Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Auth servers  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Pipez0r

Auth servers
« on: Monday, December 07, 2015, 15:05:06 PM »
Whats wrong with them? Why do they crash so often and for so long time? Isnt there any solution for that?

Online teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: Auth servers
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 07, 2015, 16:38:08 PM »
When was it last down and for how long? From what I know it was last time for scheduled maintenance on 21st of November. But I'm not here 24/7 so I might be wrong.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 07, 2015, 16:41:10 PM »
It was down some time ago, check shoutbox :) some hours, sometimes partially up for some minutes and then again down.

Offline ronski

« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 07, 2015, 16:41:24 PM »
It was down for 1,5hours today (OMG) got back up and running stable like 30mins ago.

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 07, 2015, 17:29:39 PM »
Seems to be down again ... :(

Offline Scorpy

« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 07, 2015, 17:38:40 PM »
wish u where here me ohh my contry boy.  :?

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 01:41:30 AM »
Funniest thing is that admins don't seem to visit Assist on a regular basis. Auth down several times last few hours, and we got no explanation from them so far.

I'm sorry I don't meet your expectations and don't visit the site every hour.

Every time I come here it's been online. The only thing I can do is restart auth at a random time. I doubt it would change much, though.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ronski

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 01:53:01 AM »
wish u where here me ohh my contry boy.  :?
Wish you were here, don't you know the stove is getting colder..

Funniest thing is to notice how people starts complaining immediately if something is not working. We're lucky this game is even alive! Auth was down only 1,5 hours and it came back up about the same time when admins came online.

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 02:54:12 AM »
 Ronski, it went down again later.

Teddy: you are doing good work, keep it up!

My question is: what causes the auth to go down? The server  computers failing? Or the auth server software? What could help with it? If its server machines failing, arent there any other providers with a price that is good enough? If its software problem, is there any fix? If no fix, is it possible to put up a script that would look up if auth server is up and boot it if theres a problem?

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 05:13:04 AM »
Since I've not had to manually reboot it or start some of it's parts myself in ages, I can't say what's the problem at the moment.

In fact I'm not even sure whether somebody has had to restart it or it has come back on its own.
I suppose when ELiZ sees this, he might have more information about it.

Offline Nick

• Administrator
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 17:50:20 PM »
Since I've not had to manually reboot it or start some of it's parts myself in ages, I can't say what's the problem at the moment.

In fact I'm not even sure whether somebody has had to restart it or it has come back on its own.
I suppose when ELiZ sees this, he might have more information about it.

It appears to be more of a networking/routing issue with the provider over seas as the services from what I can tell after connecting after an outage are still running etc. Will continue to monitor it, however without us hosting it on our own machine instead of virtually, we are limited in how much we can do and control with the current provider.

Offline Nick

• Administrator
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 20:17:53 PM »
Oh, and btw, you realize what kind of bandwidth does the auth thing need, do you?

Sporadic packet to every alive server + sporadic packet to every active player? How much is this? Several hundred UDP packets per minute?

Network is not the problem. All auth needs is a stable running sinle unix machine, that's all. It's no rocket science, really.

It is the problem when the current host is having networking/routing issues upstream causing issues for us.

Not worth my time going back and forth with ya.

We will of course look into improving and rectifying this.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 20:20:07 PM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• Administrator
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 21:03:47 PM »
You mean when the network is 100% down? That's the exact case that i was describing, geez.

Ofc, cause you have no arguments left.

We are waiting.

I wasn't arguing? Just stating the obvious.

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 00:09:09 AM »
What about changing the provider? How much the virtual server costs per month/year with the current provider?

Offline Nick

• Administrator
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »
What about changing the provider? How much the virtual server costs per month/year with the current provider?

That is something we are/have been looking into :)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager