Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: servers  (Read 14927 times)

Offline (.shadow.)

servers
« on: Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 18:12:36 PM »
So question  why is there 34 servers? And yes I am asking this hoping people will see past the I want to own the server I play on so I can make the rules.... :style:

I feel if we consolidated the server list it would force people to play certain servers there for forcing everyone into the same server.

I only ask/bring this up because over the weekend I saw one server with 1 person and another with 2 ppl

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: servers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 07, 2023, 06:23:54 AM »
I think you've already got your answer:
I want to own the server I play on so I can make the rules.

With that said, the reason people are fine running empty servers is two fold (as I see it, anyway):
1. This is an old game and running a server for it is not too heave for a modern machine.
2. There is no additional cost associated with running a server. I.e back in the official days you had pay the US Amry for "honor", which meant you didn't really want to run an empty server. Though many competition-specific servers were just ran without honor.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline (.shadow.)

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 07, 2023, 11:19:17 AM »
just feel i people saw 3 in a server it would draw more attention than1 here and 2 there  :cool:

Offline HellB0Y

« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 08, 2023, 21:13:31 PM »
2. There is no additional cost associated with running a server. I.e back in the official days you had pay the US Amry for "honor", which meant you didn't really want to run an empty server. Though many competition-specific servers were just ran without honor.

Touching on this point, I recall the price of an honor server being far too much for my younger self to afford, so I've taken a trip to the Wayback Machine to see what it would have cost to rent an honor server / purchase honor for an AA server around 2007.

Gameservers.com:

AAHonor.com

These prices are pretty crazy even by todays standards. So in addition to the point that Teddy made, with modern hardware you are able to run, in some cases, multiple servers on a single machine for a fraction of the price it would have cost in the past (perhaps 1/10th or less).

As for the main point of this thread, I've noticed what you're describing generally happens if some players don't like the map that is being played, or the ping of the populated server isn't ideal for them. It's fairly rare, but I can't imagine consolidating the server list would really change that. Aside from that, you would have to restrict who has the ability to spin up a server, and I personally think it is cool that America's Army allows anyone to do so which is becoming less and less common in modern games unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 08, 2023, 21:19:45 PM by HellB0Y »

Offline (.shadow.)

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 09, 2023, 11:29:34 AM »
first of holy **** it cost that much back in the day  :shock: :shock: :shock:
i was just a kid then haha

secondly, yes i agree with you that it was cool anyone was able to have a server i squad for example like how i can choose a server to play instead of the game just throwing random people in a group (hope this makes sense xD)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager