Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Auth servers  (Read 6484 times)

Offline halko

Re: Auth servers
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »
Isn't the current server provided for free? I would't change it. It does good for u guys to be sometimes offline.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Auth servers
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 13:11:43 PM »
I wouldn't put all the blame on the host. They do have problems and I think they were chosen due to cost, I think it was originally the host that Jonny used. It could be moved over to a new host but I remember it being a multi-day frustrating ordeal to rebuild the auth system when Jonny took it down a while back, it's all weird Linux stuff.

But there's probably a lot that could be done in Assist to make failures graceful and automatic restarts happen. I know ELiZ has mentioned this in the past and has worked towards it but the fact is, the bulk of Assist code (both server & client) is cobbled together. It could greatly benefit from a re-work in a proper language with better features/functions. ELiZ has done well with what was handed to him and the project jumped leaps and bounds. However, there's only so much that can be done with it currently and unfortunately for the community, ELiZ doesn't have unlimited time for a free project.

All this to say, it is what it is and you better not complain unless you're willing to devote the large amounts of time and knowledge to rework the system properly.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager