Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Assist Renovation  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Petrol

Assist Renovation
« on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »
Hi.

I was talking with Jared about changes that could be deployed to our society. I was obligated to analyse it and write down my suggestions, so please read it carefully and give me your feedback.

Introduction

My main idea is to create back-end, which will be responsible for accounts, forum, game and statistics. It is huge step for our society, and I hope you wouldn't be disappointed. Statistics integration will make Battletracker useless, I don't know what would be done with current statistics, but it could be both rewritten or loose. It has some advantages, because we would have independent account management.

Some technical details
To create back-end, we need to have nice database and I think that MongoDB would be good choice there. On the top of that we could put RESTful API that could be used by WebSite and AssistApplications. I tend to pick EVE(http://python-eve.org/) as our RESTfull framework. It is quite easy to define data model, and extend it with some other features like authentication.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Assist Renovation
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 14:03:49 PM »
I doubt I can help since I know jack shit about all the modern fancy coding methods but this would be interesting to accomplish.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Petrol

« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 14:10:57 PM »
I have a question about collecting statistics. Would you be able to create Uscript module which will post round stats to the API? It seems to be possible.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 14:25:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure that was already started and ELiZ started harvesting stats.

I can't code for shit in Uscript, I can barely compile :) ELiZ can do pretty much anything though.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Petrol

« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 14:46:39 PM »
I will try to scrach some basic accounts, sesions and authentication.

Jared

« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 15:07:15 PM »
I'm not quite following which language you would develop in or is the RESTful API going to be the account system?

I haven't done much in python, and as much as i like mongoDB most people here don't know how to use it. I think the best solution would be to stick in PHP because the staff here knows how to use it along with mysql. I might be missing something tho.

I wouldn't mind redoing the the backend to update it and get to a restful state or at least some OOP. Its still all strung out on the servers.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 29, 2014, 15:09:05 PM by utRoda »

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 17:53:23 PM »
Stats are already collected and saved.
At the moment we don't do much with the data, the only exception is the toplists screens on BC and Hospital.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 18:07:37 PM »
i have a full course on MongoDB if anyone wants to learn it for this project,
i could upload it if needed. Mongo is a really powerful database.
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Petrol

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 04:34:34 AM »
I will try to give you working system, your task will be implementation of the rest of our data model.

I've selected EVE cause it seems to be simple for that task, because this framework is more declarative.  You will have to write corresponding frontend application.

MySQL is good data base, but for our needs it is quite hard to use. We would be obligated to write down lot of SQL queries, or use ORM. Bout solutions have one huge disadvantage: we need to write lot of imperative code for our application and take care for proper RESTful API.

I think Zoxe will help me with that project, am I right?

Offline zoxee

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 17:18:22 PM »
1. it's zoxee, not Zoxe.
2. i'm working 3 shifts atm, so no time.
3. if you should have a question i will try to answer it, pm me.
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 17:45:07 PM »
You have shot yourself in the foot by acting like you have in the past.
I don't trust you enough to have you design anything concerning the Core 25Assist applications.

Offline Petrol

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 03:26:59 AM »
You don't need to believe me, I am not a priest. There wouldn't be lot of code, so you will be able to check it by yourself. zoxee I am really sorry for mistyping your nickname, please forgive me.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
You don't need to believe me, I am not a priest. There wouldn't be lot of code, so you will be able to check it by yourself.

What is the upside for us?

Offline Petrol

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 08:06:37 AM »
There could be few advantages, by it depends on you how it will be used. In my opinion back-end consolidation will be the best thing that you will get.

Of course you will have to implement new website, and change behaviour of assist client and server manager.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 08:15:25 AM »
What is the upside for us?

There could be few advantages, by it depends on you how it will be used. In my opinion back-end consolidation will be the best thing that you will get.

Of course you will have to implement new website, and change behaviour of assist client and server manager.

so... none?

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager