Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Do you think 203 dropshots should be removed - The Thread?  (Read 6759 times)

Online teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: Do you think 203 dropshots should be removed - The Thread?
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, March 03, 2015, 17:42:22 PM »
In general, not only Bridge.

There are not many maps that this still can be done anyway. From what I know, it's:
Bridge
Bridge SE
Mountain Pass
(probably) Mountain Pass SE

maybe a few more old maps that I couldn't think of. Well I know you can use it on Pipeline if you don't try to shoot it over the building, but it's quite useless this way...
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline CS-ACI-

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, March 03, 2015, 19:48:49 PM »
Hello,

Coming from a Bridge playing clan, we had lots of drop shots down to a fine art, better when there was two 203's.

When we strayed off the Bridge, we still used drop shots on some of the other maps.

I personally have never fired a real 203. If you can use a real 203 in the same manner ( basically a mortar ) then it should be left as is, as this was how the real US Army wanted it.

Steve

Offline Lord-of-War

• Loyal Member
  • La vida no vale nada
    • View Profile
  • AA: Lord-of-War
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 02:28:22 AM »
This is what I read:

The M203 could engage a window sized target out to 150 meters and an area type target out to 450 meters.

The standard 40x46mm high explosive grenade has an effective casualty radius of 5 meters. The effective casualty radius is defined as the radius of a circle about the point of detonation in which it may be expected that 50 percent of exposed troops will become casualties. Safe-weapon practices for firing the M203 grenade launcher require a minimum safe distance of 130 meters for high explosive rounds, and 165 meters for HEDP. Range regulations stipulate that all targets have to be more than 200 meters away. The danger radius of the high explosive grenades is 130 meters (427 feet).

I have seen people firing up straight in the air behind arch or stairs and the dropshot only comes down after a significant amount of time - so this to me doesn't make sense if the first sentence (blue) is true. The dropshots that are fired straight up in the game must actually travel
a few kilometers taking the time it takes for them to come down.

I don't think the launcher has the strength to perform such shots.

And these shots I would define as the dropshots in question cause they are being fired at an angle of 75 degrees or higher

So in my opinion these dropshots (in real life) are a bit far fetched - correct me if I am wrong

Lord-of-War  :style:
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 04:09:21 AM by Lord-of-War »
"the world is basically a forced labor camp from which the workers - all innocents - are led forth by lottery, a few each day, to be executed," Cormac McCarthy

Offline Lord-of-War

• Loyal Member
  • La vida no vale nada
    • View Profile
  • AA: Lord-of-War
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 03:09:37 AM »
teddy should know - he is a mathematician  ;)

"the world is basically a forced labor camp from which the workers - all innocents - are led forth by lottery, a few each day, to be executed," Cormac McCarthy

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »
You dont get to practice firing on the excat lines on travel that the enemy takes every time in real life. This is for children no skill required just practice to make perfect. I never done it in game much. I resoreted to this when someone was to good for me. Its garbage. Where in real life can you stick a camara on the nade to see where it lands, This is for none players and children. On any map.
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 05:01:05 AM »
teddy should know - he is a mathematician  ;)

I'm a physicist, at least in thoery.

But I'll answer anyway.

This is what I read:

The M203 could engage a window sized target out to 150 meters and an area type target out to 450 meters.

The standard 40x46mm high explosive grenade has an effective casualty radius of 5 meters. The effective casualty radius is defined as the radius of a circle about the point of detonation in which it may be expected that 50 percent of exposed troops will become casualties. Safe-weapon practices for firing the M203 grenade launcher require a minimum safe distance of 130 meters for high explosive rounds, and 165 meters for HEDP. Range regulations stipulate that all targets have to be more than 200 meters away. The danger radius of the high explosive grenades is 130 meters (427 feet).

I have seen people firing up straight in the air behind arch or stairs and the dropshot only comes down after a significant amount of time - so this to me doesn't make sense if the first sentence (blue) is true. The dropshots that are fired straight up in the game must actually travel
a few kilometers taking the time it takes for them to come down.

I don't think the launcher has the strength to perform such shots.

And these shots I would define as the dropshots in question cause they are being fired at an angle of 75 degrees or higher

So in my opinion these dropshots (in real life) are a bit far fetched - correct me if I am wrong

I don't know exactly where you read this, but I hope it's a reliable source (it does look reasonable and wikipedia reports similar numbers).

What you need to understand is that the range you were reading about is effective range. That is the range at which you could actually engage a target.
It doesn't mean the M203 will not travel further. It means you would not expect to hit anything. At least in real life.

Now, shooting it straight up or even at 45 degrees is something that probably something nobody in a combat situation would do. Straight up is just firing at yourself and at 45 degrees you really wouldn't know where it lands. It will probably go significantly further than 450 meters, but since it's not practiced for more than 450m, you will probably have no clew where it lands.

As for shooting straight up, I know it takes quite a long time to come back in the game. But it is expected. The 203 looses it's momentum going up until it gets to 0 and then it starts to gain momentum towards the ground because of gravity. All of this will take quite a while.

I also know that the US Army used actual weapons to make this game, so I would expect the intial velocity of the projectile is what it is in real life (or close to it). I doubt air resistance is taken into consideration in AA, but it doesn't really matter that much.

Both the initial velocity as well as the maximum height can be directly calculated from the time it took for the 203 to fall down (without taking into account air resistance and assuming the same gravitational constant as in real life).

EDIT:Fixed a few idiotic things :)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 09:35:58 AM by teddy_grizzly_bear »

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Petrol

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 05:21:51 AM »
Weapon acuracy can be changed to make it shoot more randomly.

Offline OICURMT2!

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 06:10:56 AM »
I'm a physicist, at least in thoery.

But I'll answer anyway.
I don't know exactly where you read this, but I hope it's a reliable source (it does look reasonable and wikipedia reports similar numbers).

What you need to understand is that the range you were reading about is effective range. That is the range at which you could actually engage a target.
It doesn't mean the M203 will not travel further. It means you would not expect to hit anything. At least in real life.

Now, shooting it straight up or even at 45 degrees is something that probably something nobody in a combat situation would do. Straight up is just firing at yourself and at 45 degrees you really wouldn't know where it lands. It will probably go significantly further than 450 meters, but you since it's not practices for more than 450m, you will probably have no clew where it lands.

As for shooting straight up, I know it takes quite a long time to come back in the game. But it is expected. The 203 looses it's momentum going up until it gets to 0 and then it starts to gain momentum towards the ground because of gravity. All of this will take quite a while.

I also know that the US Army used actual weapon charctarisations to make this game, so I would expect the intial velocity of the projectile is what it is in real life (or close to it). I doubt air resisdence is taken into consideration in AA, but it doesn't really matter that much.

Both the initial velocity as well as the maximum height can be directly calculated from the time it took for the 203 to fall down (without taking into account air resisdance and assuming the same gravitational constant as in real life).

My apologies in advance for interjecting... but...
This post is the most awkward post I've ever read with respect to physics...
--
Oh, I See You Are Empty Too !

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 06:16:36 AM »
I personally have never fired a real 203. If you can use a real 203 in the same manner ( basically a mortar ) then it should be left as is, as this was how the real US Army wanted it.

i did that in my military time, more then once. and you can use it in the same way like on bridge. so its realistic.

Offline Petrol

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 08:15:06 AM »
How about accuracy?

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
My apologies in advance for interjecting... but...
This post is the most awkward post I've ever read with respect to physics...
Yeah, I was in a lecture, was trying to listen to the lecturer as well. I guess neither ended up good :D

i did that in my military time, more then once. and you can use it in the same way like on bridge. so its realistic.
Well there are different ways you can use it on Bridge.
You can shoot it at an angle up to (I guess) 30 degrees to hit an enemy 150-450 meters away.
Or you can shoot it at 85 degrees to hit the enemy behind a hill or something.

Which did you use?

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 14:24:00 PM »
We know spam nading happens in real life. BUT you dont get to practice were the ene,my will be running to every time you like. That is noyt realistic,
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

Offline Petrol

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 14:36:41 PM »
It is not a problem with 203 itselfs but with "GameRules"

Offline The Mentalist

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2015, 17:18:55 PM »
We all fell in love with the game how it was made. You guys already edited existing maps like hospital to change the gameplay instead of creating a new SF hospital without M203. I never spammed 203's in hospital, but they sure were usefull somethimes. I still have the reflex to press the button and then I remember that it's just not the same.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, March 05, 2015, 02:02:01 AM »
It looks like there is no support for a global disable of dropshots.

I'm however adding a Server Admin Option to enable it if they want.
At the moment, we are still experimenting, I have it enabled on my Test server(BC SFMod), as I never wanted to learn dropshots, I'm not really the right person to test the function. So I was wondering if you could join the server and try out some dropshots, and report back with what pitch angle was detected.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager