Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Command and Conquer 4  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Alex

Command and Conquer 4
« on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 00:17:40 AM »
Command and Conquer is back, cheesy cut-scenes and all.

The intense battle between Nod and GDI finally ends.

GAMEPLAY
Command and Conquer 4 moves away from the traditional RTS style building system and completely scraps bases all together. Gone is also the resource collecting, replaced  with a unit cap. This may sound disastrous, but it surprisingly works quite well. The game is hardly an RTS but is still classified as so. They ditched the old base building in place for a mobile vehicle that creates all of your units, called a crawler. Each faction (Nod and GDI) has 3 classes or generals you can choose. Offense, Defense, or Support. Offense has the attacking units like tanks and walkers but is not able to build buildings. Defense has infantry and the ability to build defensive installments. The support class mostly consists of aircraft and is able to use support powers around the battlefield like an airstrike. This of course can sometimes be frustrating online if your team has too many of one class. The odd thing is that they included a leveling system as well as an unlocking system that is very unfair, especially when it comes to multiplayer. You start off with only a few units and you get new units as you rank up. Here is the interesting part, you get points to level up from campaign and skirmish as well.

STORY
A mysterious substance called Tiberium has landed on earth. No one knows where it came from, or what it is. It is soon discovered that it is very poisonous and is spreading rapidly across the World. Tiberium has spread to almost every corner of the planet, humanity tries to find a solution to stop the spreading of Tiberium which would make the planet un-habitable. Very few un-effected zones exist (blue zones) while there are severely contaminated zones (red zones) where human life is not possible. Most of the world's population lives in moderately contaminated areas (yellow zones). Two factions form on Earth. There is The Global Defense Initiative, or GDI, who protects the civilians and is trying to get rid of the tiberium. The oporate mainly in Blue and yellow zones. Then there is the Brotherhood of Nod. Led by a mysterious figure who goes by the name of Kane. Labeled as a terrorist organization by GDI they operate in secrecy. They operate in yellow and red zones.

CAMPAIGN
Short. Not MW2 short, but it isn't very long. You must also consider the fact that there are two separate campaigns for the two factions though. The class system is frustrating and I have no idea why they would use it for single player. The missions are fun but like MW2 the transition from mission to mission is not very long and not very informative. The cut-scenes are real time and use real actors for the game making some of them semi-cheesy. To sum it up the campaign is forgettable.

ONLINE MULTIPLAYER
Fun, but there is a catch. Usually in a normal RTS if one team has more unexperienced players they are going to lose. This is also true for Command and Conquer 4 but it is even worse. With the lackluster leveling and unlock system not only do experienced players have a tactical advantage, they also have more and better units to beat you with. While it is possible to win with the starting units, it is extremely hard. Thankfully you get points from offline play so you can just beat the campaign and play some skirmished and you should be up there in rank eventually.
GAME MODES
Online has only one game mode, domination. You must control a series of control point. Whoever has the majority of the control points gets more points for their team. The first team to 2,500 points wins. There is 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4, and 5vs5 player domination.

GRAPHICS
Ok. That is how I can describe it. The units look anything but real but in an RTS type games it doesn't really matter. The atmosphere is pretty well done but should be darker considering the state of the planet.

SOUND
Sound effect wise it is like almost every other RTS. The game does boast and outstanding soundtrack, which every C&C game has had. I'm not talking about actual songs in the main menu but the music as you play the game. The music changes from slow when you are building units to fast paced when you are fighting. Each faction has it's own special soundtrack to fit the style of the faction.  EA might not know how to make a good RTS, but they can sure make a good soundtrack.

BOTTOM LINE
This game looks to be an experiment. They tried to mix an RTS, FPS, and MMO all into one. The outcome is a sloppy game that has no real genre. EA chose the wrong series to try this on as many C&C fans are outraged at the changes. Also the fact that you have to be connected to the internet even when you are playing offline has also deterred customers away from this game. I for one am disappointed as this could have been so much more.

GAMEPLAY:8
GRAPHICS: 7
STORY: 7
SOUND: 9
MULTIPLAYER: 8

OVERALL: 7.5

This is a game EA should not have made but can be fun at times. It is not worth the buy unless you are a big Command and Conquer fan.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
Re: Command and Conquer 4
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 00:38:16 AM »
Thanks for the review. Very well done, A+ review. I was looking at this the other day thinking about getting back into the C&C series, but I think I'll wait till C&C 5 for that.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 00:46:07 AM »
What site did you steal this from? It's a good review :) I am honored to have someone posting this kind of quality material on this crappy site.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 00:50:09 AM »
Thanks for the review. Very well done, A+ review. I was looking at this the other day thinking about getting back into the C&C series, but I think I'll wait till C&C 5 for that.

The next Command and Conquer game will probably be Generals 2 since they only have 2 series left and they just made a Red Alert last year.

And thanks for the comments guys.   ;)

-Delta-

« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 00:45:45 AM »
Nice review Killaman.  :)

Command & Conquer was probably one of the first games I remember playing, that and Raptor: Call of the Shadows. I always loved one thing about C&C, and that was building a base. Now that they took that out, I doubt I'll be buying this one. But, I wouldn't buy any Windows only game, anyway.  ::)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager