC or BC2, EA and DICE are raking in all that information and feedback to make BF3 a multiplatform game that will do what BF2 did for PC gamers.) that it will be great.

Knight, it's funny that you seemingly don't continue to play any of those. *EDIT* Knight, fuck you for making me make an ass of myself. I just looked over at X-Fire and you're playing Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2.
There's no way. Why would they give beta keys to people who buy the console version? Most console gamers do not have a PC capable of playing recent games. That would be a giant waste of keys. it also says that for Xbox you need a live gold membership to participate in the beta. So it's pretty for sure. I'll say it again, there has never been a game with the same scale as BF2 on consoles and it seems impossible It also has to have good graphics or people will bitch about them. It could possibly be a good game (BC2 is) but it won't live up to Battlefield 2.

by the way, if everyone was mistaken, wouldn't EA have corrected them by now? every major gaming news source is saying this.

EDIT: @ Kinight, I didn't know you played the STALKER games. :0

Offline Alex

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, August 04, 2010, 23:57:59 PM »
UPDATE: Battlefield 3 is leaving DX9 behind. That's right, Battlefield 3 will only support DX10 and DX11. Sorry XP owners. This is somewhat good news for PC gamers since consoles can only do DX9, there is a hope that Battlefield 3 will be built differently for the PC. It is also a sign that the requirements might be pretty high, as if Bad Company 2's weren't already.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, August 05, 2010, 00:31:35 AM »
While I detest XP, I like DirectX 9. Why? SoftTH uses it. I just today got my 3rd monitor setup and this news is a kick in the pants.

Offline Alex

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, August 05, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »
At some stage technology has to move forward...

They could have easily supported DX9 while still supporting DX10 and 11. A ton of games do it.

Offline Alex

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, August 05, 2010, 03:15:23 AM »
DirectX 9 was released in 2002, that is an 8 year old technology. It has to be phased out eventually.

It shouldn't be phased out when people are still using it though. people with XP can't go above DX9.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, August 05, 2010, 10:05:27 AM »
I is lost!
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Alex

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, August 05, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
I is lost!

direct X is graphics technology that PC games use to produce their graphics. Microsoft makes it so it is only on Pc, this is one of the main reasons macs do not get every games PCs get. As you can guess, DirectX 9 is what games have been using for a long time. But Microsoft has recently brought out DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 that are capable of doing many more things and have a ton of better features. The only problem is that games using DirectX 10 usually have high system requirements. DirectX 11 is only supported by ATI's 5xxx series and Nvidia's GTX 4xx series. I hope this helped.  :-\
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 05, 2010, 12:41:55 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, August 05, 2010, 16:19:41 PM »
The last directx 9 update was in February 2010. So directx 9 isn't exactly old. Honestly the only difference between DX9 and the newer versions is pixel shader calculation. And fuck tessellation in DX11, that is definitely not new. If you say it's new, you need to stop reading e-news sites and formulate your own opinions.

It's either devs are lazy and don't want to run a script to change a few lines of code or the guy in the big tie is a big jew and is forcing people to ride Microsoft's chain on their behalf.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager