Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Automatic overclock (for those with OEM computers or AMD Cool 'n Quiet)  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Automatic overclock (for those with OEM computers or AMD Cool 'n Quiet)
« on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 23:25:40 PM »
Thanks to Knight and vigorous research, I've found 2 programs in the last week or so that have radically changed 2 of my computers. Basically what I've done is taken 2 programs (SetFSB and CrystalCPUID) found command line switches to start them automatically on the settings I need so they start with Windows. This is great for OEM BIOS's that are locked or as a replacement for AMD's Cool 'n Quiet. The combination I've used has allowed me to overclock and undervolt which saves power and reduces heat. It is a rock-solid but lengthy process to setup. I'm wondering if anyone here would have an interest in a tutorial on how to do this? It would take a while for me to write up and also take several screenshots. It's no real problem if I can help someone but if nobody cares, I can spend that time doing other things.

An example of what can be accomplished (my laptop):
AMD Sempron 2800+ that runs at 1.6GHz and uses 1.3v default.
With SetFSB and CrystalCPUID, within 20 seconds or so of Windows startup (slow 5400rpm Drive) it's set to either one of the following depending on load:
1.712GHz (8×214MHz) 1.125v
1.605GHz (7.5×214MHz) 1.075v

Going from 1.3v to 1.075v is a pretty big jump especially for a battery-powered device. This means less heat and less time the fan is running which directly translates to more battery life.
It may not seem like much of an overclock but it's 100% stable. With SetFSB I can go higher (~1.8GHz) but for some reason it doesn't set that high and I've tried several things to fix it. Also, running 214MHz FSB instead of 200Mhz means that the RAM, instead of running at 400MHz is now running at 428Mhz.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic overclock (for those with OEM computers or AMD Cool 'n Quiet)
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 30, 2010, 23:57:25 PM »
Sounds cool. Maybe you can make a quickie tutorial instead of a full depth one. Most people here would understand it.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager