Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: ATL-TAB in linux is not working!  (Read 6640 times)

Offline TrinityAmad

ATL-TAB in linux is not working!
« on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 04:19:44 AM »
Hi,
I play on linux, window-mode, in the free time at job, but i have to close/hide quicly the window if the boss is coming...  :o
Alt-tab is not working when i'm playing, alt-f4 too, and the game it's always on top, so i can't get my pointer away the game window. (maybe it's because im playing in window mode?) Is there a third option? 
Thank you ;)

Offline ronski

Re: ATL-TAB in linux is not working!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 04:27:01 AM »
Hi,
I play on linux, window-mode, in the free time at job, but i have to close/hide quicly the window if the boss is coming...  :o
Alt-tab is not working when i'm playing, alt-f4 too, and the game it's always on top, so i can't get my pointer away the game window. (maybe it's because im playing in window mode?) Is there a third option? 
Thank you ;)
alt + tab (cmd + tab) technically works in Mac environment, but Wine ( = the game window ) is always on top. If I want to use another application on my main display while I play, I need to alt + enter ( cmd + enter ) the application to be shown in smaller window and drag the window away, for me there's no other way to hide it or use another apps on same window at the same time

Offline TrinityAmad

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 04:36:54 AM »
It's not the solution, because i can't get the pointer out for "drag" or hide the window...
If i press alt-enter it become full-screen  :shock:  and after re-pressing it become windowed but with the pointer blocked inside the window, so i had to close the game :(
(I'm a LINUX user, and i'm using the AAO25 Assist for playing, i don't know if i'm using wine or not)

Offline ronski

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 05:00:33 AM »
It's not the solution, because i can't get the pointer out for "drag" or hide the window...
If i press alt-enter it become full-screen  :shock:  and after re-pressing it become windowed but with the pointer blocked inside the window, so i had to close the game :(
(I'm a LINUX user, and i'm using the AAO25 Assist for playing, i don't know if i'm using wine or not)
I have zero knowledge about Linux systems but just saying that's the way it works for me with Mac and I bet there's more in common with Linux and Mac versions of the game than with either one of these and Windows version, the difference between the two of us is that I play in fullscreen mode and that cmd + enter just toggles the mode between fullscreen and windowed. When the game is active I cant drag it around either, but when it's windowed I can switch app from game to another with cmd + tab and like I said it technically works - it switches the active app but the game window is still on top, then while another app is active I can drag the game window where ever I want to.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 05:32:14 AM »
I'm at work right now so I can't really check if this works.

If you use Ubuntu (or possibly something else with gnome desktop environment), you should be able to tick Enable workspaces in All Settings -> Appearance -> Behavior tab.
After that you can use Ctrl+Alt+arrow to switch between different worksheets. I'm pretty sure your AA will be out of the way, I'm not sure if you'll have any control (i.e cursor or keyboard input).

If I remember to test later, I can let you know if and how well this works.

As for the problem in a more general sense, I don't actually know much about why it happens, but I'm pretty sure that the linux version also runs through wine so what ronski said is somewhat correct, but seeing as a mac has still got a different OS, the solution might not be the same.
Besides, I've seen similar problems running stuff in wine for other (potentially) full screen applications all the way to the point where the "fix" I described would crash the application fully.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 09:44:58 AM by teddy_grizzly_bear »
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 06:29:18 AM »
The "fix" I proposed doesn't work at all for me.
It might be because I run Assist as sudo because otherwise I get these errors:
Code: [Select]
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

So if you're able to run it without sudo, it might work for you, but I'm not sure.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline TrinityAmad

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
Not working :(  :shock:

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »
The only advice I can give you right now is to do Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or anything from F1 to F6, F7 should be the desktop) to get to a terminal...

Of course if you were to do that, it would make sense to have previously logged in there with your details and perhaps something interesting open.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »
25Assist > Settings > Video > Tick: Fullscreen Mode
I don't know if "Advanced FS" is used on linux as well, but if yes, then this should solve your problem.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 14:45:05 PM »
You can't click on "Advanced fullscreen" tickbox on Linux so I guess it doesn't exist.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 18:08:23 PM »
You can't click on "Advanced fullscreen" tickbox on Linux so I guess it doesn't exist.
as I thought :D
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager