Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
What to do?
« on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 03:14:05 AM »
Just a heads up, this post will have some Dann-esque attached.

Recently, I was browsing the forum and had a revelation. I finally understood the point behind Dann's threads such as the Intelligence one. Don't ask me what made me see his point because I really don't remember. I just remember an "ahhhh" moment. Today, I spent some time having a good chat with Dann and this subject came up. I'll try and summarize my point so most people read it:

While we, as a community, have the ability to have various discussions, I would like to see more. I appreciate and am also amazed at the amount of activity since I opened this site. While some of his posts are over my head, I do find it a shame and waste that Dann's efforts are largely ignored. I know the larger demographic of this site is late-teen gamers and because of that, philosophical and deep meaningful artistic things may not appeal. That's fine. But, it doesn't mean that we have to be so narrow in discussions. I've enjoyed most of the discussions in the debating board, I would like to see more of that. Killaman does a great job giving thorough reviews of games and I think we all post news, mostly technology, but news nonetheless. I like Headshot!, I do. I just wish there was more. I'm not going to say you people need to change yourselves to be more engaging and entertaining for the rest of us or say that you need to go out and learn a subject. I'm not going to because I know you won't. You are who are who you are and who am I to dictate how you change your life. So then, what's the answer? After talking with Dann and doing some thinking, I think it comes down to 2 things:

1. We need more diverse activity. I can't really push this and I don't know how to go about it. Basically, more posts/threads concerning different subjects.
2. While you all are quite enjoyable, we need more people. Don't spam the URL on DRAAT or your MSN client, just share this site with the people that you respect and enjoy talking to. This is meant to be a friendly place for welcoming anyone to talk about anything and I will do what I can to maintain that.

Speaking of my duty to maintain this place; I'm going to say that, without pointing fingers or mentioning threads or accusing, I'm asking that everybody should do what they can to respect each other and to be a little more careful of what they say and who they say it to. This is nothing Dann mentioned to me, it's just my own observation. Part of being open and welcoming new ideas and people is that you give and get respect and don't piss people off. You may have views, opinions and beliefs but that doesn't mean you have to push them on people or make others feel bad for thinking something other than your stance. You wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

I could also put some blame on myself for things like using a cheesy subdomain for the site instead of forking money over for a real URL (but that will change sometime soon) and also using a default theme for a forum. They're minor things but they do nag at me.

That's that. As Crunk would say, discuss.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »
I post and reply to things that interest me. I am not going to go out of my way to pretend I am interested in something that I am not. If I cannot add anything relevant to the conversation, I don't post.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
Nice post. Hopefully, this will have some sort of effect on the way people look at this community.

@Killaman: This is a community. We sometimes have to do things as a community. Why won't you be flexible?
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 11:33:54 AM »
Nice post. Hopefully, this will have some sort of effect on the way people look at this community.

@Killaman: This is a community. We sometimes have to do things as a community. Why won't you be flexible?

This is not a case of flexibility. This is a case of you wanting people to talk about what you like even if they know nothing about it. I do not talk about things I am not interested in or I do not know about. If I post something in a topic that I have no clue what it is about, I just end up looking stupid in the end and not adding anything of value to that topic. It would essentially be spam.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »
Sorry Nate...

Killa, are you by any chance implying that I -alone- am the only person wishing to see more diversity within the community? If yes, you are wrong. It is exactly because more people shared that same ideal of mine that this post has been posted. Although me and Nate had a conversation addressing HsC's current state, where I suggested a post like this would be productive to the community, it was Nate who wrote it all down and made the last call by pressing "Submit", not me.

It saddens me to see you won't accept different things/subjects to the ones you are used to. This is one of the reasons why ignorants remain ignorants (Know that I am not directly calling you arrogant!). If computers, games and politics are your only are of expertise, so be it --but even in those, there is more to be learned. By cutting your defensive reactions/responses, and understanding that things aren't always as linear and simple to understand as they may seem, you will be able to participate and add greater value to your posts, I believe.

In the early times of Headshot, we used to have big (and interesting) discussions about Politics as well. That is because people took the time to address their opinions respectfully whilst still defending their opinions and views, never cutting space for a open discussion. Nowadays, it's either a fundamental post that locks itself around its poster's knowledge or some sort of uncalled for rant/personal defence against what ever has been targeted at you -even when the presumption of said "attack" has been had at the cost of your own unskilled perception.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »
Not once did I imply that you were the only one who thinks that way.

It saddens me to see you won't accept different things/subjects to the ones you are used to. This is one of the reasons why ignorants remain ignorants (Know that I am not directly calling you arrogant!). If computers, games and politics are your only are of expertise, so be it --but even in those, there is more to be learned. By cutting your defensive reactions/responses, and understanding that things aren't always as linear and simple to understand as they may seem, you will be able to participate and add greater value to your posts, I believe.

It is not that "I can't accept different things" as you said, it is that if I do not know what I am talking about, I don't say anything. Would you rather me post a bunch of BS that doesn't add to the topic? Because I can do that if you like. My main point is that posting without knowledge of a subject is a waste of a post and everyone's time.

As for the second part of the paragraph, I never said anything about that. I know there is always more to learn.

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 13:03:03 PM »
I believe you two are misunderstanding each other and neither one of you is attacking the other, yet you both seem to think the other is doing just that.

I've been posting less and less lately and even my activity on MSN has been falling. This is still my favorite forum, and still the top bookmark in my bookmark folder  8) I've had someone in mind to invite since the forum started but nobody else knows him so I didn't really bring it up with him. I think that there is a limit to positive growth and we need to recognize it when we get there. We don't want this to be DRAAT or ACI, we want this to be HeadShot.

@Nate:
Quote from: Nate
I know the larger demographic of this site is late-teen gamers and because of that, philosophical and deep meaningful artistic things may not appeal.

Although I am a "late-teen gamer", I much prefer philosophy and the like. I'll be sure to add my opinion on any thread made in the ol' 'bating forum.

WTF KILLAMAN WHY DID YOU POST WHILE I WAS WRITING I WAS GONNA TRY TO SOLVE THIS ARGUMENT THEN YOU RUINED IT.
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 13:10:55 PM »
I believe you two are misunderstanding each other and neither one of you is attacking the other, yet you both seem to think the other is doing just that.

I've been posting less and less lately and even my activity on MSN has been falling. This is still my favorite forum, and still the top bookmark in my bookmark folder  8) I've had someone in mind to invite since the forum started but nobody else knows him so I didn't really bring it up with him. I think that there is a limit to positive growth and we need to recognize it when we get there. We don't want this to be DRAAT or ACI, we want this to be HeadShot.

@Nate:
Quote from: Nate
I know the larger demographic of this site is late-teen gamers and because of that, philosophical and deep meaningful artistic things may not appeal.

Although I am a "late-teen gamer", I much prefer philosophy and the like. I'll be sure to add my opinion on any thread made in the ol' 'bating forum.

WTF KILLAMAN WHY DID YOU POST WHILE I WAS WRITING I WAS GONNA TRY TO SOLVE THIS ARGUMENT THEN YOU RUINED IT.

How did I ruin it by trying to explain myself? I'm not attacking him in any way.....

Offline Dialects

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 13:33:45 PM »
I never thought I was being attacked. I just expressed my discontent towards possible attacks.

@Killa: This is how I see it. If my knowledge on a certain area lacks, I'll either:  A) Learn about it  B) Ask the poster whether he can give me a hand, or maybe even, explain what he means in a simpler way, so that I can -at least- understand the concepts and ideas being shared. This is, in my humble opinion, the best of the ways to deal with it.

@AJ: Glad to see you are interested in philosophy and even poetry! Good spirit!

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 15:15:19 PM »
*sigh*
Dann, we can't ask people to change.
Killaman, I'm not asking people to change.

^^ I hope I made that very clear in my original post. The largest thing I'm trying to do is to ask people to possibly broaden the community by inviting a couple people that they respect.

AJ, so what if nobody knows him and he only knows you? Nobody knows who S/T is yet I invited him because I think he's a good guy and would enjoy some of the discussions that go on here.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Dialects

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 20:43:45 PM »
In my defence -as unneeded as it may be to defend myself-, I would like to say that never have I willingly attempted to change anyone. If anything, I was simply trying to let others know what has worked best in my life, therefore giving them more to think about -in the possibility that that will, somehow, help them to maximize their life experiences and provide them with a greater and far more pleasant quality in life and character-; which has proved to be something humanity tends to do quite often. To pass the knowledge down to others. To care about the passerby.

The largest thing that there is in this thread is how this could eventually make you -whomever you may concern- that giving more time to your posts and dedication to its content may very well be far more productive to the community, moreso than you'd ever consider it to possibly be. Inherent to my perfectionism, I am forced to embrace the thesis and belief that it is in the little things that change is more relevant. Change this and that, and calmly sit down, for what is coming thereof and therefrom goes far beyond our understanding: It is what I call a reactive-consequent world. And we live in it, too.

Bottom point: Just because Headshot is a place for you to hang about with your mates, don't take it as lightly as to make less interesting, even if unconsciously.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 22:36:47 PM »
  I don't like posting on things that i wish not to get in to like politics ( igot enough of it by the day in my country), philosophy or poetry, those are things that just don't interest me at all...

Software boards like the must have programs, or the windows area tricks and tweaks for it i just love it...

I can cleary relate to Dann wanting more from us because that is what he want from us, to be more proactive in any aspect of our lifes like he is, but Dann you should remeber that not everything that shines is gold some of us (me included) just do not have the IQ or the love for the same things you have, and that is what makes us unique as a comunity and a few good friends brouth together by a great game..

Spanky is our great geek in every aspeck he improves everything i have seen that.
   Daniel you got alot of potential you just need to push youself foward!
   Killaman you are a very brigth person! get to college and be something important so i can say you were my bitch back in our AA days!
   AJ stop playing pokemon games and grow up! (jokes man jokes)!!!!!!
   Mans, keep doing whatever is that you are doing you are a great kiddo!
   Screwy well dude we got an epic battle, you are also very intelligent man! keep it up and you will be a girl of huge suscces!!!

thanks for taking the time to try to understand what i have wrote"!

BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 03:30:03 AM »

Spanky is our great geek in every aspeck he improves everything i have seen that.
   Daniel you got alot of potential you just need to push youself foward!
   Killaman you are a very brigth person! get to college and be something important so i can say you were my bitch back in our AA days!
   AJ stop playing pokemon games and grow up! (jokes man jokes)!!!!!!
   Mans, keep doing whatever is that you are doing you are a great kiddo!
   Screwy well dude we got an epic battle, you are also very intelligent man! keep it up and you will be a girl of huge suscces!!!

thanks for taking the time to try to understand what i have wrote"!

I am offended.....

Kidding!
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »
he still cant spell my name

Roger that  spelly Queen!
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager