Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Suggestions for Sound/Shadow Improvement in AA --  (Read 9362 times)

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
Suggestions for Sound/Shadow Improvement in AA --
« on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 22:42:58 PM »
So I've long noticed that the sound in 2.5 is a lot worse than 2.8.5 and, in many respects, simply inferior. The doors and footsteps are literally, completely silent if you take advantage of certain peculiarities in the game. For example, a popular glitch we all used to use in Invite-level competition was on Pipeline. When, on assault, rushing Primary (or to Main Pump basement) from Oil, if you keep running without stopping, the sound you actually make won't render for the other team until a moment AFTER you are directly in the FOV of the other team. This occurs even if an OpFor is on Basement floor crouching down and looking at Primary. For OpFor, the enemies will simply 'appear' there like a ghost, or like the theoretical result of a teleportation device, with no precursor indication.

Another example is carpet sound, which changed in 285 and became not only, subjectively, better-sounding, but also better for people to hear it correctly. I believe 285 also changed the internal rolloff filters. The gun clicks and nade-pin sounds in 285 were crisp, sharp, and could be heard nearly anywhere on the map, which also balanced out some of the game's peculiarities in its sound production. And they probably did this because they had to remove/disable shadows altogether, as a result of a graphical anomaly (which still exists in 2.5 today) that allows big, black, boxy "shadows" to appear through walls, floors, etc.

I submit, basically, that we should try addressing the sound glitches of which folks who are in-the-know can take advantage, and simply allow everyone to hear more. I don't know if this encompasses modifying the internal roll-off filters or whatever, but I do know that even someone without an X-Fi (or any 3D-surround audio interfaces) will benefit from being able to hear more and get an idea of where people are when they are near -- rather than sounds randomly going straight to 'mute' when you were JUST able to hear them. Instead, I think the sound should gradually decrease with distance, which is more realistic. So if this is possible to implement, it would be amazing, and it would stop me from being able to sneak up on people all the time who, realistically, should have been able to hear me.

Lastly, the big, black box "shadows" are still here, and I think it's time we either disabled the "Full" option for the Shadows (which is the only way to promulgate the shadow glitch), or we figure out why it happens at all and fix it. I'd go with the former, seeing as though the AA devs didn't even really figure it out; instead, they simply disabled being able to put shadows to "Full," but they allowed "Blob" because you can't do the glitch with the Blob setting.

Offline [Majestic]tidididi

Re: Suggestions for Sound/Shadow Improvement in AA --
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 00:05:59 AM »
The sound problem is because of Windows 7.

Offline taskbaroq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 00:53:09 AM »

you dont know anything about sound in aa dude

what turnaments you won? who are you?

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 01:16:07 AM »

No, I've fixed the sound issue long ago. That's not what I'm referring to. If you need that Win 7/64bit fix, let me know.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 02:07:03 AM »
IMHO hearing people miles away, isn't really as realistic as you're making it out to be. When was the last time you were sitting at home and heard a neighbor open his bathroom door? Or hear him go from the kitchen's hard surface to his living room with a carpet?
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 02:40:14 AM »
There are lots of things you can already hear; there are just anomalies that I think we should address and make it better for everyone. Like I said -- if you want players like me to have an advantage like that over others because they're not as experienced and/or in-the-know, fine. lol

Offline KARI-30

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 04:19:11 AM »
The sound is great as it is now, I dont experience anything what you described. So please dont try to "improve" the game again.

Offline Saltuarius

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 05:16:23 AM »
good points, at least the shadow-problem should be solved. server-side option to turn it off like in 285 for competition would be good...

Offline Bart!

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 06:06:40 AM »
There are lots of things you can already hear; there are just anomalies that I think we should address and make it better for everyone. Like I said -- if you want players like me to have an advantage like that over others because they're not as experienced and/or in-the-know, fine. lol
I do agree with you, as I have pretty much felt the same about sound being totally different for me since 2.8.5.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »

I submit, basically, that we should try addressing the sound glitches of which folks who are in-the-know can take advantage, and simply allow everyone to hear more. I don't know if this encompasses modifying the internal roll-off filters or whatever, but I do know that even someone without an X-Fi (or any 3D-surround audio interfaces) will benefit from being able to hear more and get an idea of where people are when they are near -- rather than sounds randomly going straight to 'mute' when you were JUST able to hear them. Instead, I think the sound should gradually decrease with distance, which is more realistic. So if this is possible to implement, it would be amazing, and it would stop me from being able to sneak up on people all the time who, realistically, should have been able to hear me.

I think there's too much sound in AA. It should be lowered to keep the game fun and fair. Sounds makes the game shitty as it's the one that has the best sound, who pays the most for headphones or has the most knowledge about sound that will win. It's impossible for someone of average level to 1 vs 1 against someone with perfect sound. It's like a wallhack or something and it makes the game really unfair.
Just my 2 cents

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »
I think there's too much sound in AA. It should be lowered to keep the game fun and fair. Sounds makes the game shitty as it's the one that has the best sound, who pays the most for headphones or has the most knowledge about sound that will win. It's impossible for someone of average level to 1 vs 1 against someone with perfect sound. It's like a wallhack or something and it makes the game really unfair.
Just my 2 cents

I completely disagree. You should certainly not have to guess so much. As I alluded before, even people with ostensibly "crappy" sound cards will still be able to hear, if they listen. If someone doesn't listen, it doesn't mean that we should move toward lessening the ability to do so, all for the sake of evening things out. This will NOT even things out; believe me, it will do the complete opposite, as I often play without AA sound at all, and I STILL take advantage of these sound anomalies, to much success. Instead, I think that we should move toward perfecting the sound we already have, fixing the anomalies. This will make the game more enjoyable for all. As it stands now, however, I certainly have acquired enough knowledge -- esoteric and otherwise -- over the years about the sound production of AA, and it's not necessarily (and mostly) my 'ability' to hear that allows me to have a sound-centric advantage. Rather, my sound advantage -- irrespective of my overall experience -- has to do with exploiting the manner in which AA 2.5 produces sound. So I'm on here admitting to you that I exploit, but I'm doing so in a very strange manner that isn't at all illegal and "checkable," which brings us to my proposition.

Oh yeah, and the matter of the black, humongous, boxy shadows DEFINITELY has to be addressed. A temporary solution could be implementing a CVAR check that disallows putting Shadow Detail to "Full." If players want shadows, just let folks use Blob.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 10:17:34 AM by WORLDCHANCELLOR »

Offline Dialects

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
Sound:

The issue with sound is that there is no objective way to make it go away gradually without sacrificing CPU usage. Additionally, I am not entirely sure this can be addressed through code or whether it'll require someone to load every single map into the Editor and tweak the sound inputs all the way.

Maybe a simpler solution to this issue would be to take the 2.8.5 sounds and import them to 2.5 altogether? This would require less effort than the above mentioned. It may be a risky operation to take-on if the disparity between the audio files, audio sizes and audio names are of high leve, though.

Shadow:
Fixing shadows altogether requires some heavy-moderation (I think!) so I'd say disabling the Full-option would be most doable. Quite frankly, this shouldn't be too hard of a feature to edit.

Either way, I'll post this up on the Admin boards for further consideration.

/Dan
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline -[unR]BENDAWICH

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
My sound is terrible on win7 x64 compared to what it was on xp. More than likely a simple fix but i dont know of any.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 14:27:15 PM »
I've not had any issues with sound or shadows. I'm not quite sure what's being discussed. Seems like a bulk amount of complaining. Does anyone actually have screenshots or video of the problem?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 15:23:36 PM »
I've not had any issues with sound or shadows. I'm not quite sure what's being discussed. Seems like a bulk amount of complaining. Does anyone actually have screenshots or video of the problem?

Haha, don't worry, Spanky. I'm definitely not complaining. I just want to prevent folks like me from having such a BS advantage by masking my own sound via the game's deficiencies. This is quite BS, to be honest. It definitely feels that way, and I get accused of hacking daily, and I honestly don't blame folks for accusing. You wouldn't believe how often and easy it is for me to sneak up on people. As for those shadows:

And don't be silly enough to think I play with these shadows and this is the reason I can "sneak up" on people. Don't make me video record you!!! I've been doing that lately. ;-)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager