• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: AA2.3
« Reply #30 on: Friday, December 25, 2009, 03:57:39 AM »
I knew I wanted to use 2.3... Spanky needs to find a way of getting his maps onto 2.3.

To be perfectly honest, it was the people, the community, the atmosphere that made 2.3 what it was. Same for 2.5, the only difference is that 2.3's "community" is non-existent so it's just a shell.

Storytime:
When I first mingled with BlueBlaster I believe he played 2.6. My version of choice was 2.3 even having played a lot of 2.6. I gave him some maps I had downloaded and hoarded many months prior from aa-maps.net. Time passed, 2.8 was released and naturally I checked out the editor and made crappy modifications that I thought were really 1337. None of us really liked to play 2.8, we really liked to stick to our version. Eventually the idea came up to ask iZi about making our own maps. I tried long and hard to figure out how to map for 2.3 with the help of iZi (iZi mentioned possibly having made maps for that version but in my years of collecting, I have never seen a map that works with 2.3) Finally, after much harassing and research about doing things for 2.3, he said that he might have an easier way. He gave me a rar and in it was UnrealEd... 2.4.1.

The version I received was the only leaked/stole one (besides betas that were leaked but they don't come with the editor). It's the only one that works straight up with versions 2.4-2.6.38. 2.3 is a different bytecode and a different engine. I have tried before and maps don't open because of the bytecode difference (something the devs implemented to basically mess up hacks so they didn't work with the next release right away). If one could change the bytecode after building a map for 2.5 to make it compatible with 2.3, the issue would come up with the engine version. I've opened maps from AA1.0 (same engine as 2.3) and while they opened, there were build errors. Things were changed in the engine and as well in the game. In fact there's minor issues with our editor and 2.5 (2.5 has things the editor doesn't). Going backwards at a version would be difficult. We wouldn't know build errors since we can't compile/build on 2.3 and thus any problems that arise might be harder to diagnose.

It is also my understanding from Crusade that coding is much easier on 2.5 and also has more possibilities. This would have to be thanks to the devs for implementing new features and not covering exploits up.

I'm just trying to give some facts. It may not matter which version for a server-browser, authentication system or tracker but from my experience and point of view it matters a lot for mapping and coding.

Bottom line for me, 2.3 vs 2.5... they'll both be dead. My vote is 2.5 once the a-holes are gone.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 25, 2009, 06:07:29 AM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Thor

« Reply #31 on: Friday, December 25, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »
people of HsC u know it be impossible to start playing on 2.3 again we are going to be the only retards there Lol but i guess ill help too on whatever u guys are planing to do

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday, December 28, 2009, 23:59:46 PM »
So I guess we gave up on AA Classic/2.3?

Jonnym

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »
Spanky thinks it can't be done, Map editing that is. I'm still going to put up some 2.3 server though later.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 03:25:23 AM »
IMO, I'd go for something a bit more modern. 2.3 runs a fairly really old engine. The whole point of revitalizing an older AA version would be to build new concepts on top of the old ones that are already there.

What you can do is send a nice letter/email to someone at licensing at AA if you could have the source or tools of the depreciated AA version or you can ask Epic for the SDK or source for Unreal Engine 2 and reverse engineer AA from that. Have fun getting anything out of them though, they don't like to answer their mail or the mail boy throws it away not even getting to the eyes of someone important.

You can do what you want, cuz a pirate is free. But honestly I'm answering because I haven't seen any new posts for a while and I feel like I have to post something somewhere.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager