Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Ingame shoutbox  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Petrol

Ingame shoutbox
« on: Saturday, July 12, 2014, 13:15:18 PM »
Hi,t
I was thinking what could I destroy today, but instead of it I've got an idea to implement ingame ShoutBox.

Create command like `shoutbox`, which will make shout with HTTPrequest, same as assist do.

Auth server will push info to game server, which will brodcast message to the clients.

Offline zoxee

Re: Ingame shoutbox
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 12, 2014, 13:55:33 PM »
nah, we got to much lag already
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 12, 2014, 16:14:32 PM »
IMO a better implementation would be to write up a client-side GUI element in-game (that can be turned on/off) that shows a chatbox like the console. Then, to shout, you would just type "say !shout" in the regular console and it would send it to the shoutbox in Assist and here. That way, the in-game console isn't cluttered and there isn't more load put on the game server.

Course, I doubt ELiZ would spend time on something like this when it's already implemented into Assist (alt+tab). If someone from the community would write a good working version, it could probably be implemented.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 12, 2014, 16:18:03 PM »
IMO a better implementation would be to write up a client-side GUI element in-game (that can be turned on/off) that shows a chatbox like the console. Then, to shout, you would just type "say !shout" in the regular console and it would send it to the shoutbox in Assist and here. That way, the in-game console isn't cluttered and there isn't more load put on the game server.

Course, I doubt ELiZ would spend time on something like this when it's already implemented into Assist (alt+tab). If someone from the community would write a good working version, it could probably be implemented.
I don't know, that sounds like a lot of work for very little benefit. The shoutbox is pretty much just used for bitching and asking for help to problems. Neither of which would be useful to see during gameplay.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager